MrMopar64

Look and let me know what you think

I did this job last weekend and was due to get paid today... this is not about that but haven't heard from the customer till today

She informed me today she is not happy with the sign because of the sign on the business next door... which isn't mine by the way... she says because of the purple sign next door nobody will see hers

I don' get it

Look at the pic and let me know what you think

Thanks

MM64 B)

post-7025-0-79155000-1389940100_thumb.jp

• Like 1

did she approve the color and design - that should be enough - I think yours looks very nice and more classy than purple

• Like 1

Yeah she did... but the owner made her put it on that window which she didn't want to do

But I don't see why she thinks the purple sign interfers with hers

MM64

I don't see anything wrong with it. It looks like the sign next door is probably not permanent anyway.

It obviously doesn't stand out as prominently as a solid purple banner, but if that's what she wanted she should have requested it.

• Like 1

Would you like us all to start calling them and request she pay you....?

On a serious note she has placed you in a no win situation. She is complaining about something that neither of you have any control of. What happens next month when the banner is replaced with a different color. 

Ask her what the solution is. Go from there. 

Got a razor scraper? ;-)

White vinyl on clear, un-tinted glass is never going to have the 'pop' that a bright printed sign will.

• They can add a colorful sheer drape inside that window to provide some background contrast.
  • They can tint that window dark to increase contrast.
  • They can have you print/outsource printed window perf with a serene, relaxing image that will draw attention, provide some contrast and not block too much sunlight.
  • They could ask the neighbors to move their sign over or remove it.
  • They can complain to the property manager if their neighbor's sign violates any agreements.

They can do any of those things, AFTER they pay you what they owe, else it's scrapin' (or suing) time... Their choice.

Otherwise, I think your work looks great.  I might have gone with a heavier font for "CHIROPRACTOR" and "MASSAGE THERAPY" to make them a little more visible, but if that is what the client agreed to, then it's up to them to offer to pay you for any changes.

Edited due to my tablet apparently not supporting line breaks and producing one massive paragraph..

Edited by OWJones

I would go out there and just remove the lettering & design and tell her the contract was breached and walk away.

If you obtained a deposit, that is forfeit.

I don't mess around with numbskulls.

It's approved in advance I get paid period. As for the purple I'd tell them if they don't like the neighboring stores sign they may want to discuss that with that store owner. I won't peel a finished job due to legal issues (at least not while they are there) but I have threatened to on a rare occasion and they all paid within 24 hours. Seems every time I've dealt with this it has been a not wanting to pay issue rather than a quality or design issue but they used that as an excuse to try and weasel out of paying.

You did the work ....you put it where it was dictated to go by her landlord and she had approved the signage and told you to put it in that spot you have done your job and in a good workmanship manner. Offer to remove and redo the lettering in colors charging for removal and new vinyl and reinstalling. Give her a price for that and if she rejects the offer demand payment immediatly or imply that you will start litigation that will add additional cost. Small amounts are not viable for litigation but sometimes the threat works.

Tell her that as long as she offers happy endings she doesn't really even need a sign, men will find her! lol

Seriously tho....

I bet she requires payment for her services and so do you! How would she like it if she gave you a massage and then you told her that you like the massages better down the road so you're not going to pay her?
Try and politely tell her that and also mention that it is not your fault that she had to put it on that window and you can't control what the neighboring store does. 

If that doesn't work tell her she will be getting a call from your lawyer. 

Always make sure to get a deposit up front for your work. Make sure that it is enough to cover your material cost and some of your labor. I usually ask for half up front, that way if they do this I at least covered my costs. 

• Like 3

tell her to add a purple pull down shade on the inside!   or for a fee you will add a sheet of purple is she pays extra then they will think she is part of their business.   she could add a conflicting red shade too that would make theirs look like crap

• Like 2

I like HDN's thought. If she doesn't pay up soon we can all start a calling tree and make like we are each a separate collection agency. 

I'd sneak up in the middle of the night and remove the M and the AGE from Massage and see if that gets her noticed, but than again, I'm a vindictive sort of person!

I can't stand people like this, they irritate me!!

Bottom Line, she approved design, color and location.

You should get paid for work completed.

Send her a bill and a notice that if not paid withing 30 days you begin to add interest and late fees.

If she wants to add to it that's a different story, you need to get paid for completed work before adding to it though.

Thanks guys for the responses... The issue is not really getting paid I'm sure she will pay I haven't tried to collect yet

I don't see anything wrong with it and wanted to know if I was missing something taht you guys could pick out and let me know

And as far as the font I had a heavier font but they wanted it changed to the same font as the store sign so thats what I used

That window is 2 different customers. The bottom one has paid up

As for a fix I told her to get a black tinted shade to put behind it. she seemed happy with that idea and said she would look into it

so fingers crossed

MM64 B)

• Like 2

There will always be more impact with a colored background! Def not your fault because of it. You didn't design whole complex. You deserve to be paid.

i agree,, she approved it. if she says she wont pay, then yes i would drive right over there and peel it off.

on the other hand tell her, that a DVD SALE! sign wont last long, and really,,, $22.99 for a DVD lol.

really tho not many people will actually look or care about the DVD sale sign, at a glance  ( when people are driving or walking by ) yours stands out more, theres more "design" to it. its "louder" than just a plain old dvd sale sign. ... and it dont look like some dallor store sign :D.

Just say hey maam, im sorry your not happy, be right over and remove it. or you can try to argue your way through it, but if she dont pay, there isnt much you can do about it... except yea, remove the vinyl, which does suck... 

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out

UPDATE

Got paid no problem... her and the landlord decided to tint that one window. not sure if its been done yet

I have more work up there Sat. so I'll see then if it done... I post pix if it is

MM64 B)

• Like 1