chipperi

More help with mutiple layers

I have gotten some requests for multi color work so I just made up a file it's just my name and some graphics for some practice... How do I cut the image into the green background so I don't have vinyl layered over vinyl. When I look at the color separation the green is one solid piece, Ultimately I would like the cut out of the rest of the colors to be slightly larger leaving a slight border/empty space around the rest of the image..

layers.svg

for this image it should be rather simple to do, you just have to remember its get applied kind of backwards when layering.

so cut all 3 colored layers first.

then mask ether the blue or red and in this case it doesn't matter since nether of them overlap each other.

if you choose to mask the blue layer first then apply the blue layer onto the red layer and now the blue layer and the red layer should be masked together and then you can apply that to the green layer and its done.

this might help too..

I no longer have a copy of SCALP so it's hard to remember what terms they use for things but in a nutshell you will need to make a copy of the top object(s) and paste it in place then upsize it or more accurately offset the paths so that it is larger than the original then select both the new larger version of the top and the original green background and there should be a tool to combine them and create a knock out in the green background. (an alternative can also be to add some line weight or color to the object then convert the path to object which should accomplish roughly the same thing as offsetting the paths)  In Inkscape that is called "difference" I don't know what SCALP calls it but there should be a similar tool. This should make essentially a hole in the lower (green) layer and hopefully you have offset your paths to the point that it creates a void between the original top object and the new green object. If you can figure out how, it may be useful to lock the original top object(s) after you copy/paste so that you don't accidentally mess with them while you are monkeying around with the new pasted version. I usually change the color from the original so I can see which one I am messing with.  

That's the theory at least. I draw in Illustrator which uses different terms and has some other options that make this much easier so I am having to remember what I can about SCALP and also the little I use Inkscape. Seems Inkscape was very similar to SCALP. (I'm no good in Inkscape either to tell the truth)

I watched this video. Maybe it's just me, maybe it doesn't matter in the UK. But if I'm gonna do work for pay, and if I'm gonna post a video on youtube, I'm gonna at least measure and make sure the decal is parallel to the edges. Look at the bottom of the words "SERVICE DEPARTMENT". Does it not look higher on the end? He just taped it up there and went to peeling.

Well I duplicated the star and the name, I placed it where I wanted it and "excluded" it now I have a perfect knock out. However if I try to resize either the graphic or the background in order to create a little border areas like the center of the p or in the h gets all wonky....I'll keep banging at it.

You need to do an expand or outline or what ever it is called in SCALP. A resize will only work for simple shapes.

Hmm looked through every one of the menus and didn't find the words expand or outline.....could they be called something else?

You need to do an expand or outline or what ever it is called in SCALP. A resize will only work for simple shapes.

Hmm looked through every one of the menus and didn't find the words expand or outline.....could they be called something else?

Shadow layer.

Thats exactly what I am looking to do, I just won't cut the grey layer....Now I have to try to repeat what you did.

If you have the "exclude thing down then you're most of the way there. Just have to figure out the best way to upsize the image before you do it. Thats what I was trying to explain but didn't get across to you. In some programs you can change the outline which currently has no color and this will make the image bigger. You will have to assign a color to the path rather than to the fill and then make it bigger by going....say 15pt or whatever looks good to you, then you have to convert the line to outline the color you just added to it. It's kind of hard to explain in words and even a little weird as a concept. When you have color on a path it's just a color and the vector is still just a single line but if you then convert that to an outline around the color you get a new abject that has width and can be then excluded to produce the space between things you are looking for. If we were talking Adobe Illustrator I could tell you exactly what keystrokes to do to accomplish this but I don't know my way around SCALP enough to help other than theoretic direction. Vectors are vectors and each program ends up with the same thing but they use different terminology to get there.