GuyDurden

First Large Job-Trailer Lettering- how to charge for large jobs?

Hello everyone!

I got a 24" MH-721, and after a year of just letting it sit, messing with it sporadically, I finally broke down over Christmas break and made a few pretty decent decals.

Next thing I knew, my friend (who is in a custom production biz) hired me out to make him 40 stickers for a rediculous profit, so I did those. 

Now, with those under my belt, it appears I got someone's interest, someone with a large enclosed trailer. He would like 3 large decals on 3 sides of the trailer.

the two sides will have 19" letters and an approx 15x15" logo, the total job on the sides is about 40" X 108" in, with the exact same decal on the back, scaled down to fit @ 14"x 70". 

He just wants one color, black vinyl (IDK if i should recommend matte over gloss for this application? I'm partial to matte) 

I planned on using Oracle Intermediate CAL 651, and will probably need a few rolls of the 24"X 50 yd. Do you guys think this is an appropriate grade for this outdoor job?

I did some *quick* number crunching, and came up with a vinyl cost around $0.37/foot? Sound right? 

Anywho, I would be installing this for him, which I've never done something this big either. BUT, I would really like to help this guy out on pricing, he's a pretty friend in a bit of a pickle, so what would you guys charge? I figured I would start there, and knock-down what I think would benifit him and I the most....

I used a few simple online calculators, and they seem to think this is about an $780-$800+ job.....that seems a bit rediculous to me (on the high end), or did I just stumble into the right biz? :P

Thanks again everyone!

That price would reflect higher quality cast vinyl which is recommended for this type of work but if calendered is acceptable I'd be somewhere around $400 depending on whether there are screws or rivets to contend with.

• Like 1

I am trying to remember his trailer off the top of my head...I'm not remembering rivets...but I had them in mind. I am going to seem him very early next week and I will double check. 

$400 seems more reasonable, though the design is a *tad* bit more complicated than just letters. He has "wood grain" running off the letters, which is a bit of a pain on my software to get cuts, and some "wear and tear" looking cuts within the letters themselves, additionally, I am installing them myself..

I also would prefer the higher quality vinyl, but I am not sure it is within this customer's budget. 3-5 years on this trailer will make him quite pleased. 

I am trying to figure out a very precise sq/ft'age for this job as well.......if I didn't give enough information, let me know, I could probably also upload the image if absolutely necessary (or perhaps just part of it to give you the idea)

Thanks alot!! 

I've had 651 out for around 5 years and it still looks acceptable. It just shrinks more and doesn't like to wrap around compound curves.

Me personally? I will let you know after I get this job done!  ;)  Never done it before, I have heard of the pita of removing them, but honestly idk this is my first large job. 

For Vehicles you should use a cast vinyl... and invest in a torch or heat gun and a rollepro to conform to rivets.

I would be in the $650. Range but with premium cast . You can use a tennis ball on rivits or a rivit brush or one of the commerical tools mentioned above. Get a good quality heat gun with variable heat settings. Also make sure the surface has been cleaned very well. If you use a wet app you, may want rapidtac 2 for the cold weather.

Start with a higher price, you can always go down. Never start low, you will constantly wonder if you could have made more. 

I would go with about $850 for the job using the intermediate vinyl, If he doesn't like that price tell him you will crunch the numbers again and see what you can do to help him out. 

Then offer him a deal at $650 and let him know that you are pretty much giving the job away and that you are doing him a favor and hope that he brings in more work for you from elsewhere. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I've been cranking out practice runs when my son occupied for a few minutes (he's 3, so it's short burst of work over long periods of time :P). 

I think i will go over there with the two types of vinyl i have, so he can clearly see there is a 'you get what you pay for in materials' factor. Then I can gander at those possible rivets and see the canvas in daytime. I'll offer up the two prices I come up with, and explain to him the pros and cons. 

After that, I am going to see if I can improvise some sort of application device and maybe order something with the vinyl. As far as heat guns, I'm pretty sure where I am will have a day between freezing and short sleeves in the window he wants this done :P But it might help with the rivets, but idk about my skills, will prob need a practice piece  to work with first. 

I use heat gun and my finger to smooth them out. Before I heat the vinyl I take my knife and poke a tiny hole toward the bottom of the rivet to let the trapped air release.

• Like 1

The heat gun isn't for the temperature, it's to set/reset the vinyls memory to the rivets and any curvature. If you don't post heat them after applying over rivets it will fail, either calendered or cast.

• Like 1

Heat does make calendered lay down easier as well as help it to gain that memory but as many will tell you with calendered there is always a chance the vinyl tent up around the rivets later on.