OWJones

Time for a newer - bigger monitor

http://tiamat.tsotech.com/4k-is-for-programmers

I can get a 39" monitor (I mean, television) with 3840 x 2160 resolution for only $500?  That 30 Hz is going to be rough on the eyes, I suspect, especially for people writing code all day, but for graphic design it could be awesome!   Especially if they follow the advice of the author of that article and bump it to 60 hz (or higher)

You know I design on a 21" iMac. My brother is a programmer and has the 27" and I actually prefer mine. I bought mine smaller because of cost but after trying to play on his the other day I had to scoot back a little, it was just too much. Maybe I would get used to it and it would sure be nice when I wanted to be zoomed in and still see the rest of the file but I was surprised to find it almost too much.

yea i've tried designing on my 32", 42" and 47" led tvs and it's just too big.. personally, i'd stick with something around 30" or less

WAY too big to use for a computer monitor

Only if you try to use the whole thing at once...  

I've got a 27" monitor now and I run my apps in windows rather than full screen, but I have multiple windows and gadgets going at the same time.  With a bigger monitor I could have more windows open, and if I needed to preview a design at life size I could tap a key and BAM -- 39" display!

On my cutting machine I only have a 24" monitor, but when I do shows, I sometimes tote along the 42" TV I bought just for that purpose and hook it up facing the crowd so people can watch what I'm doing without having to lean over my table...  It's nice seeing a design big like that.

• Like 1

I have worked on 32" and the older I get the more my eyes like things bigger. My questions is can you configure something so that designs don't lose their perspective, for example when I draw a square it looks like a rectangle and circles look like ovals.

I run dual 24inch monitors wouldn`t change it.

Perfect set up for me.

mark-s

• Like 1

I have worked on 32" and the older I get the more my eyes like things bigger. My questions is can you configure something so that designs don't lose their perspective, for example when I draw a square it looks like a rectangle and circles look like ovals.

Depending on how you are connecting to the TV, Yes, you just need to find the right resolution setting on the computer to match up with the TV. If you're using has DVI, or HDMI out to connect to the TV then it shouldn't be a problem. If you're using an older computer that has VGA, or S-Video you may or maynot be able to adjust the resolution correctly, depends on the video card capability.

You also want high resolution, not just a large screen. The higher the resolution, the more stuff you can get on your screen.

Actually using a flat screen monitor for now and it annoys the crap out of me. Will be upgrading to 32" tv for monitor this spring but I didn't want to have the same problem

You should be able to change the resolution on the computer to match the monitor. No idea how to do it on a Mac but on windows 7 just right click anywhere on the desktop, select screen resolution ahd then pick a different resolution till you find one that fits the screen.

It's more like it stretch's everything to fit which is fine for most things but when you stretch a square into a rectangle it becomes an issue. Almost like Corel needs to be adjusted to compensate.

Really these are no good for designers as the colors tv's are known to be very bad. Plus 30 hzs would drive a person batty after 8 hours I would think. What about viewing angle? It is never good on tvs and I am sure on a budget model like that it would be horrendous.

To do it right get a nice IPS monitor or 2 and be done with it. I run one 27" ips with a native resolution of 2560 x 1600. and 2 24" IPS 1920's on each side and 1 20" 1440 that mirrors my main on a articulating arm mounted to the front of my desk for customers to see what I am seeing on my main monitor. I did try the new 30" ips from dell that matched my 27" but really it was to big for me. I love my 27 and it has been running strong for 5 plus years. Colors are spot on and viewing angle is superb with no color loss, darkening or bluing at even extreme angles.  

It's more like it stretch's everything to fit which is fine for most things but when you stretch a square into a rectangle it becomes an issue. Almost like Corel needs to be adjusted to compensate.

Yeah, that's what will happen with you run at a resolution that is not the same ratio as what the monitor is.

I'll have to play with the settings and see if I can get it better. Hell it's just a cheap Acer monitor but I needed to free my desk from the boat anchor that was my CRT monitor. Gained a lot of valuable real estate going flat no I just want to go a little bigger. Maybe I'll bring the 32" from the house for a couple days just to see how I like it all day long.

Dual Dell 21" monitors.

They weren't cheap but now I wont go back.

We got a couple of Hanspree lately and there's no comparison. You can tell they're cheap.

Have any of you used the 4k 38" monitors... its awesome for computer use. I had one for a little while as a demo and it worked awesome, only problem is it requires a really beefy video card or it takes alot of cpu power.

I know a guy that has a land leveling business. He uses a 46 inch tv for his monitor. Helps him design field layouts he says, but to me it is blurry. You can google a chart online and see what tvs are best viewed at certain distances. It would be nice to have if you were sitting on a couch and looking 10 feet away I guess, but not so much at point blank range.

I've always used a 32" LCD...thinking about going to a 40" LED or OLED...love not having to squint.