darcshadow

Son's Hand and foot

I took a scan of my son's hand and foot and used it to make a life size template for etching which I put on some mugs for my parents. It's their first year as grandparents. :) Used the etching cream for these. Came out pretty pretty good.

post-25571-0-15102300-1389045379_thumb.j post-25571-0-78879600-1389045379_thumb.j

Then over Christmas I purchased an Air Eraser and tested out how it would work on a Dollar Store plastic tumbler. I was very pleased with the results.

post-25571-0-45794300-1389045380_thumb.j

• Like 2

O wow that does look good for the cream.. How long did you leave the cream on for

Ok i have tried the cream and it works pretty good but it is damn expensive...lol. I was digging around in my father in laws shed and found a brand new central pnuematice gravity feed sand blaster.. Think im gonna give that a try

Ok i have tried the cream and it works pretty good but it is damn expensive...lol. I was digging around in my father in laws shed and found a brand new central pnuematice gravity feed sand blaster.. Think im gonna give that a try

It's more addicting then heroin.  

You might as well just buy the blast cabinet.  

Go-C i wanna test the waters first and see what happens and if i like it.. Hell i might make my own damn cabinet like others on here......lol.  

If you have a compressor already you can get underway for around $75. I bought the Air Eraser from HF for $25, a clear tote, plexi glass, and some rubber gloves for about $30 from Lowes, and 5 pounds of Aluminium Oxide 120 grit for $14 from ebay. Probably should of got some actual blast gloves, $10 from ebay, but I didn't want to wait.

turned out really good. did you use vinyl to make your template? Ive tried oracal 651, 631 and greenstar. 631 worked the best so far for me using blasting cabinet. left the least residue and was easiest to remove afterward.

I've been using up the greenstar that I still have laying around. Will probably switch to 631 once I run out of scraps.

i spent more time cleaning off glue residue from the greenstar then any of the rest of the process

That's why I use paint mask, don't have all that adhesive residue left.

TP Tools has plans, and parts for DIY blast cabinets.

I run it under hot water while removing the vinyl, haven't had any residue issues.

• Like 1

I run it under hot water while removing the vinyl, haven't had any residue issues.

ill give that a try. need to find a use for all this greenstar lol....its also my packing tape.

• Like 1

Nice job on the mugs. They really look nice. Joker I have seen where people have taken one of the plastic wash tubs that you use in the basement and put a piece of clear plastic on top and cut some hand holes in the front and there is a drain already built in.

Same here. Hot tap water while you peel also warms your hands back up from this frigid temps we have all been whining about. 

• Like 2