fuz

Looking to upgrade my cutter

Hi guys  ;D

I started doing vinyl decals as an initial investment in late 2012. It wasn't until last spring and especially December when things really started to go good. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first got my machine and accessories. I have learned alot in the past year. Because of my lack of knowledge, I bought a low model R-series by Signwarehouse. Albeit a cheap machine, it has made me some good money but also caused me some headaches. The motherboard crapped the bed 1 week before my warranty ended. Luckily, got it fixed for free. I've easily cut 1000+ decals with it ranging from 4" - 12" wide.

Lately I am not impressed with the performance and how it handles small letters. It doesn't seem to be cutting letters all the way and small ones look rough. I don't believe it to be the blade. I'm in the market for a $400-$500 machine from USCutter that is atleast 24" wide. While I would like a Roland or Graphtec, it will have to come at a later time. 

The biggest thing for me is for the machine to cut small letters pretty precisely. 

Thanks

use searchtempest to watch for a used graphtec or roland - you can find them for around $500 if you give it a little time. there are so many cutters out there right now the price has plummeted but will go up a little after tax refunds come in.  I got a old graphtec fc4100-75 once for $175 was one of the best cutters I have ever had!

I think the first one that was even a major step up was the copam - but the redsail you have now is in line with a mh series on usc

I would also counsel you to keep saving and waiting and try and find a used better quality machine. I don't think you're going to see that much of an improvement and you don't want to be setting in the same position in another year or two. You are going to want to try and get a machine with a servo motor rather than a stepper. 

Is there anything in particular I should look for in a used machine? I am a little weary of that unless I can find a trusted seller. I know that there would be no warranty included.

The most imortant thing it to look for servo motors instead of the stepper motors that most low end machines use.

have them demo it first.  beside replacing cutting strips, blade holders and they all get new blades. haven't had to do much to them (other than ones I bought with bad mb's)

Hi guys  ;D

I started doing vinyl decals as an initial investment in late 2012. It wasn't until last spring and especially December when things really started to go good. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first got my machine and accessories. I have learned alot in the past year. Because of my lack of knowledge, I bought a low model R-series by Signwarehouse. Albeit a cheap machine, it has made me some good money but also caused me some headaches. The motherboard crapped the bed 1 week before my warranty ended. Luckily, got it fixed for free. I've easily cut 1000+ decals with it ranging from 4" - 12" wide.

Lately I am not impressed with the performance and how it handles small letters. It doesn't seem to be cutting letters all the way and small ones look rough. I don't believe it to be the blade. I'm in the market for a $400-$500 machine from USCutter that is atleast 24" wide. While I would like a Roland or Graphtec, it will have to come at a later time. 

The biggest thing for me is for the machine to cut small letters pretty precisely. 

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you - I didn't do any research and bought an R-series from SignWarehouse and nothing but headaches with it.  I saved up and bought a Graphtec and now I can't imagine ever using anything less.  It's really true that you get what you pay for.

You can cut small letters with cheaper cutters - if you're willing to put the time into tweaking everything - get your blade depth perfect, get your speed and pressures dialed in, etc., but I set my Graphtec up, set it to the default values and was in business without needing to tweak anything.  I'm lazy, so I like the "set it and forget it" process better.

• Like 3

Okay now guys quit with the graphtecs and rolands your starting to hurt my feelings. My Sc cutter cuts just darn fine....lol

• Like 2

Okay now guys quit with the graphtecs and rolands your starting to hurt my feelings. My Sc cutter cuts just darn fine....lol

If you ever use a Graphtec, you will understand.

• Like 1

If you ever use a Graphtec, you will understand.

+1 I currently have the graphtec plotter I wouldn't part with (except for a newer graphtec) and roland printer so I am pretty happy.   those that haven't had the opportunity to try the graphtecs just can't get it.  have never heard of anyone sorry they got one.

• Like 1

I don't even own a Graphtec but my GCC is close. When I went from the P-Cut to the GCC I couldn't believe how much easier it was to do things that I struggled with on my old cutter.

• Like 1

+1 I currently have the graphtec plotter I wouldn't part with (except for a newer graphtec) and roland printer so I am pretty happy.   those that haven't had the opportunity to try the graphtecs just can't get it.  have never heard of anyone sorry they got one.

Maybe they should go read Bossman's replies after he got his Graphtec  CE6000-60  from using an SC cutter before.  

• Like 2

fuz - Upgrading is a wonderful experience. Having the time invested learning a budget model will pay off for you when you DO upgrade because you will appreciate all the niceties that accompany a good cutter and you will be able to dial in real tight because you had to do that just to get a reasonable job done on the cheaper cutter. Those same efforts on a higher quality cutter will produce awesome results. It's all the same concept, cutting depth, pressure, speed vinyl type, etc. The difference is you can ignore the tracking and once you figure out the settings I have about three minor changes I make depending on the products that I am working on and unless I am doing some minuscule text work I don't even have to pay much attention or worry about the cutter anymore. I throw some vinyl in, load my job in the computer, the program determines if I have wide enough vinyl, I push cut and walk away and come back to cut the roll off when I am ready to start weeding. No more hovering over it every minute or watching to be sure it doesn't run off an edge or worry about it locking up or trying to guess how many copies I can cut without causing a memory glitch or spraying anti-static spray around the cutter. I think you get my point. Heck I even had my laptop crash right in the middle of a huge cut and the cutter had already received the file so it just ignored the fact that the cutting program went offline and finished the job!  

All I am suggesting is don't short-change yourself. If you aren't able to upgrade to a servo motored machine I don't think it's even worth wasting the precious $$$ unless your current machine is not getting the job done. Of coarse that is just MHO. I'm not knocking the cheaper cutters. I still have fond memories of my P-Cut. Kind of like my first car, a 1972 International Scout. Still have fond memories about it but would I be driving one right now? Oh heck no! If I had unlimited garage space I might hunt it down for pure nostalgia and park it somewhere to threaten my kids with if they get a ticket in their regular car but that's about it. I kept the P-Cut for a few months as "back-up" but ofter a short time I realized it was taking up space and devaluing itself so i sold it on craigslist. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I will be on the lookout for a reasonably priced Roland or Graphtec. I am sure the software will be different but it's nothing I probably couldn't handle. As some of you said, it may come down to buying a cheaper model on USCutter as a back up while I still search for a better cutter. I hope it doesn't come down to that but still a possibility. I am just worried about my current one crapping the bed again. Had to wait 3 weeks for the motherboard to be replaced and that's precious time I can't lose again.

I have my eye on an event this summer. Some dealership owner throws a huge car show and it attracts thousands of people. Food, bands, antiques, burn outs, carnival etc. They also set up free vendor tents. I am hoping to get down there this year and make some business. One of my goals for 2014. Meanwhile, I will keep at it on this forum to learn new things.

most of us worked our way up saving for the next plotter on the way up - I had mh, p-cut then copam before the graphtecs and rolands so it isn't anything most of us haven't been thru and the value cutters give you a lot of valuable troubleshooting and "dialing in" experience  making the money to upgrade.  it is a never ending process with equipment - just when you get to the printer stage the cost goes up substantially on the replacements LOL

• Like 1

Jay the thing is i did start out with a graphtec. it was a ce1000. did my mother in law said give her 800 for it and i told her iw was not worth that kinda money... So i gave it back to her and it still sits. So i bought what i could afford. One day my friends one day.. I will have another...

• Like 3

Jay the thing is i did start out with a graphtec. it was a ce1000. did my mother in law said give her 800 for it and i told her iw was not worth that kinda money... So i gave it back to her and it still sits. So i bought what i could afford. One day my friends one day.. I will have another...

Sucks to go backwards but at least this one can't be taken away on a whim. It's all in the fine tuning and if you get good on a cheaper cutter you can do almost anything on a higher end machine.

• Like 2