ladymare

Not sticking to particle board

I'm having the worst time! I have a customer that ordered a "subway" sign 12X24 particle board. I spray painted it with rustoleum satin red. I'm using a white 651 to apply the wording and the sucker just does not want to stick. The husband and I have spent well over an hour cutting away application tape (RTape AT65) and burnishing with our fingers to get it to stick. Not at all cost effective. Any advice? Different paint? Spray adhesive? 

The customer had a great idea with these and I'd love to add a few to my shop, but not at this rate! 

Thanks in advance!!

Your problem may be that the paint is not cured. I not sure what the cure time for spray paint is, I would let it sit for a day or two then clean the surface and try again.

A good indication of whether paint has cured is putting your nose very close to the surface.

If no paint odor is detected, it's probably cured and no longer gassing.

There are exceptions, though. Some finishes dry and cure predomantly by

chemical reaction rather than evaporation and may yield different results. (epoxies, for instance)

How smooth is the surface you're applying the vinyl to?  Is there some particular reason you're using particle board as your substrate?

Spray cans can take a month or more to cure. There's so much solvents, and stuff in them to keep them sprayable, for years, it just takes a while for them to cure. Try going over it with some liquid Rustoleum and a roller. Next time, prime the board first.

• Like 1

Sorry! Totally forgot I had this open. I switched from spray paint to Acrylic craft paint and It's been working perfectly. I chose particle board because for $20 I can get 14 12X24 boards, reducing my cost. The other 2 boards are about 10X24. 

for 35 to 45 dollars you can get a sheet of Di-Bind single sided and have 16 12" x 24" panels with no prep work and made for signs. 

Where can we get it for that price, Mopar... If ypu don't mind me asking ?

Pretty much anywhere. I order most panels from N.Glantz. They have different grades also. Be-Bond is less than 30 per sheet, With some upwards of 60 per single sided. 

• Like 1

I just checked where I get it and it's $61. I checked N. Glantz the other day on coro and they killed my other supplier so I guess I need to check with them on this now.

Mopar you wouldn't happen to have a part # handy would you?

Be-Bond 3mm econo ACP is listed in their catalog for less than 40 per sheet. EMFB30. Talk to your sales rep. I normally get twenty or more at a time, really brings the price down also. But I am sure a little talking could beat the 39 buck mark also. When I get in I will look also cause I know some is cheaper yet. 

• Like 2

Now that's some great info and thanks for taking the time to look up the # for us. Grimco has been hitting me for $52 for 1 sided max metal so there is definitely money to be save here.