Sign in to follow this  
PointOfExpression

Need some input on laminating

So I just bought a wide format printer so I can print some bumper stickers and full color decals. I will be getting some of the papilio vinyl paper but now but my question is about laminating. I have heard some people using 651 transparent as laminate, any thoughts on this? What about the clear coat spray as a laminate from papilio? Lastly, if none of the previous work, should I start out with individual laminate sheets or should I buy a roll? Do I need the laminate roller to apply or can I apply with a squeegee?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What type of ink are you using in your wide format printer?  If it's not pigment based, you're going to run into fading issues pretty quickly.  Even if it is pigment based, you'll still eventually run into fading issues.  Desktop printer inks just can't compare long term to solvent based inks in the high-end printers for long term use.

I use Papillio inkjet vinyls in my pigment ink printer and laminate with either Oracal 651 clear, or with Oraguard 210 (I bought some narrow rolls off of ebay).   My process is to print and then contour cut the design and weed away the excess (leaving the registration marks) and laminate and then cut again with a slightly larger contour so the laminate extends past the design and helps provide a better seal around the edge.   I've only been doing this for a year, so I can't offer up any long term results, but so far I haven't had any significant issues.

• Like 1

According to the Epson website, the WF7010 uses "4-color DURABrite® Ultra pigment ink" so you've got the better of the two possible default desktop ink types. If you're planning to do a lot of prining, I highly recommend adding a CIS system to your printer.

I have a WF1100, which is the older version, and it's amazing how fast those tiny ink cartridges run out. CobraInk.com sells CISS packages and ink refills that will save you a lot of money in the long run. I use a $30 CISS package I bought on ebay, but it's filled with ink from Cobra.

• Like 1

I have the workforce 435 from Cobraink and I've saved more in ink than what the printer cost me in the first year.