Sign in to follow this  
rynecoop

finished my web site

well I just finished my web site, well kinda.  I still have some more pages to add, but you can get the idea.  Check it out, and let me know what you think.  Here is the link http://www.rhynod-signs.com  you can also sign my guest book if you want.

thanks

Guest Terry

Don't be upset... But you best go back to work on it, or have help doing it.

That dont upset me at all, Just wondering if you have any suggestions as to why I should go back and work on it?  I have never done a web site before, and I am not really loooking for anything fancy, just something that can get my info out there.

It looked good to me,except for one spelling/grammatical error which is easily fixed (Ourselves,not Our Selfs) Other than that,good job for first try. I've seen professionally designed that didn't look as good.

My 2 cents... Lose the music.  Not a big fan of noisy websites.

What software did you use to make it?  Detail please.  I want to start on one soon.

Thanks,

Chuck

Make that two of us for lose the music! I couldn't mute it fast enough.

Other then that -- not bad for a first attempt.

Just one of the reasons I've never posted my website, to many critics............  :-  :)

I agree though about music, you want a potential customer concentrating on your products/services instead.  I don't find it easy to put together a website and I think you have done a nice job.

One of the suggestions I have is maybe you could put a banner or photo with maybe your logo on it?  Just to jazz up the front page....just a suggestion.

Jenny

Looks pretty good rynecoop

In this day and age I think we all need all the help and advice we can get  :) I've come across so many vendor websites and have decided to go with someone else because the overall impression of the business which includes their website. It's not too hard to put together a decent functioning website and should be a big part of a company's marketing plan.

I have done quite a few using dreamweaver so if anybody needs any advice or help just ask!  :)

I dont think it is bad. It is nice and simple. You could post a few more pictures to grab the user attention, but as John said, I've seen professional web ages that dont look like this. I think that the point of giving your info and placing your products online is achieved. It can be work more, but for a first try, it is very good.

Get rid of the music.

Joe

Gee Wiz Terry, your comment about Ryne's web site was very negative. read the other posts, especially BENR98 and BK2DESIGN, and then come on back to what this forum is all about.

his site needs work but he had the where with all to put it out there and his efforts will pay off in the long run and i can only respect that effort.  daniel t voicing my 2/5ths of a nickle.

Gee Wiz Terry, your comment about Ryne's web site was very negative. read the other posts, especially BENR98 and BK2DESIGN, and then come on back to what this forum is all about.

his site needs work but he had the where with all to put it out there and his efforts will pay off in the long run and i can only respect that effort.   daniel t voicing my 2/5ths of a nickle.

I'm glad someone else said it. I agree that there wasn't enouigh wrong to warrant that harsh of a criticism.

Guest Terry

his site needs work but he had the where with all to put it out there and his efforts will pay off in the long run and i can only respect that effort.   daniel t voicing my 2/5ths of a nickle.

It's easy to be NICE, it's more difficult to tell the truth. That site needs a lot of work for a graphics site, it should show your quality of design. It needs a lot of things. But I won't mention it. I will be nice and lie like some of you. Or do some of you have no design imagination? I won't say another word about it, I'll just baby everyone on here. Like banner said, yaa it looks great better than some professional sites. A poor looking site can hurt a design person more than help them.

See ya

I hate to point out the obvious,but most people who go to a site looking for signs,graphics,etc..could care less about what the site looks like. They are looking for a job done at a good price and that's what it's about...the bottom line.Money.The coupon on the site is likely to bring in more business than anything else he could have done. The site that would bring in the most money would have nothing on it but prices,and low prices,plus a few pics.

There is a HUGE difference between designing graphics for sale, such as signs,vehicle graphics,etc...and designing a web site. If designing a web site was easy I'd be sitting on my ass all day doing it for people at $100 an hour. Each requires it's own special talents.

A simple.'looks good,needs a bit of work' would have said exactly what Terry said in the first post,without coming across the way it did...which to me said "you don't have a clue'.

As I have said before,there is more than one way of saying something, without being mean or hurting someone's feelings.

Considering Terry's other posts(usually helpful), I can't explain the vitrolic response this time.

I'm a sign guy...if I want a professional looking website, I hire a pro to do it. I can't afford it,and not many can.

Ryn...again I say...you did a good job. As time goes on,you will twink it out a bit. And it will be a better site.

And whether terry or any of you are aware of it,anyone reaching Ryn's site,or mine,or any of yours,without being directed to it, is pretty slim. Search engines don't work that way.  You can be the only sign shop in your town..type in signs-your town in Google and it not show up anywhere near the front of the search,if at all. The site is not as important as just having one in the first place. The most important thing on your website is having a way for people to contact you.

I agree with you BannerJohn!!!

Noone is out to LIE, but I agree there is a correct way to give advice and criticizm.  To me this forum has always been on HELPING people never tearing them down....or am I wrong here?  I'm not saying LIE, but be constructive, we are ALL still learning.

Jenny

Just one of the reasons I've never posted my website, to many critics............  :-  :)

I agree though about music, you want a potential customer concentrating on your products/services instead.  I don't find it easy to put together a website and I think you have done a nice job.

One of the suggestions I have is maybe you could put a banner or photo with maybe your logo on it?  Just to jazz up the front page....just a suggestion.

Jenny

It's easy to be a critic...not so easy to offer constructive criticism(which everyone so far,with one exception,,has done). As I looked at the site this morning,I notice he has followed every bit of advice posted here.

I agree with you BannerJohn!!!

Noone is out to LIE, but I agree there is a correct way to give advice and criticizm.  To me this forum has always been on HELPING people never tearing them down....or am I wrong here?  I'm not saying LIE, but be constructive, we are ALL still learning.

Jenny

this reminds me of President Bush's comment a few years back about everyone should have affordable high speed internet. Great thing to say,made him look good. he failed,however,to suggest any means that might make that possible. Point out the problem,offer no solutions. Nice for politicians.

Guest Terry

I hate to point out the obvious,but most people who go to a site looking for signs,graphics,etc..could care less about what the site looks like. They are looking for a job done at a good price and that's what it's about...the bottom line.Money.The coupon on the site is likely to bring in more business than anything else he could have done. The site that would bring in the most money would have nothing on it but prices,and low prices,plus a few pics.

There is a HUGE difference between designing graphics for sale, such as signs,vehicle graphics,etc...and designing a web site. If designing a web site was easy I'd be sitting on my ass all day doing it for people at $100 an hour. Each requires it's own special talents.

A simple.'looks good,needs a bit of work' would have said exactly what Terry said in the first post,without coming across the way it did...which to me said "you don't have a clue'.

As I have said before,there is more than one way of saying something, without being mean or hurting someone's feelings.

Considering Terry's other posts(usually helpful), I can't explain the vitrolic response this time.

I'm a sign guy...if I want a professional looking website, I hire a pro to do it. I can't afford it,and not many can.

Ryn...again I say...you did a good job. As time goes on,you will twink it out a bit. And it will be a better site.

And whether terry or any of you are aware of it,anyone reaching Ryn's site,or mine,or any of yours,without being directed to it, is pretty slim. Search engines don't work that way.  You can be the only sign shop in your town..type in signs-your town in Google and it not show up anywhere near the front of the search,if at all. The site is not as important as just having one in the first place. The most important thing on your website is having a way for people to contact you.

I did not mean to sound harsh, I'm not good with words on a computer. And I would never try to match wits with YOU, I can't do it. But saying a cheap price works is WRONG, I know of lots of companies that lost business by giving a CHEAP price. You need to show samples on a web site or a photo album of your workmanship and quality, even the photos on the site are poor quality, on an angle, dark, low res, no close ups etc... If all he intends to do is banners... cheap is fine. But for vehicles and businesses they will pay more to have it done by a quality shop. The list goes on and on.

cheap is not the same as offering a coupon. The secret is to make people THINK they are getting a bargain.

here is an example. Back in '86 I had a video rental store. Business was booming. Right about this time when VCR's started to drop below $500. I had blank tapes for sale for $5 and was lucky to sell one a day. I dropped the price to $4.98 and sold a CASE a day. (12). It's all about what people perceive.

AS far as being cheap in price generally...while it is true that you might lose the odd peorson who mistakenly thinks cheap can't be good, in these times when gas is $3.50 a gallon and milk is $5 and a loaf of bread is $2.29, if you appeal to the pocketbook you attract a lot of business. People see your work and you build a customer base. I sell a 2x6 banner for $26 and I can't tell you how many regular customers come back for the bigger ones at higher prices.

And the simple fact is...unless you are the only game in town,and are just starting out,the ONLY way you are gonna do anything besides sit on your butt all day is under-cut the other guys. Kinkos, Office Max,Office depot, they all offer wide format printing and graphics now. That's a full color,photo quality banner 2x10 for $200. How can I sell the sme size in simple vinyl cuut graphics for $130? I can't.

Walmart didn't get to be the nations # 1 retailer by selling HIGH.  As Cas Walker (my old freind,RIP) used to say, 'a quick nickle is better than a slow dime anytime'. he died a multi-millionare at 98.

Guest fivestar

cheap is not the same as offering a coupon. The secret is to make people THINK they are getting a bargain.

here is an example. Back in '86 I had a video rental store. Business was booming. Right about this time when VCR's started to drop below $500. I had blank tapes for sale for $5 and was lucky to sell one a day. I dropped the price to $4.98 and sold a CASE a day. (12). It's all about what people perceive.

Not to change subject, but damn did I have/had the same business as everyone on here.  I had a video store from '91-'01.  I loved the video business too.  It was a great business back in the day.  I'd just hate to try to survive on one today, with all the other forms of entertaiment out there, especially computers.  That's why I went into the computer repair business.  I've been messing with them for over 15 yrs now and I seen how everything was going from video rentals to computers back in the mid-90's so I hung on to the video store for as long as I could and then knew it was time to jump ship to the computer side.

As for your website ryn, it looks decent.  Definitely DROP THE MUSIC and honestly I'd go with someone else hosting it so you don't have that big banner at the top of the page.

Guest Terry

AS far as being cheap in price generally...while it is true that you might lose the odd peorson who mistakenly thinks cheap can't be good, in these times when gas is $3.50 a gallon and milk is $5 and a loaf of bread is $2.29, if you appeal to the pocketbook you attract a lot of business. People see your work and you build a customer base. I sell a 2x6 banner for $26 and I can't tell you how many regular customers come back for the bigger ones at higher prices.

And the simple fact is...unless you are the only game in town,and are just starting out,the ONLY way you are gonna do anything besides sit on your butt all day is under-cut the other guys. Kinkos, Office Max,Office depot, they all offer wide format printing and graphics now. That's a full color,photo quality banner 2x10 for $200. How can I sell the sme size in simple vinyl cuut graphics for $130? I can't.

Walmart didn't get to be the nations # 1 retailer by selling HIGH.  As Cas Walker (my old freind,RIP) used to say, 'a quick nickle is better than a slow dime anytime'. he died a multi-millionare at 98.

Like I said banners are fine... But not for company vehicles or personal ones for customers. I was in pre press for advertising business 30 years. Just don't want him to use that site for the public yet, I don't want him to make the mistakes I made years ago. And as far as google goes... who cares, the idea of a web site in your town is to save on advertising cost, you let your site do the talking for you. Advertising is $$$$ so you make a web site, just use small reader ads to list your site in your town. It would cost $$$ to use display ads or to say what you wanted, so you just list your site and let it work for you, CHEAP and it works great, but the site NEEDS TO SHOW nice work.

Woof! 

Daniel, thanks for posting.  I know you posted with hope and pride of your accomplishment.  I say good job- good beginning.  As anyone with time on the intertubes knows, websites are ALWAYS in process, improving, but you have to start somewhere, and that's what you did.  Good on you!

I am working on my website now too, and believe me, it will not be perfect when I post it up here either and I will take the advise shared in this thread under thoughtful consideration as I work out the design and function.

While perhaps not eloquent, Terry's comment was still valid, most websites can be improved, that's just how it is.  Again, good effort, you're out there now!  We are all learning together here.

Kind regards,

Kev

Guest Terry

I admit I was in a hurry when I first posted it. I used the wrong words and it was TAKEN the wrong way, but I know from experience 7 years ago not to put that site to the public yet, don't get in a hurry, take your time, at least pull the pics off and redo them. The site as is can do more damage than good. People remember the bad stuff. The competition is tough, you are not on the ground floor of vinyl graphics, show some quality work pics at least. Look like you have been doing this, make fake ones to load even.

Guest fivestar

Now ryn that looks alot better then it did last night.  You're coming right along with it.  Great job.