Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Getting started with etching

I did a chemical etch using vinyl as a mask and think I'm hooked - I want to do more! 

I'm thinking about getting an air eraser from Harbor Freight, along with an air compressor and cabinet (I'm hoping to do this inside where it's warm).  I know the limits of the air eraser so I'd like to start with the eraser but allow myself to move on to a different gun to allow for quicker etching with coarser abrasives if I stick with this.  I'd like to keep it cheap to begin with in case I don't find myself making much money with etching.

Here's what I'm thinking to start with:

Harbor Freight air eraser

This compressor -> http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/2-horsepower-6-gallon-150-psi-oilless-pancake-compressor-67696.html

This cabinet (found one on Craigslist for $60) -> http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg%3B-benchtop-abrasive-blasting-cabinet-32-lb-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

What I'm wondering is if anybody has tried etching with this gun -> http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html  and would it work with the compressor I listed (by listed specs it should but specs sometimes lie)

Opinions?

That compressor won't keep up with the cabinet. You're gonna need one quiet a bit larger. It might work for the gravity feed gun. 

That compressor won't keep up with the cabinet. You're gonna need one quiet a bit larger. It might work for the gravity feed gun. 

I'm not planning on using the gun with the cabinet.  I'm planning on using either the air eraser or the gravity gun at the link I provided for Harbor Freight.

I started etching recently and I would def just go with the cabinet and a bigger compressor like Eazy mentioned. Using the cabinet and the gun it has you can blow through glasses at a pretty good pace. That's what I use and it doesn't take much time to blast them. From what I heard the air eraser takes much more time. In this market time is money. Would be well worth the extra money for a bigger compressor.

Just my two cents.

I started etching recently and I would def just go with the cabinet and a bigger compressor like Eazy mentioned. Using the cabinet and the gun it has you can blow through glasses at a pretty good pace. That's what I use and it doesn't take much time to blast them. From what I heard the air eraser takes much more time. In this market time is money. Would be well worth the extra money for a bigger compressor.

Just my two cents.

I agree that time is money and the most expensive tool you buy is the one you buy twice but in my current situation I have more time than money, plus I'd hate to invest a lot of money if I won't end up making it back.  I'm trying to dip my toe into this more than jumping in with both feet.  That said I'll check Craigslist and see if I can find a good deal on a used compressor.

• Like 1

I'm not planning on using the gun with the cabinet.  I'm planning on using either the air eraser or the gravity gun at the link I provided for Harbor Freight.

I said the compressor won't keep up with the cabinet. The cabinet will  come with its own gun, and I would guess it would use 6 cfm. That compressor would be doing good to put out 2cfm. 

The compressor however could probably keep up with the gravity gun. 

A screw compressor run by a gas engine would be perfect if you could get it away from the rad crew with their jackhammer

If you can even find a compressor with a bigger tank you can possibly get by with a few stops here and there. The eraser is probably not worth the money. I recently bought a harbor freight cabinet and also a small pressure pot blaster. I have found that for basic glass etching the cabinet is perfect and SUPER fast. I mean for a quick frost without going in deep you can blast a basic glass jar in about 30 seconds to a minute. If you are doing a two stage job and getting deeper on the initial cut then you might spend a few minutes but it gets it done real quick. I have an older Emglow compressor that has a 20 or 30 gallon tank and it will work it out pretty hard if I keep going for a long time on something like granite. 

Don't waste your money on the HB Air Eraser, it is pure garbage, you can try and shoot the finest AO there is and it will still clog and Piss you off!

• Like 1

I started with the harbor freight air eraser. The compound that came with it was junk but after I bought some locally I've had no problem. Glad I bought it. I still use it to do ornaments with.

Smendlik what do you mean I am going to do it inside? You will need a dust collector to hook to your cabinet and it will still be dusty. I do a lot of blasting and I can tell you that an oil less compressor is not  going to last as long as one with oil.  I don't know if you are a veteren that Lowes and Home Depot give a 10% discount to Vets you just need to show an ID from the VA.