Sign in to follow this  
jessefisher4

Light Box for Christmas

Here is a light box I made for my mother for Christmas. Sorry for the poor picture quality. The pictures were in the late night hours when I finished with my cell phone. I can post better pictures later if anyone is interested.

She loved the box!

post-70404-0-93695700-1388151761_thumb.j

post-70404-0-90403700-1388151771_thumb.j

I just mitered 1x8 pine to make a box. The glass is actually glass used for stained glass that I found at hobby lobby. I just added cleats made from 1x2 pine on the inside to hold the glass to the proper depth and trimmed with some cove molding. Same idea with the 1x2's for cleats to hold a piece of plywood for the back. The hardest and most time consuming part was drilling the holes for the lights. I used LED Christmas lights and another piece of plywood. This way they will not get too hot. Drilled holes and pushed the lights through. Used a staple gun to hold the lights and wires in place. Attached the light board inside again with 1x2 cleats.

Just make sure to reverse cut the vinyl for the parts on the design to be applied to the back of the glass. It was a fun project. Might have to make some more in the future. If you need clarification on anything else I can try to explain it better or take some pics to try and help out.