SeeJaysPlace

Varnish

I just put some varnish on some wood trying to make a sign for the wife for christmas..

The Family, and then months below it so she can hang stuff from it for each person's bday or some thing

but i have tryed 651 and 631..

What do i have to use?

post-16863-0-51665900-1387227273_thumb.j

I have used 1 coat of Eurethane and coat over the vinyl. Usually 4 or 5 coats.

It is a neat project See Jay.. Me and my wife did that a few months ago..She makes the bottle caps.

So the vinyl isnt sticking? Cant see why it wouldnt. Are you putting it on dry? Maybe give it a light sanding and then stick the vinyl on and apply another coat on top to hide the sanding? 

When i did mine i bought a regular board from home depot and my wife painted a couple coats on it and then we stuck the vinyl to it and wala it stuck just fine

I bought a pre made board and Home Depot..

The round things .. I was going to use Dye Sub Pin Buttons.. they are about 1/2 inch around and i can put anything on them..

I didn't have any $$ for gifts this year for the wife .. or i don't really know what to get here ..

She has seen this on Pintrest like a year ago and she wanted me to make it a long time ago

now it's out of her head i think i'll make it now :)

for Christmas!!!

The varnish is an oil...oil and adhesives don't work together.  Could coat over it with clear bulls eye shellac. Shellac will stick to and seal most any coating and any coating will stick to it. Maybe give it a old world french polish then apply your graphics.

;)

"oil and adhesives don't work together".... I beg to differ.

There is no reason vinyl shouldnt stick to either a varnished, shellac'd, or polyurethane surface. (as well as oil, alkyd, or alcohol based paints)

The surface must be dry and smooth and I would recomend several coats as the first and or second coats may soak in a bit.

You will need to sand or steel wool between coats as the product will raise the grain of the wood.

Once the smooth finish has dried and cured, you can apply the vinyl (I would use at least Oracal 651) directly to the surface.

I wouldn't recommend putting clear over the vinyl. Most of the Veteran Sign Gurus agree it's not a good idea.

I've never done it so, I cant say first hand about that.

+1 For what skarekrow said. I had done many signs this way and never had any problems. I used spray polyurethane and 651 vinyl. Def not over top though. Tried it once and the edges of the vinyl started to come up.

post-70404-0-04571900-1381849250_thumb.j
post-70404-0-50965200-1381849227_thumb.j
post-70404-0-02673400-1381849238_thumb.j

cured is the operative word... skarekrow,

From the photo you can still smell the fresh varnish. Try rubbing oil an something and placing graphics... they won't stick that's about what I see in the photo. I've had frames I've stained rub up color for weeks. There's a big difference between re coat time, handle time and cured.  Applying graphics over fresh X is asking for mishap... as it off gases it can cause failures such as lifting or bubbles. Shellac is not a oil base.. the dried flake are dissolved in alcohol. It will seal and dry in short order allowing for his graphic to be placed in shorter time.  Christmas is 8 days away... time is running out.

Yes, as I mentioned,  "The surface must be dry and smooth... and... cured". 

However, from the picture, I dont so much "smell" the fresh (un-cured?) varnish as much as I "see" the raised grain from minimum coatings of finish without proper sanding in between and the vinyl not adhering to the raw-ish, grainy wood.

Could be a little of both problems though.

it turned out awesome.. i'll take a photo after the wife unwraps it tomorrow

My wife and daughter are going out of town for the holiday's to her mom's house.. the in law's lol

and I'm staying home hehe .. So our christmas is tomorrow!

• Like 1

You can put polyurethane and Polycrylic over vinyl. I can speak to Oracal vinyl (printed or cut) surface preparation is key. I get great adhesion and no curl or peel. There are a lot of factors to getting a great finish:  prep, atmospheric conditions, how you apply it. You will have a problem sticking to bare wood. I put a base coat down and sand. Stick my vinyl and then apply a few more base coats. I get pretty good results.

This was the first coat. I always sand between coats.

post-21228-0-15505100-1387387509_thumb.j

• Like 2

The Cornhole Board looks great. Was that printed or cut vinyl on that one?