knucklehead

Ground panels

Been grinding some aluminum panels lately. Here's one I made for a lady. This one has the Flamel Cross, ancient alchemy symbol. Different looks, depending on how the light hits it.

post-2309-0-29566500-1386868677_thumb.jp

post-2309-0-62696100-1386868770_thumb.jp

• Like 2

That is what's cool about the forums - we have some crazy talented people - and each one has skills we don't making the group stronger as a whole

• Like 2

Awesome look. Mind explaining your process? 

Aluminum panel, mill finish, lot easier than trying to sand down a baked enamel one.

Four inch grinder, variable speed is better, than trying to do with 10,000 rpms. If one doesn't have a factory variable speed, then use a router speed control.

Scotchbrite metal prep disc from Coast Airbrush, course and fine(red and grey).

Go to town grinding, if you can make some sort of pattern in the grinding great, or just random.

If you want some kind of design, cut and apply before spraying candy. Or, put design on top, or not having any design at all works too. For color use a transparent color, so grindings will show through. Candy, (waterbased candy doesn't do too good). , or Metalcast works too.

Then clear, cut and buff.

post-2309-0-30153900-1386891485_thumb.jp

post-2309-0-52667400-1386891587_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks. Nothing that anyone with a grinder can't do. 

Want to bet? I couldn't do that with 10 years of practice, beautiful work.

+1

I want to try but mine will never look that good!

Sure ya can. If you can doodle on a napkin, you can doodle on a panel. Just using a different kinda doodler.

• Like 1

My napkin doodles look like somebody blew their nose on it. But that is why I like this business, there are tons of ways to stand out from the crowd and we all have our strong points.

• Like 1

Good thing about these, there's no right, or wrong. Grind it, don't like it, grind it some more, and some more if neccassary. < Easier than spelling that word.

• Like 2

Man you can make those into license plates! Ive tried grinding on stainless once and it didnt come out as good as that. 

Stainless is too hard. Actually, steel panels look better than the aluminum. You get a more holographic illusion, or whatever you call it.