CarolinaTraffic

All This Talk About Etching....

That's the big dude that you will have to assemble. It looks pretty nice if you have that much shop space. The gun and other parts are identical to the slightly smaller table top unit. They may have both versions there to look at when you get there. My store did but the smaller cabinet didn't have the gun inside and I asked the goofball working there if I need to get a blaster separately and he thought i did so that's how I ended up with two guns. I think that cabinet has a little more work space inside and it definitely looks like it has more slope on the hopper which should aide in keeping your media where you want it. 

Yeah its going into my garage, next to my parts washer and welder/welding cart. 

I've got a 1-1/2 little car garage, right now my atv is in it, halfway torn apart, along with an engine on an engine stand and a transmission/tcase in the corner. 

What else other than rubnbuff can i use.....i cant find any of that locally at any craft stores!

gcextreme - what are you trying to color?

I've used rub n buff on the front of mirrors, I've used regular craft type paint on the back side of mirrors.

Cal

I think you can get it online from hobby lobby - shipped to your door (rub n buff) - on the blast cabinet - that big one is the one I have - siphon gun has clogged some this year but I haven't changed the media in 6 + years so I am sure that is it.

gcextreme - what are you trying to color?

I've used rub n buff on the front of mirrors, I've used regular craft type paint on the back side of mirrors.

Cal

just glass mugs and stuff...went to joann fabrics and ben franklin crafts and they have never heard of rub n buff...

I think you can get it online from hobby lobby - shipped to your door (rub n buff) - on the blast cabinet - that big one is the one I have - siphon gun has clogged some this year but I haven't changed the media in 6 + years so I am sure that is it.

Ok cool..will have to check that out...the closest Hobby Lobby is 2 hours from me in Fargo, ND.

And i started putting my blast cabinet together, got it up on its legs, still gotta do the door latch, the funnel bottom, glass and stuff...

Ok cool..will have to check that out...the closest Hobby Lobby is 2 hours from me in Fargo, ND.

And i started putting my blast cabinet together, got it up on its legs, still gotta do the door latch, the funnel bottom, glass and stuff...

and that is why I suggested mail order . . . .buy online - hobby lobby has an online store also.

Wow, that is all i can say. I am new to this, just got a cutter and heat press last week and never thought of doing this. I think i have a sandblaster on the next "to buy' list. 

Wow, that is all i can say. I am new to this, just got a cutter and heat press last week and never thought of doing this. I think i have a sandblaster on the next "to buy' list. 

Ya this is a bad place to hang out! I got hooked on the sandblasting in about 12 seconds. Very cool way to utilize the cutters abilities. 

The more time you spend here the more it'll cost you with all these new toys and great ideas.

• Like 1

Just completed this tonight.  Mirror was etched on the back with a new batch of med-coarse sand.  It just barely fit in that large Harbor Freight cabinet.  Painted with acrylic craft paints.  I may have to build my own cabinet after this job...

Cal

post-47968-0-91103900-1390442053_thumb.j

• Like 1

just glass mugs and stuff...went to joann fabrics and ben franklin crafts and they have never heard of rub n buff...

Another option I've been wanting to try, and that comes in a much broader selection of colors, is Gilder's Paste  - the website doesn't list etched glass as an option, but I've seen people on other forums who recommended it...

My order of 10 things of RubNBuff came in today..im doing a wine glass for a friend...just wondering how to use it..

Cut my design out, reverse weeded it, applied to glass, masked off other areas, going to go sandblast it now, 

so i assume i apply it before i remove the vinyl wrap stencil....?? 

putting it on before you remove the stencil will make it easier to clean off the excess -  ^-^

• Like 1

How long does it normally take to dry??? how long should i wait before removing the vinyl, and washing it??

Well my first attempt at using Rub N Buff.. i did a wine glass for my friends winery....
it came out ok...got some ruff spots from overspray where my dam masking tape came up ...but not too bad for my second attempt on glass..
the otter got goofed up :(
20140124_152919_zpsadb58d3e.jpg

20140124_152912_zps59665241.jpg

• Like 2

Just like everything it gets easier with practice but I think that looks pretty good for your second glass ever.

Just like everything it gets easier with practice but I think that looks pretty good for your second glass ever.

Thanks Jay.

im going to give it to my friend, and she can show her parents...maybe if they at least like the idea, they will throw in some ideas and want me to do some more wine glasses or even bottles for them..

They already want me to do them some shirts and decals, once they figure out their final logo....

i think some custom wine glasses with their company name and stuff would be a good idea, specially for when they have wine tastings..

heck we even do that now and then after doing lots - stuff happens - looks good though