xpaperman

Help needed on splitting an object

I know it has been discussed before.  I even have done it before by following the very directions in the thread.  I have forgotten how to do it and can not seem to find the thread.

I have a logo I need to split in half both ways (to make four pieces) to apply to 4 different substrates to make a very large sign.

How do I split the logo again?

(I am using corel and SB Elements)

I found the old thread I was thinking of and it turns out it is not the same thing I am trying to do.  I am however still stuck.  Can anyone help out?  I have taken and made a rectangle the size I need for my final product.  I have inserted the logo in the box and sized it.  I then added a vertical and horizontal line across the centers but can not seem to separate the logo...

I dont use either of thosae 2 programs but can you select one of the quadrants and copy or duplicate it to a new layer?

Maybe do that to all 4 peices and save them individually?

Wish I could be of more help... I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Inkscape, & SignCut.

How did you get the logo in  the rectangle?  Did you power clip it in?

How did you get the logo in  the rectangle?  Did you power clip it in?

No.  I just clicked and dragged.  I drew the rectangle as a reference for my sign size.  Then drug the logo in and sized it.

Don't you have a Graphtec?  Have you downloaded CuttingMaster2,  and use the panel tiles with it? You can make the overlap as big as you want or not at all.  You can practice with a smaller design and see if you like it.   post-3058-0-22196500-1386393520_thumb.jp

Yes Skeeter, I do have that graphtec.  I have not tried cutting master 2.  In fact since I started with corel and SB.... I really haven't tried anything else at all....I guess I can have a look at that option.  

Being that I have an autocad background, we had a command, "Break" that would do just what I am trying to do here.  I assumed it would be just as simple but I guess not.

When I first got this logo, mb20 helped me out with it.  He sent me 2 versions.... one regular and one split horizontally.... I wonder how he did that? hmmm   

So there is not a way to just simply take an object and cut it in half to make to pieces?

I will check those links in just a sec skeeter!  I was playing around with the knife tool by was having no luck on my own.  I did manage to do this tho...

"Place inside container" for this. Draw four rectangles for each part of the image, place them adjacent to each other and GROUP (very important to group em), then click on Effects, Power Clip, place inside container, then click on the rectangles , this will place the image/objects inside the two rectangles, and now you can ungroup them and move em around.

Once I did that I can move each rectangle around but I can't get rid of the rectangle around each item now.  Plus, If I go to wire frame, the pieces of my logo are not there.  Also if I export.... they don't show up.  It is only "right" in normal view.  Am I missing a step here?  It's like what I did is not "finalized" or something.  I believe I am very close at this point.

I did check out those links Skeeter and it did teach me about using the knife tool.  I didn't realize I had to powerclip it first.  So, I did that and got the design split (cut) into the 4 segments I need!  However I can't seem to do anything with them at this point but move them around and look at them.  Is there a way to "get out of powerclip" or something at this point and export for cutting?  I am still missing something but getting closer   :rolleyes:

I am just trying to give you suggestions.  I don't use Corel,  and rarely Illustrator.  But I would think Cuttingmaster2 would do the job right there when you cut.

Make a copy of the design. Draw a rectangle and lay it over 1/2 of the design. go to shaping - front minus back or back minus front. Do this for each section you need. There is probably an easier way but that's how I do it

I will try that too jay.  I was trying to work with the knife function last night and everytime I went to click for the "end cut" corel would crash?!?!  So I was gonna reboot here in a bit and try again.  Will let y'all know what happens.  Thanks so far for the input from all.

That knife aggravates me. 1 time it works and the next not. I don't know what I'm doing different each time so I pretty much avoid it.

Ok, just reset everything and started over.... no luck on the knife.  On the second click it always says "corel has stopped working" and shuts down.

I was able to get what I wanted with the powerclip..... only once it split it appears that all you can do is print it.  Can't figure out how to export it or vector it.

What I was describing is basically erasing what you don't want and keeping the quarter you do. Only thing is you have to do it for each quarter

Which is fine with me Jay.... what ever works right.  But I am not having any luck with that either.... once I click 'back to front' it really scews up my vector and I have to undo it.  I will keep toying around with it as I have to get this figured out.  The job it to big for my 60" cutter so I have to find a way to break it up.  I wish I knew what MB20 did.... 

Is it 1 color? If so combine it first, that may stop the funkiness. If you want email it to me and I'll see if I can help. PM me if you don't have my email.

Thanks for that video Jay, I had thought about that but have never tried it yet.  It was/is in the back of my mind and if it comes down to it I will give that a shot.  It is just not how I had it pictured in my head on how I was gonna tackle this job.  Sometimes I am stubborn.....  

Jaybird.... I have been a bit busy and have moved this project back a bit (although it is a nice paying one and I would like to get that money quickly)  that being said, I have not sat down with it and given a good honest effort yet to fully try out these suggestions.  A quick try of them did not work but there are some other settings etc I would like to try.  I want to try and get it done on my own first.  If I don't don't figure it out I will definately give you a shout!  Thanks for the offer.  I will update here on how it goes......

In SB you could make four copies of your logo. Then make 3 boxes and possition them over the logo so they block out all but one quadrant. Weld the 3 boxes, then punch the welded boxes and the logo. This will leave one quadrant of the logo. Repeat the process for the other 3 quadrants on the other 3 copies. Not the most eligant option but quick and easy.

ok, so..... I had some time to mess around with this and went with the back to front, front to back thing.......  I am not impressed with how it worked out but it worked out non the less.....  

For some reason tho when I cut the test one, it double cuts everything.  Not really a big issue other than it takes twice as ling to cut.  I checked the wireframe view etc and nothing seemed out of line there.  I am going to try and cut the actual stuff I need tomorrow....  I am feeling good about the outcome but am just troubled that the process wasn't easier.  I am pulling out this monster graphtec for this one......

Be easy on our graphtec. You never know when I may hit you up to cut something big :)

• Like 1