Guest gracewriter

Can I take a pic of my car and vectorize it?

Guest gracewriter

I have this idea for my first vinyl project, that is when I'm proficient enough.

I want to take a pic. or find a pic of my husband's car.  I'd like to figure out how to get it into sign blaze with just the outline of the car and windows in black and white.  Then I want to try and see what kind of graphics would look neat so I can show it to him then cut some decals for him.

I figured I'd do both our cars, then offer the neigbors when I'm ready and make sure they keep my business cards in their glove boxes.  I figure it would make a great advertisement if my neighbors were driving around town advertising for me.  This way I could get some great experience and start building a portfolio.

I also have a doge pick up I want to do the same thing with.

Anyone know how to do this?

Yes it can be done. You need to take a pic of the cars and past it in a vector program then trace it. The best way to do this is by tracing it by hand as you only need the outlines. I have done it before. You can try with autotrace, but I dont think the results are going to be the best.

Or you can ask for your vehicle template in the graphic request section

Here is an example of one I did.

1974_Gremlin.jpg

gremlinjv7.jpg

Joe

Guest gracewriter

Cool pic.!

This might be easiest for me to just take the pic. and hand trace on transfer paper.  Anytime I used a draw feature , like in paint, I always have jagged lines.  I can't imagine how anyone can trace using a computer program.  But I guess I need to start learning.

We have 3 options

1 Use the auto trace option most programs have. It will make it automatically and you can play with the values until you are satisfied.

2 Use the Pen Tool and trace by hand, adding point by point forming the curves and lines as you want.

3 Post a reques in the Vectorizing section of the forums and see if someone can help.

Joe

Guest gracewriter

thanks.

I have a few programs

Signblazer and MGI (which I have no clue how to use)  and Inkscape (which I also don't know how use)

But I'm willing to learn.

The question is,which of these programs would I use to try to do what you are saying?

Guest gracewriter

This is way cool. 

I imported the jpeg and am doing the graphics right on top the colored photograph.  It's way better and looks awesome.  Much better to take a snap shot of the car and lay the graphics over it.  Gives  you a really good idea of exactly what the finished product will look like.  I think I'll take pics. of all my neighbor's cars and lay out some graphics then show them the pics of the really cool car I saw the other day that was the same model as theirs, and not tell them it's their car. 

Would be really funny if they said, wow I wish I had that on my car!!!  That's when I say, "Well, you know, I can do that for you...

Too funny!

Ok why noy just take an jpeg photo and open it in illustator or coral draw and layer your graphics ontop on the photo ...?    ie photoshop .......

Oh no, not the gremlin. Hey that reminds me. I caught one in our house the other day.

Nope, just our dog. LOL

post-1234-12986516913215_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12986516933657_thumb.jpg

Hey, my dog used to look like your dog when she was a puppy. Now she just looks naughty.

post-1552-12986516913792_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986516934121_thumb.jpg

I thought if I left for a while the gremlin would die.  I guess it is immortal.  ;)

Just working all hours day and night.  I just hate it when work interferes with fun.

Found a place online that will sell auto templates for individual cars (instead of having to buy a whole CD like 'Pro Vehicle Outlines').  The template for my car would cost me $15.  Nice if you don't do enough cars to justify a more expensive library of templates.  Templates go a couple years back.

http://www.sign.com/SAi_Clip_Art317.asp?cmd=browse&browseTable=0