Wildgoose

MAJOR Do's and Don'ts

1) Weld text together -  What does this mean?

2) Check cutter speed - Is there a standard speed or does it very?

3) Check cutting pressure - Same question ^...I suppose that depends on the thickness of the vinyl.

4) Anything else you forgot...

1) Weld text together -  What does this mean? - Never mind. I found out. :rolleyes: 

1) Weld text together -  What does this mean?

2) Check cutter speed - Is there a standard speed or does it very?

3) Check cutting pressure - Same question ^...I suppose that depends on the thickness of the vinyl.

In case anybody else is wondering, welding text together merges any text that overlaps and makes them one entity.  If you don't do this the cutter will cut each letter's outline and you will be segmenting the letters where you want them joined.

Cutter speeds and pressure vary by machine and material.  From what I hear (I have only used one cutter so far) it evern varies withing the same model of cutter.  It also can depend on how simple or complex the design being cut out is.

• Like 1

I forgot enough times that I made myself a checklist of to check's before making the cut:

1) Weld text together

2) Check cutter speed

3) Check cutting pressure

I've destoyed too many cutting strips because I cut CAD for shirts and then went to cut a sign and forgot to change pressure/speed.

I've destoyed too many cutting strips because I cut CAD for shirts and then went to cut a sign and forgot to change pressure/speed.

I've done some harm already to mine cutting reflective and forgetting to switch blade holders back out for the regular vinyl 1. 

• Like 1

I've done some harm already to mine cutting reflective and forgetting to switch blade holders back out for the regular vinyl 1. 

or cut one graphic off after forwarding and forget to reset the origin when sending the next.

• Like 4

or cut one graphic off after forwarding and forget to reset the origin when sending the next.

Made a habit of resetting after every cut but every once in a while "Where did the top 1/2" of the design go" head smack

• Like 1

When sublimation printing with one side treated paper, make sure you print on the proper side.

• Like 1

If you change the xacto knife to an Olfa knife I've done every 1 listed. Where's my prize?

Just got caught up. Between running my butt off trying to handle this alone and running to the hospital everyday I figured it was time to go online and see who I could bug.

I hear ya man.  I figured it was your decompress time.  Best wishes with everything and hopefully it calms down for you soon

I appreciate the well wishes. It'll be fine in the end but it's just a pain in the butt trying to get everything running smoothly right now and having no clue when they will release my mother from the hospital. Family is always more important than business

Don't forget to weld your text together after converting it to an outline when letters overlap.

Or you can upgrade to a Graphtec and use the CuttingMaster plug-in which automatically welds text for you...  just saying...  :rolleyes:

flexi will do that for you to, in you remember to check the box.

I did that a few times but then I read something on here about setting the prefeed .25 past the cut. That puts the cut off right where I need it and its already set for the next job.

• Like 1

DO spend a little extra time when masking to cut a nice consistent offset along the sides of your vinyl. Helps a TON on install for centering and leveling etc...particularly if you are using a script font or a design that doesn't have a natural line to measure from.

DO buy good quality masking tape for installs. I buy mine from a auto paint store. Cost a little more per roll but you don't need to waste as much double taping or worse waste expensive vinyl that hits the dirt when your Walmart tape gives out.

• Like 1

I use the green 3m tape myself. Holds great and releases clean