My customers pay this price all the time. And I'm the cheap guy around here.

Same here. Need to change my name to Discount Decals. When you do them that low you just undervalue the job. Your overhead is not in question but if you charge you are a business and need to price to stay in business.

Ok, i will start charging more... 

It's the first law of marketing... The question is how much do you charge for something?  And the answer is always "As much as the market will allow."

• Like 1

One thing I have done in the past when I have under charged is let the customer know at the time of delivery that I made a mistake but would honor the deal I had made. I basically did a bunch of hats too cheap (first hat order ever) and didn't want to do more at that price so I let him know I was off on the labor to perform the work and that I couldn't afford to do them that cheap. He felt grateful for me honoring my bid (which I would even at a loss, a bid is a bid. Take your lumps and learn) and then was aware that they were going to be more on the next order. No problem, I have been doing tons of stuff for him ever since and was able to get my prices up where they are profitable (or more profitable as the case may be). There is a point where I would rather turn the machine off and go hang out with my kids than work for minimum wage. Like a big percentage of us on this forum I am a part timer and don't rely on this to support my family. Just extra cash and the first hobby I have ever had that was a money maker instead of a money PIT!

• Like 3

So went back and did some math...

I buy all of my 651 vinyl in 24"x50 yard rolls and all my application tape in the biggest size as well.  I round up and come up with about $1 cost per linear foot of material, vinyl and app tape.  So about 50 cents a square foot.  I did this job of 90 small decals took about 9' of materials, so lets call it 10'.  So i have $10 in materials in the job.  It took me about 2.5-3 hours to weed, tape, and cut them apart.  I charged $1.50 each (which i'm told is WAY TOO LOW to charge) and got paid $135.  That's $125 profit for 3 hours work with no overhead, and that comes out to $41 an hour.  I think I'm ok with that... But everyone says I should charge more, but I can't imagine charging what this calculator tells me to.  I think I would lose customers.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wildgoose" data-cid="347741" data-time="1394575624"><p> the first hobby I have ever had that was a money maker instead of a money PIT!</p></blockquote>

THIS is what I am looking forward to. Too many hobbies & too much money spent in the past few years just to have something to keep myself busy. Soon I will be busy busy and hopefully on my way towards some extra $$.

In regards to pricing; I see both sides of the coin. Overcharging could drive business away but cutting yourself short will not only put less in your pocket, it could indeed drive the entire market down. That isn't good for any of us. See it too much on ebay..... Penny sellers :(

Guess it's a fine line but quality products and good service will usually pay off in the end.

• Like 1

I buy all of my 651 vinyl in 24"x50 yard rolls and all my application tape in the biggest size as well.  I round up and come up with about $1 cost per linear foot of material, vinyl and app tape.  So about 50 cents a square foot.  I did this job of 90 small decals took about 9' of materials, so lets call it 10'.  So i have $10 in materials in the job.  It took me about 2.5-3 hours to weed, tape, and cut them apart.  I charged $1.50 each (which i'm told is WAY TOO LOW to charge) and got paid $135.  That's $125 profit for 3 hours work with no overhead, and that comes out to $41 an hour.  I think I'm ok with that... But everyone says I should charge more, but I can't imagine charging what this calculator tells me to.  I think I would lose customers.

When I quote a price on here I'm usually low side retail and I don't say it to imply you should charge that but you should be aware because no matter how many say it's a hobby when they work too cheap they do take away work from those who are trying to make a living. All I say is be fair to yourself and your customer. SInce they are usually called customer or client most are in business whether they admit it to themselves or not and should price accordingly.

• Like 1

Have not put the calculator to use yet but that is one wicked formula!

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Im pretty much right where you are at.  $125 profit for 3 hours of work is Great.  If you charge him $4.00 a decal he is probably going to order less and not come back.  There are people undercutting us big time and I lose customers to it.  Anywhere from 100-200 decals I wont go under $1.25.  If they are purchasing less then of course the price will go up some and if they order more the price comes down.  I thrive on Customer Service, getting your decals done in a reasonable time and receiving a great product with nice crisp lines.  I get repeat business all the time.  I may end up being a lil higher then some people around here (according to here im really cheap) but my customer come back and spend more money with me.  Treat them right and get that repeat business.  Continue to get customers like that and you will be ok.

At shows I sell decals 1 for $5 bucks.  Online I sell decals for $5 bucks.  I wont go lower then that and I do well online with sales.  I see it all the time on Ebay though Buy one Get one "Free Shipping" at $0.99.  How is this person making money and surviving.  It cost you $0.49 for a stamp, plus your cost to list and sale and paypal takes out a fee.  What is he making maybe $0.10 which goes straight to material cost.  that isnt being very smart.

Just getting into vinyl and came across this. Very helpful! Just a couple questions. What is the cost of the vinyl it is based off of? Also, for the Under 6"x6" box, do we just put a 1 there if it is, or the number of inches under 6" that it is?

Thanks!

I was hoping someone could check these out.I got the Vinyl QuickCalc and the My Roll Calc from here somewhere and i want to make sure they are doing the math correctly for breakdown etc...THe main one im concerned about is in the Vinyl QuickCalc Spreadsheet one. It wont let me add the tax and im not sure why under pricing page.When i put what the tax is here and then  goto do a mockup sale , it doesnt do the tax,Tax here is 8.25 .If someone can modify it to make it work that would be great.And please check that the breakdown of cost is correct. I have a feeling it wrong and like i said i got this from the forum awhile ago when i first came on board.I dont want to screw myself on cost..Thanks to all..

My Roll Vinyl Calculator 2.zip

Vinyl QuickCalc Spreedsheet V1.5 upload.xls.zip

Ok, i will start charging more... 

It's the first law of marketing... The question is how much do you charge for something?  And the answer is always "As much as the market will allow."

Send a similar image to the local sign shops and ask for a quote to see how much they would charge....... then charge a little less =D

I know this is a post.  I am wondering how the break up in the formula in this calc. is made up?  I am trying to find the best way to price my work.   as of now I am only doing it based off size H+w/2 way.   I know I could be doing better.  I like this calc and was wondering how I can tweek it to add a little more function for my use.    

• Like 1

Drop me a message and ill get back to you when i get home and see what i can do.I have a couple others calcs that might be of use for you ..

I know this is a post.  I am wondering how the break up in the formula in this calc. is made up?  I am trying to find the best way to price my work.   as of now I am only doing it based off size H+w/2 way.   I know I could be doing better.  I like this calc and was wondering how I can tweek it to add a little more function for my use.