Sign in to follow this  
blackpaws

Sublimation

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on getting into sublimation. I was hoping I could go over what I plan on doing/learned so far and you seasoned sublimators could chime in to see if I'm on the right track...

Step 1: Printer

I need an inkjet printer that vibrates the dye on, rather than use a heated head (or something like that) so Epson and Ricoh are my only choices. Epsons are much cheaper, but I think I want the Ricoh because they don't have issues like the Epsons do with sitting around and drying up when not used for periods of time. 

Step 2: Ink

I need a special dye based ink meant for sublimation, such as sawgrass sublijet or Chromoblast. Chromoblast costs more, and does everything sublijet ink does, except Chromoblast also prints on cotton. Chromoblast ink is the only way you can use sublimation to print on cotton.

Step 3: Paper

Need special transfer paper meant for sublimation. 

Step 4: Substrates

I can either buy substrates with the sublimation polymer already coated on them, which is preferred for the most uniform, precise looking image transfer. I can also buy my own polymer to brush on glass, wood, ceramics, etc

Heat Press:

Already got one, but basically just needs to reach 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat times vary, (not sure what heat times are based on)

....am I on the right track folks? Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.  Thanks in advance for any advice on where to order supplies from too (printer, ink, paper, substrates). 

The only thing I'd warn you about is chromablast is not suplimation. It works on cotton only. From the description "Where the ink chemistry and the transfer paper coating chemistry touch, there is a crosslink reaction under heat and pressure that chemically bonds the image to the cotton." 

Other than that I think you have a good starting point for sublimation. My vote goes Ricoh and I've owned both.

• Like 1

Ohhh okay, good to know! I was kind of thrown off then because on uscutters website with their ricoh printer, they sell both ink sets with the printer, so I assumed they were both for sublimation and since the Chromoblast cost more, it was one more extra thing you could do with it. I was wrong! I think they should relist the printer twice then, one under the heat transfer category selling only the Chomoblast ink, then leave the one in the sublimation category selling only the sublijet inks. Anyways, thanks for the input!! 

One question! What is a good sublimation coating? I found a couple of products (from dyepress, and digicoat) but couldn't find any reviews really on either product. 

Ohhh okay, good to know! I was kind of thrown off then because on uscutters website with their ricoh printer, they sell both ink sets with the printer, so I assumed they were both for sublimation and since the Chromoblast cost more, it was one more extra thing you could do with it. I was wrong! I think they should relist the printer twice then, one under the heat transfer category selling only the Chomoblast ink, then leave the one in the sublimation category selling only the sublijet inks. Anyways, thanks for the input!! 

I don't know if they still do but they used to have cotton shirts in the sublimation section as well and that is asking for trouble

One question! What is a good sublimation coating? I found a couple of products (from dyepress, and digicoat) but couldn't find any reviews really on either product. 

I've tried Dyepress and was not happy with the overall results. Never tried any other brands.

unopened package - i paid around $45 - take  $30 + actual shipping takes it - has Poly C+, Poly Wood, Poly Primer, 2 smaller that says poly c + and catelyst, small poly for fabric,  poly tc, syringe, brushes etc. and instructions - never opened bottles only box 

post-2742-0-79497200-1385601848_thumb.jp

• Like 1

There's a good opportunity to try it out w/o paying full retail.

• Like 1

Just curious why ya didn't use it? I still haven't bought the printer or paper yet. Still debating which Ricoh to get, either the one that prints 8.5x11 for $200ish...or spend $1000ish and be able to print 11" wide.....might get the small one to start then will have it as a back up if I get the bigger one...I'm thinking out loud haha but I might like to try that stuff once I get the printer. Will likely decide in the next week or two

to be honest 95 percent of what i have done could be done on the smaller one . . . I just never got around to using the kit - wanted to do prints on black granite but I get too many irons in the fire and some things get shelved.  kinda like when I bought the 4 station screen press, screens flash dryer, ink, squeegees, etc and sold it all before i ever got the screens or press dirty once . . .some times you just need to regroup and concentrate on what you are doing

• Like 1