jaybyrd

Alternative screenprinting

Before you read further I feel the need to say that although the tests were inconclusive I may if fact be crazy. Now for the question I have used the vinyl method to make screens for screen printing shirts before with fair results but now I have something I need to do immediately and I forgot to order emuslion when I was getting set up so my thought was can I cut a pattern in siser and press it to the screen similar to the vinyl screen method but more permanent so that I can do a color change without having to redo the screen? Has anybody tried this before? And yeah I know I won't be reclaiming that screen afterwards.

the problem will be with the interaction of the inks and the HPV material, If you are using plastisol the cleaners to break them down when you clean the ink will also break down the HPV

So 1 and done, no color change? I know I jammed myself up but I swear emulsion was on the order, damn gremlins must of took it off on me lol. Just got to get through this 1 job and I promise I'll get emulsion in next week.

If I didn't have options I'd have you send the whole finished screen but I think I can make this happen with some redneck ingenuity.

Anyone seem my duct tape. 

I have a little 8x11 screen already coated lol

and 4 20x24 screens already coated right now lol

I'm glad to be a 2 hour drive from Mopar when i'm in a pinch.. heheh

use vinyl, wash it out, replace vinyl and tada, new color. Or try it anyway. But I would hate to ruin a screen just to save a bit of time by using HPV

It was more about being able to hold the detail. A lot of fine lines and I don't know if they'll hold with regular vinyl. At this point having to rescreen a frame isn't on my list of worries, been wantin to try it anyways so that would be as good a time as any but I an concerned about having to do the color change and end up killing 2 screens if it starts coming off but won't clean up all the way.

Acetone will remove all the adhesive from the HPV either way. So unless the heat loosens the stretch of the mesh you will be good to go and not completely trash the screen

Thanks for the input Shawn and I guess I'll know soon enough, just waiting on final design approval. I try not to get in these spots but sometimes I get blinded by the $$$ and this job is for a local school going to the championship game Friday.

• Like 1

I have done some pretty detailed screens using vinyl. I do put it on the shirt side, I know some say ink side but I am always a little bit different. And yes we have all been in the binds where you looking for things at the local hardware store that you will have to rig up to make it all work. I hate them days. 

• Like 2

I have used vinyl on some screens..  sometimes getting the vinyl to stick to the screen was my problem!..

Good Luck!!!

Yeah Shawn I did the vinyl on the shirt side as well. Always seemed like a bad idea on the ink side with the squeegee dragging over it. This is the design I have to do 10.5 w x 12 tall. Never tried text that small with vinyl.1461282_1439230326297104_951466118_n.jpg

Been following this thread and I'm interested to see the results!

Please keep us posted Jaybird!

I'll post results but it will probably be Thursday or Friday. I'm still taking orders and won't touch ink until tomorrow sometime. 

Good Luck.. Good Luck.. I can't wait to see the photo's :)

I'm wating at the edge of my seat i promis.. till i see photo's

Wise guy huh. I may end up doing a vinyl screen and a siser screen for comparison just so that I know which is better next time I screw up.

• Like 1

This has been 1 screwed up week at Jay's Place but I got it done. Did a screen in siser and it held up just as well as emulsion although I haven't tried to reclaim it yet and might not bother. The reason is when I dug my screens out of storage most were covered in white mold and the only thing that wasn't was a 230 mesh with for those who don't know what the means it has tiny, tiny holes for the ink to go through. Picture a garden hose and try to push a cannonball through it and you get the idea. For those that know what I'm talking about it was white ink which made it even worse for coverage but I finally got it. Hope everybody who reads this remembers to check everything before starting on a job to avoid the stress of stupidity.

• Like 1

So you screen printed with vinyl on the underside of your mesh.  How well did it hold up?  How many shirts did you do?  Did you use 631 or 651 vinyl?  Plastisol ink?   I've been wanting to try this.  I've heard of guys putting vinyl on both top and bottom of the screen.

Yeah Siser and it looks as good as when I made with over 50 shirts run through it. I have done with 651 but the longer the ink is on it the more detail you lose, doesn't happen in minutes but it does happen. I had to pick up more acetone to try to reclaim it but it will be later this week since my mother was admitted to the hospital for observation this afternoon. Kinda throws a wrench in my schedule.

They're keeping her overnight for observation but between the copd and sleep apnea her oxygen levels were pretty low. Problem is you never know how serious something is until the doctors check and it's around 40 minutes to the hospital so if it's real bad that's a long ride. Thanks for all the prayers and it looks like she'll be pack out tomorrow. No matter how hard you plan things out it's amazing how quick you end up throwing those plans out the window.