Graniteguy

Sandblasting!

I'm just getting into this but I've been happy with my results so far with AO 120 grit. Bought 5lbs off of eBay for $14.

just ordered 50# from Fastenal. AO 220. As far as a cabinet goes it prob could handle larger grit but for an AE nothing larger than 220 is recommended.. If you open a business acct. - no info required- you get it for $79 as opposed to $113. I figure I will NEVER need to order again. As for the soda I bought at HF that doesn't do squat, I have a large bag of that i need to try to resell or do whatever with.

220 will give you the very even almost gray look  - personally go for the more crystalline look of the coarser grit

• Like 1

Hi everyone, Happy New Year to you all!!! I was given for christmas of my son's a sand blasting gun and compressor, nice little set up, i have been experimenting with it for a while and i am very happy with the results on glass items. I bought some 120 grit which works really well. Now i have tried this on wood and it works to some extent but is there something else i should try? The stuff i have is like a fine sand. Must say it's quite addictive sandblasting just like the vinyl cutting, now there is not enough hours in the day .

On another note i think i might have to buy a cabinet as i have a plastic box with cling film wrapped round it , and it's in the conservatory with the compressor and don't think the wifes to happy about the grit all over the floor..... hahhah!

Ok guys...my 40# blast cabinet came in today.

Looking at the details of my aircompressor..

My compressor is a 26 gallon..150psi max...3.8 SCFMs @90 psi...

Hopefully that will be enuff...im only doing small stuff and a glass mug takes less than 1 minute to blast....

20140117_152916_zps9b676358.jpg

Ok guys...my 40# blast cabinet came in today.

Looking at the details of my aircompressor..

My compressor is a 26 gallon..150psi max...3.8 SCFMs @90 psi...

Hopefully that will be enuff...im only doing small stuff and a glass mug takes less than 1 minute to blast....

20140117_152916_zps9b676358.jpg

How well is your compressor working with the HF model? How do you feel about the HF cabinet and gun? I'm looking at the HF cabinet and this compressor. I would need to run a 240v line for that compressor. If I can get by with a smaller 120v compressor like this I would prefer to use that instead. Blasting sounds like a lot of fun and possible profit.

i havent used it yet...still in the process of putting it together...takes a bit longer to assemble when putting silicone all over to help seal it. i have the main part done and on legs, just gotta do the bottom funnel area and install the light and elec stuff...

its too damn cold right now to do any work in my garage, even with a nipco heater, lol

• Like 2

mine is in the pole barn and I won't touch it till spring - definitely understand the cold thing.   had to buy some new gloves for mine after 10 years and need to put them on - summer project!

In the end you will be glad you spent the little extra time to silicone but it will still find a little gets out somehow

How well is your compressor working with the HF model? How do you feel about the HF cabinet and gun? I'm looking at the HF cabinet and this compressor. I would need to run a 240v line for that compressor. If I can get by with a smaller 120v compressor like this I would prefer to use that instead. Blasting sounds like a lot of fun and possible profit.

You should be ok with a compressor of that size.  Glass usually doesn't need to be cut deep like stone.  Eventually you'll probably want something a little bigger, but with the HF cabinet and such, your setup should give you plenty of satisfaction.

Wow! Just found this thread. Very informative reading. Right now I am just using the HF air eraser but I see a cabinet in my future. 

Butch

I have the benchtop cabinet from Tractor Supply, very similiar to the one at Harbor Freight.  Anybody have a clue how I would convert it to footpedal control?

I have a question about the sandblasting cabinet I recently purchased, hopefully one of you can help me. So I hooked it all up and everything is great except one small thing..... I'm using AO and it doesn't like to fall back to the bottom of my harbor freight cabinet to recycle through the hose. I have to shake the whole cabinet while my arms are inside the gloves to get some of the AO to slide down to where the hose is so I can continue to blast the glass or mirror. Anyone ever run into this issue? Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

I have a question about the sandblasting cabinet I recently purchased, hopefully one of you can help me. So I hooked it all up and everything is great except one small thing..... I'm using AO and it doesn't like to fall back to the bottom of my harbor freight cabinet to recycle through the hose. I have to shake the whole cabinet while my arms are inside the gloves to get some of the AO to slide down to where the hose is so I can continue to blast the glass or mirror. Anyone ever run into this issue? Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

Put more AO in it. I think it holds 5-10 pounds.

another idea if it is metal is to remove the ao and spray the bottom with this stuff to make it more slippery - I use it under mower decks and on the snow blower chute.  it makes it slick

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ez-slide-graphite-based-coating-12-oz-aerosol

• Like 2

Put more AO in it. I think it holds 5-10 pounds.

thanks, I'll try that. I went to get more today at harbor freight but they were out, they said they won't get any more until a week from monday!

another idea if it is metal is to remove the ao and spray the bottom with this stuff to make it more slippery - I use it under mower decks and on the snow blower chute.  it makes it slick

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ez-slide-graphite-based-coating-12-oz-aerosol

never in my life have I ever heard of this stuff. wow, you learn something new everyday.

thanks, I'll try that. I went to get more today at harbor freight but they were out, they said they won't get any more until a week from monday!

never in my life have I ever heard of this stuff. wow, you learn something new everyday.

they use it in gravity wagons to make the corn, grain, etc slide out the chute and not get stuck on the sloped floor - when you put it in one you are not going to stand up in it anymore!   yeh it's a country thang!

they use it in gravity wagons to make the corn, grain, etc slide out the chute and not get stuck on the sloped floor - when you put it in one you are not going to stand up in it anymore!   yeh it's a country thang!

Is that the same stuff as "slip plate" we used to put on combine headers to get the plants to move through easier? If so, nothing will stick to it. LOL

I think I did 2 glasses and one mirror with the air eraser before I went out an bought the HF cabinet.  I bought the tabletop but now wish I would have bought the bigger one.  Bought some 150 grit from Fastenal and I'm addicted!!  I've done a few glasses, cheap mirrors and a couple stones.  Probably will be buying another cabinet soon so I can have one for glass and another for stone, the 150 grit takes forever with stone.

I'd like to get this thread moving again.  Started out with my cutter to do decals but see myself hopefully going this way instead!