Graniteguy

Sandblasting!

lueman, check out dickblick.com.  That's a glass art supply and they have glass paints there.  The rub'n buff is a great idea too.

JT

• Like 1

I have some of the thick 3M reflective I'll trade for that if he passes. It's like duct tape, I can't use it at all. I'll have to look and see how much I have, but thinking it's two 5' rolls of 54" material.

Go for it. I think I'll hang on to the reflective for now. 

I'm heading out later after work.  

Anyone have a suggestion for what to buy from HF to shoot media?

Being totally a newbie to this. I have now purchased a small pressure pot AND a table top cabinet. My observation is that the cabinet and siphon style gun are real simple and easy to use. A lot less control though because they have bigger tips and use more air to create enough pull to suck up the grit but having a trigger right there to control is sweet and probably how I would have started had I known the cabinet came with a gun. My HF guy told be it didn't. LOL. Even if I had gotten the pressure pot only, I would have went back and bought the cabinet to have control of the dust and media.  Now for the pressure pot I went ahead and put it together and actually have used it more because you can turn the pressure way down and just kind of take it easy which is nice, especially with using the Green Star vinyl as a resist for light glass work. You have to let it get going for 30 seconds to a minute so it will smooth out. Right at first it shoots a ton of media out but then once the line clears it runs great. The down side it that you can't really control the overall thing as handy. There is a valve out at the work end but it's just for all the way on or all the way off. The main control valves are at the pressure pot and you have your hands stuck in rubber gloves in the cabinet so... If you try to regulate things at the work end they say you'll wear out the valve and I believe it. So to start with you're going to want a cabinet in my opinion. You can add to that as you go. 

• Like 1

Scott, what is this "rub 'n buff" you speak of?  I have tried to google it, and search for it on us cutter without success...

Thanks,

Cal

Scott, what is this "rub 'n buff" you speak of?  I have tried to google it, and search for it on us cutter without success...

Thanks,

Cal

http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-rub-n-buff-metallic-finishes/

http://www.misterart.com/painting/decorative-painting/faux-finishing/rub-n-buff-the-original-wax-metallic-finish.html

Thanks for the link Scott!  Would the rub 'n buff be suitable for use on a glass?  It wouldn't wash off?  Do you have to use the glass surface prep under this if used in the etched area?  Next time I am in Atlanta I will see if the Blick store carries it.

Thanks again,

Cal

Folkart Acrylic paint once baked on is supose to be dishwasher safe. I played around with it a little but it wasn't the look I was wanting. I etched a glass with the Armor etch cream and then without removing the stencil did the paint. I also tried painting a section of the glass with out etching. Both looked the same so the etching was kind of pointless. A deaper etch that you can get from a sandblaster might give better results. Small bottles are only like $1.50 at Hobby Lobby so it doesn't cost much to try different things. I found a couple of web pages talking about different techniques and ways to achive translucent effects.

you can get 'rubnbuff' at Michaels  and Hobby Lobby also.

Thanks theresat, I picked up a tube at Hobby Lobby last night and tried it out.  I think by the time I was done that I had as much on me as I did the mirror!!!

I did like the results though.  I wonder, can you "over apply", or rub it too much on application?  On my test piece I really rubbed it in and buffed it immediately and didn't get much color left.  On my good pieces I just rubbed it in first and left it to dry awhile before buffing it.

Cal

Scott, like your new avatar.  I can relate to it... Have a safe trip

Thanks Cal - I know when I use the rub n buff it has been with the heavy grit so it has quite a bit to grab onto.  just a thought for those that use acid etch  it wont work as good as that is a very fine surface etch

Thanks theresat, I picked up a tube at Hobby Lobby last night and tried it out.  I think by the time I was done that I had as much on me as I did the mirror!!!

I did like the results though.  I wonder, can you "over apply", or rub it too much on application?  On my test piece I really rubbed it in and buffed it immediately and didn't get much color left.  On my good pieces I just rubbed it in first and left it to dry awhile before buffing it.

Cal

Scott, like your new avatar.  I can relate to it... Have a safe trip

What little experience I have with rub n buff has not been on blasted glass.  I did put on a good layer, wait awhile, then buff.  It is a very interesting and versatile product.

• Like 1

Hey good tip on the rub n buff! I used some antique gold on one of my Christmas plates and it worked great to bring out the etch and add some Christmas Cheer. 

• Like 1

I bought the WRONG color. This was my first try so I didn't have anything to buff with except a rag. Did anyone use anything else.? I found it hard to remove if I did the whole etched area and go back to buff. It was hard to get off the unetched area. All the area was -was a single initial monogram. :-\

Theresa try putting the rub n buff on before you take the vinyl off

Bob

• Like 1

putting in on before i remove vinyl - well DUH !!! why didn't i think of that. I am so blonde. - OK, no blonde jokes. !!!! Thank you !!!!

putting in on before i remove vinyl - well DUH !!! why didn't i think of that. I am so blonde. - OK, no blonde jokes. !!!! Thank you !!!!
that's what we do around here help each other even when it might have been obvious to someone else. It isn't always obvious to us at the time
  • Like 3

Good tips here!  Was in Atlanta last week and found a couple colors that the local H.L. didn't carry.

The mirror that I did use this one got great reviews...

Cal

Bob, I searched my hubby's dremel for the felt when I was attempting this but he didn't have the felt pad. At least I did think of that. Thanks for the help.

that's what we do around here help each other even when it might have been obvious to someone else. It isn't always obvious to us at the time

More eyes, more solutions.  We don't all see the same thing at the same time, but together we see everything.  I hope everyone had a super Christmas and New Year.  

Another thing about the Rub n Buff:  Harbor Freight has a nice little flexible shaft unit with a foot pedal speed control.  I've had one for a couple of years now and wouldn't trade it for much of anything (yes, everything has a price) except maybe a name brand version of the same thing.  

JT

• Like 1

I just ordered the 40# Sand blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. 

They have it on sale til Sunday for $189....

I can't wait to get it and set it up in my garage!

Also, i will have to buy some media/sand soon....what do u recommend for doing glass??