bossman696

Building New In-Plant Sign Shop from Scratch

It's finally happening!  It has been in the works for months, but my company finally gave the go ahead to open the new North Property Printshop!  I am so excited!  I have picked my equipment and will be doing the site survey next Wednesday.  

I will be building my sign tables myself unless I can find them rather inexpensively, but I was wondering what is a good table top material to cut against?  I have seen in a few videos where it looks like some people have a hard surface that they cut against.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I also thought about buying the greenie material and using that as an inlaid table top.

I convinced them to go with the new Epson S30670 Solvent printer even though most of what we do will be indoors only, but the substrates seem to be less expensive and we could add outdoor stuff later.  We have an older Epson 11880 as well, but it is super slow and the ink is really expensive for it.  The quality is amazing though!  I will give it that!

I would also like to see any table designs any of you have put together yourselves or know of.  

congrats on the new building and printer - on the surface I like the self healing mat myself but when i went to see a friends shop he had 1/4" plate glass that worked really well also - in about 2 years I have pretty well worn out 1 side of my mat - not sure how much longer I will get on the other but will lose the grids I have came to love.  If I did the glass I would print a grid for under it

We have some rubber mats at work that are between 3/8" and 1/2" thick and indestructible. We cut fiberglass on them with the round Olfa cutters and then never show a mark. I will find out who makes them Monday.

• Like 3

I though about the glass as well and figured I could print the lines under it.  That could indeed be an option and the way to go.  I could get something started and see what I need as time goes on and change out the print as needed.  

Thank you.  The misses isn't that happy about it, or at least wants to make me think she isn't.  I told here just do like you normally do and pretend I'm not here.

• Like 1

The material we use for our table tops is called adiprene and we get it from Griffith Polymer in Oregon. I looked on their website and couldn't find any pricing information on it.

• Like 1

Why not go all out and make the table a giant light box as well.

cuz he has a printer - doesn't need a light box . . . .

Yeah, A light box would be overkill.. but I see your point.  If you are building something anyway, why not go all out?  Looks like I'm not getting the Epson though, the sales lady talked me into a Mutoh 1624 which was running a promotion where they would through in a 72" Value Cutter with a ARMS system for the same price as the Epson.  The Mutoh is more expensive, but apparently we have some large volume purchasing contract that gives us special pricing on equipment.  Who knew?

I can live with that.

Ha!, yeah guess that would make sence. 

I love the quote in your signature!  That should be on a shirt….  I'll get right on that!   ;D

• Like 1