Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Lexan, is there a proper way to install?

Lexan arrived rolled up, two 5'x7' sheets.

It was held together with steel bands, and when I cut them, the material popped like a Pillsbury bisquits tube opening.

Anyway, there's now a slight bend or curvature and I'm wondering, when installing into a light box frame which side goes out -- the concave or the convex?

concave -- bowing inwards

convex -- bowing outwards

You should have a masking showing the proper side most lexans are uv treated one side

The lexan i use has a blue protective film on the side you apply vinyl to

Nope, just similar plastic-sheet coating on both sides.

I'm wondering if there's an advantage of inserting the material into the sign box with it bowing out or inwards.

To my way of thinking, it will be preferable for the curvature to be to the outside.

Yes, that is what happened, it's now laying flat after just sitting on the table overnight.

Thank you.

^-^

Are you using a hangar bar? On most lexan signs over 48" tall you need a hangar bar to prevent the lexan from buckling.

A strip of material ( i usally use scrap lexan ) attached at the top of the panel to help keep all the weight from resting on the bottom retainer. The recomended largest size for 3/16 flat panels are 4x8 or 32 sq. Ft. I have done as large as 4x20 and and no problem using hanger bars and bumpers to keep the face from dish panning.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

So, if I understand this right, the hanger bar is glued along the top edge, and will slide into the track of the light box.

I'm visualizing it to be like this (side view) ---

post-21408-0-77526800-1384479569_thumb.j

is the box existing and you are just changing panels or are you making a new box?

If box is existing, just look at existing lexan panels or even just the top track and it should make a little more sense.

Essentially your pict.ure is correct although the bar would sit just below the top rather than flush.

We have used Lexan scrap like 

mabscotthandyman said

or you can use angle iron.  How the hangar bar is attached to the lexan really depends on the box