smendlik

Etsy/Ebay/PayPal Shipping Label Printer

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.  I'm thinking about buying a label printer to make shipping labels for the decals I sell on both Ebay & Etsy, ideally with both the address & postage on the label.

I figured out which printer to get but when I look at Ebay I don't see a shipping option for USPS First Class Mail, just USPS First Class Package.  The  cost difference is significant, why pay $1.29 to mail a single decal in a 6"x9" envelope when I can pay 46 cents.

I thought I would just print the label between the common denominator and print through PayPal but it has the same options as Ebay (go figure).  

Suggestions?

You are correct EBAY/Paypal prints First Class package ,  First Class is up to 13oz.  and it includes  FREE delivery confirmation/tracking..  because everything on EBAY is a package/parcel.    Not letter mail.

You cannot even print First Class Package thru USPS.com online.

I mail decals in 6" x 9" all the time.   And other larger manilla envelopes.   And use Paypal shipping.  You have to figure you shipping costs into your decal prices.  Customers still buy.

Ebay owns Paypal.

• Like 1

So much for making things easier for me, seems silly to pay more than necessary for shipping. On the other hand it might be worth the extra money for tracking as I had a couple of packages lost recently.

Thanks for the information.

So much for making things easier for me, seems silly to pay more than necessary for shipping. On the other hand it might be worth the extra money for tracking as I had a couple of packages lost recently.

Thanks for the information.

Sorry, to say, but in this age and Ebay customers,, getting an item with no tracking, is considered a "gift",  and those people will file a claim. Because you can't prove they got it.  Cheating Ebay customers look for that.

• Like 4

Sorry, to say, but in this age and Ebay customers,, getting an item with no tracking, is considered a "gift",  and those people will file a claim. Because you can't prove they got it.  Cheating Ebay customers look for that.

Hadn't thought of that, good point.

also remember when sending those "first class package" they have to be 1/4" thick or they will be returned as they don't meet the criteria- I just put a single packing peanut in the envelope when packaging - friend at the post office taught me that one.

also remember when sending those "first class package" they have to be 1/4" thick or they will be returned as they don't meet the criteria- I just put a single packing peanut in the envelope when packaging - friend at the post office taught me that one.

I thought they dropped that requirement. I haven't had to do that in quite some time.

I have been shipping on eBay for seven years and only shipped one package without tracking info and immediately got a claim for non delivery. I learned a valuable lesson that day!

• Like 2

I have been shipping on eBay for seven years and only shipped one package without tracking info and immediately got a claim for non delivery. I learned a valuable lesson that day!

I think I will need to change my shipping practice.  I am dealing with a non-delivery case right now.  I sent replacement decals out two weeks ago and now I'm trying to get the customer to close the case, I am getting no response from the person. 

I was trying to be low cost and keep shipping low on a $5 decal as it can be shipped via a regular postage stamp.  I figured $1.5 or so for shipping would keep customers from buying my $5 decal over someone elses.  Completely different issue when you are talking about more expensive decals.

I've been selling on ebay regularly . better off just using postage stamps. reason is the post office and mail person has to scan the envelope when delivered. about 30 percent don't. (my experience anyway). even if tracking says delivered and customer says they never got it you would be forced by ebay to return their money or replace. Aside that you would most likely get a negative feedback..and that affects your sales. this is only my opinion. been there-done that

• Like 2

On small decals, I just put a postage stamp on a 6 x 9 envelope. Maybe 1 time out of 20 will I get someone saying they never got it. Most people are honest. When they ask, I don't mind sending a replacement. I know it's cheaper for me in the long run. Never had an actual eBay claim filed against me.

On small decals, I just put a postage stamp on a 6 x 9 envelope. Maybe 1 time out of 20 will I get someone saying they never got it. Most people are honest. When they ask, I don't mind sending a replacement. I know it's cheaper for me in the long run. Never had an actual eBay claim filed against me.

same here but the odds seam to change for anything going to NYC.   

• Like 1

Ive been paying for ebays first class package to ship smaller decals.$1.69 i didnt know you could use a stamp.

I bought a digital postage scale from Ebay for $15 and weigh each envelope before shipping then go to USPS.com and see how much postage I'll need.  Using stamps I sometimes overpay by using multiple stamps but it saves me a trip to the Post Office.

Ive been paying for ebays first class package to ship smaller decals.$1.69 i didnt know you could use a stamp.

two things - by stamp you lose the ability to track and you also have no way to prove your shipped on time for your seller discounts . . .  .  so it is like self insuring

The postman at work still refuses to take my 6"x9" envelopes with a decal in it because it's too flat and he thinks you can't do that. I tell him I pay for a 2oz parcel but whatever. Lately I have been crumbling a piece of paper in it to bulge it and he takes it  :blink: .This costs $1.69. Normal decals go in a $.46 envelope but no tracking unfortunately. I've been thinking of investing in dymo/endicia but I haven't yet. I do know that you can get USPS tracking on a 1oz International envelope using Endicia and it's only $1.10 right now.

I've also learned if you don't buy shipping online and go to the PO with a 6"x9" envelope, the cost will be more if the address is on it the vertical way as opposed to horizontal. 

The postman at work still refuses to take my 6"x9" envelopes with a decal in it because it's too flat and he thinks you can't do that. I tell him I pay for a 2oz parcel but whatever. Lately I have been crumbling a piece of paper in it to bulge it and he takes it  :blink: .This costs $1.69. Normal decals go in a $.46 envelope but no tracking unfortunately. I've been thinking of investing in dymo/endicia but I haven't yet. I do know that you can get USPS tracking on a 1oz International envelope using Endicia and it's only $1.10 right now.

actually my friend at the post office said just put a packing peanut in there - makes it thick enough and doesn't add hardly any weight 

The same goes for putting the shipping label on the short side,  or you will be charged more.  It goes top to bottom on the short side.    I learned quick when I first started.    Post office called me, I had to pay more. 

wow carolyn - never been called on that one - I always put them on top . .  . so you have to put it on and end and the shortest way of the box.  I am sure my other "friend" at the post office will find that one sooner or later.  he got me for less than 1/10 oz last week .. .  I shaved the tube a little and made it  >:D 

I was told it by my post office, that it has to be like this,years ago,for these 6x9 envelopes.  so I have been doing it ever since.   I had 1 going the long way, and I had to pay extra to get it shipped. I think I got charged a parcel rate.  But just this week, I got the same size envelope and the label was put on the long way.  So who knows.  post-3058-0-94050600-1386886825_thumb.jp

thanks for the tip either way - will try to comply and if I miss one hope it continues to go thru.  I thought they was going to kiss me though when I started cutting the barcode to place it long way on the tubes so maybe I got a little point back for that .