Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

KeySpan and LP24 Troubles: Machine Locking-Up!

Hi all,

I'm having serious issues trying to install the USC LP24 under Windows 7 with a KeySpan and using SignCut Prod Pro. Basically, my machine is locking-up and forcing a hard reboot (not good).

Note, I've had all of these items working perfectly fine, but I was getting bad cuts and was trying to upgrade SignCut. That's when my troubles started.

Versions:

Signcut: Version 1,07. Tried 1.95 and 1.96 (Beta). 1.07 has the 3-point calibration I need, and is the last known-good version.
Keyspan: Older known-good working driver.

What's happening is that even with the KeySpan on Com 3, I can choose my cutter in SignCut and then attempt to calibrate, and it will mark a cross for me to align with the LP24 laser. Trouble is, anything after that seems to lock-up the machine. My keys (to move the cutter) don't work, whether they're from my PC keyboard, my USB keypad or the cutter itself. Then, it goes into this unresponsive mode and eventually, I am forced to reboot.

When I test with the Keyspan util, everything is fine and tests pass (before Signcut is running). Com 3 appears to be free and clear, and 'Idle' before testing.

However, trying to calibrate is basically crashing my machine. I don't know if it's the KeySpan (I suspect it is hardware). Should I be using my Keyspan in Windows Serial Mode in SignCut? Or, should I leave that unchecked? I'm assuming Windows Serial Mode allows for dynamic assignment of interrupts instead of being fixed like the olden days.

I know this is a weird confuence of potentials, but some of you computer types might be able to offer some insights. Note, 'reinstalling windows' is not an option at this point. ;)

Thanks!

Spacep0d

Just trying to work out if it's a SignCut, cutter or Keyspan problem. What do you all think?

Ok, so here's an update for those who might have some useful ideas.

1. I am able to cut an existing design, even though I can't calibrate my cutter.

2. I can contour-cut using SignCut, and can jog the cutter using my USB 10-key keyboard.

3. Keyspan passes all tests.

When I try to calibrate, that's when I run into problems, which generally result in my entire PC locking-up. This makes me not want to keep trying to calibrate because I don't want to harm my PC, but why would my cutter cut an existing design but not want to calibrate? Is calibration from SignCut somehow different with my existing hardware?

So, it can't just be a SignCut problem, can it?

I need help here if anyone has enough expertise to lend some useful advice. Thanks!

I am going to call SignCut soon as they're open.

People don't seem interested in this problem. ;) Look at all the responses! :D How are you, Dakota? Congrats on your SuperMod status!

I was having some kind of hardware issue. The Keyspan passed all testing.

What was happening is that when I would go to calibrate, the machine would lock-up (very scary thing to have happen repeatedly) and I would have to hard-reboot.

So, what I did was standard problem-solving. First, I disabled all non-essential programs; anti-virus, anti-Malware, an app called 'DeskPins', Adobe monitor, etc. I shut down all non-essential apps and services.

Then, I unplugged all non-essential USB devices. Printer, USB audio device, etc.

Then, I tried calibration again and it worked. I also tried it outside of Windows Serial Mode, though I don't know if that was the issue. It could be that my Malware or Anti-Virus program was interfering too, but I seem to recall having those when I first calibrated, since I always run that software.

Weird problem, but the cutter cuts nicely now. FINALLY. Sheesh.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update - that is the power of the forum we can search this out next time we run into a similar situation.  personally use a dedicated computer for the cutter - not on net - no anti virus (which slows any computer down) or other things to interfere.  I don;t use signcut - tried it when we had a contest on vf years ago and they sponsored the contest but had no real knowledge to add or would have jumped in earlier

It's all good. I was kinda desperate or I wouldn't have even asked for help, normally. Usually I'm pretty good about fixing this stuff. But, glad to have fixed it. I like doing everything on one PC. I just cut a new round of decals and the problems I was trying to fix (with the upgrades) are now fixed. Much better cuts, and less wasted vinyl with much-less frustration.

• Like 2