Sign in to follow this  
aka Mich

30 degree vs 45 degree blades

First post but I'll skip the introductions and get right to the point.  I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between cutting with a 30 degree blade and a 45. 

I've been working at a sign shop for almost 8 years now and we've always just ordered the same blades because that is what we've always used.  Now we actually have a boss that is receptive to change and discussion about what works and what doesn't and it's a question that came up that I really don't know the answer to.  We've always had issues with the quality of the cuts using a 30 degree CB15U blade cutting 3M Prismatic High Intensity and Diamond Grade material but have just accepted it as what it is. 

I would call ross at cleancut blades and ask him - he has a special blade for reflectives - personally I use a 60 for everything but I think a 45 will last longer for your application.  Again Ross is the expert on these and you will get a longer life blade.  http://www.cleancutblade.com/

I'm no expert either but I did save a lot of money on my car insurance through....wait, never mind that. I did buy a new cutter this year and asked pointed questions to the staff at Summa. Summa uses a 36* standard blade and then a 60* for thick stuff (and they told me also some use the 60* for super small fine cutting) I bought a 60 and the additional holder for it but haven't needed to use it yet and I've cut some seriously small lettering. The theory for thick stuff is that there is more blade at the steeper angle so you can cut through thicker products like flocks, twills and sandblast. I BELIEVE the theory behind using 60* for fine cutting is the steeper angle helps reduce the lift when dragging the knife through corners. Makes some sense to me although I have yet to use my fandancy blade and holder I suspect I will some day.