Sign in to follow this  
Glamiskid395

LP 2 stopping midway thru a cut

Hello, I thought I had this problem figured out, but it has come back.

Just as the title says, the plotter stops with the blade in the down position, mid cut. This time it has happened on a 70" x 6" Logo that goes on trucks. its a simple logo that just says 'Icon Vehicle Dynamics'.

I am using sure cuts a lot pro 3. once it says all the data has been sent, it keeps cutting but then stops. the machine continues to say 'now is cutting...'

I also have a grounding wire from the plotter to the stand. 

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

does it do the same thing, with the blade holder out?  If it does finish,  most likely static.   Then try wiping the machine and vinyl with dryer sheets,  spray some Static Guard. Some people put dryer sheets in the vinyl rolls.

I am using static guard, i spray just the vinyl, should I spray the blade too?

another note, when unrolling the vinyl by hand while its on the rollers, my computer disconnects and reconnects, It thinks I'm unplugging the machine and plugging it back in. I am using a USB cable. 

I will try the cut without the blade in.

then it sounds like you don't have a good connection.    If you can go serial cable or a Keyspan adapter,  that is the brand name.  Then it will give you a good connection.   Usb to your computer from Keyspan,, then serial cable to Keyspan and  to your cutter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/160804080791?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2570ab8c97

• Like 1

I'll pick up a Serial Cable tomorrow. I hope it will help. wasting this vinyl isn't good. 

I also notice when cutting it likes to skip around, is there a way to keep it from doing this? so it doesn't constantly feed the roll back and forth? Maybe cut down on possible static build-up.

Only your cutting software can do that.  You don't state what your using.  Flexistarter has it.   I think Signblazer has a form of it.     (Rolling from 1 end to the other)  Some software it is called optimize cutting order.

Thanks for all your help Mz. SKEETER! It is greatly appreciated! 

Your welcome.  Hope it works out for you...  ;D   

• Like 1

I have had this problem also in my SC a few times and I believe it to be a memory issue. I believe the way it does skip around using SCALP it uses more memory then it should. Going to serial or keyspan like Ms Skeeter said improved things for me but there is still that instance it happens with larger or more detailed images. I bounce between flexistarter10 and SCALP myself depending what im doing. 1 program will cut what the other wont and vise versus

Keyspan (brand) is recommended because it has been proven to work where some others have not. That being said I can't guarantee that'll help either but it's worth a try if you can't connect directly to serial

Little update, i got the Serial adapter from Radioshack. 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3120513

The SCALP software picks up the cable but wont send any info to the plotter.  The cable driver software is installed.

This is why I suggested   you to get a Keyspan Adapter,  That is the brand name.   Previously posted from tech support.

The issue could be a number of different things, likely static related if it's just stopping in the middle of cuts. The USB to serial adapter wont resolve the static issues but it can help to mitigate them since a serial connection is harder to interrupt. First, if your cutter is a first generation MH (mk1) it will need to have a Null Modem serial cable coming from the cutter to the adapter. Second, most radio shack USB to Serial adapters will not work... Or Staples or Office Depot for that matter. That's why we only carry the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. It's the only one that we can say for sure will work as it should every time and we've tested it thoroughly.  Another solid USB to serial adapter is a Belkin- but in either case you have to have a Null Modem serial cable for either to work. Banner John is correct in that a serial connection is given COM 1 by default, however, if you're using a USB to serial adapter it will likely get a regular COM port number in the device manager. If none of this helps, be sure to call in to the support department and speak with Mike Northman. 425-902-1302

I am posting now to update that i believe i found the problem where the plotter would freeze while cutting, even when all the data was sent. i realized the rollers were not contacting metal to continue the ground to the stand and then to the machine. the bearings sit on plastic. so I backed out the screws holding the plastic piece down so they contact the bearing, and I have not had a problem since.  Hope that makes sense, and in the future will help out anyone else with this problem.

-Mike

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. Nothing more frustrating than equipment that doesn't want to do it's job.