karkess

2 more questions

First, Thank you to everyone who's been so helpful!  I've never been part of a more accommodating community!

1.  What effects to rear windshield wiper blades have on vinyl?  Has anyone notices a huge decrease in the life of the vinyl?

2.  Having the "privilege" of living in Michigan, old man winter is on it's way and I have no shop to apply decals, so is there a temperature range for the application of vinyl?  If so, can I use a heat gun to warm the surface of the vehicle?

Thanks again!

If you let the wiper blade get worn, it will ruin the vinyl.

Install the glass should be fairly warm...unless you use RapidTac 2....I have done installs on very cold glass with that.

• Like 2

When my grand-daughter was born , I put a heart shaped decal with her info in it on the back glass of my wife's minivan . Right in the wiper area . We kept good blades on it and when I took it off 4 years later it was still in good shape .

It dont work quite as good as in the viedo but does work. I belive the tempature is supposed to be above fifty but by experince i can tell you that the colder it is the harder to remove the tape especially on glass.

You can use a heat gun but I just ask them to leave it running with the heat on high.

In the summer I ask  them to cut the air on cause tinted windows down here in the south WILL burn you.

Thanks.  Do you know of the temp I should start to be careful at?  Also if I'm putting this on a door or tailgate, does temp matter?

Just leave it on low and if it's too hot to touch it's too hot period.

I used to be scared of thermal shock on glass but everybody I know down here pours hot water on their windshield to clear the frost in the morning and I've never heard of anybody braking the glass. I still try to be cautious and just be aware of what's going on in front of that heat gun.

I used to be scared of thermal shock on glass but everybody I know down here pours hot water on their windshield to clear the frost in the morning and I've never heard of anybody braking the glass. I still try to be cautious and just be aware of what's going on in front of that heat gun.

A wife texts her husband on an a bitter cold winter morning - "windows frozen".

The husband texts back "pour hot water on it"

A few minutes later the wife responds "computer won't even turn on now".

• Like 6

Surface temp is what matters. Air temp isn't an issue if the surface temp is warm enough

^^^ Brings me back to my original question, modified.  What is the minimum temperature a surface could be and still have effective adhesion?

I believe Oracal recommended application temperature min is 40deg and max at 90deg. Those are actual surface temps. I use a touch of shade in the summer and squirt the window or surface with action tac or just regular cleaning solution that I use which is a blend of denatured alcohol and water. If its cold then I too use a very careful heat gun but a hair dryer would suffice to just raise the temp a few degrees.