jaybyrd

mason jars

I started making these a while back after some discussion on here. But I got sick of having to drill the top for a straw and pay the jacked up prices for the little rubber grommet to go in the hole so I did the redneck thing and improvised. Grommet press isn't just for banners anymore.

photobucket-8816-1382098320132_zps6f0307

photobucket-6436-1382098451878_zps554aeb

photobucket-6366-1382098343043_zps08b025

• Like 6

Those little rubber grommets were around a buck each at lowes. Really cut into the bottom line besides I think the grommet looks cleaner.

Lowered the handle till it was just touching then 1 quick motion, straight through. And that was with the Frogger press. If that'll do it any press can.

• Like 2

Sand blasted. Easy to do. Just use some vinyl to make a stencil, I used Oracal 651. I used an air eraser to etch/sandblast it. You can get cheap models which is what I started out with around 35.00 at harbor freight. I bought a Paasche it was around 100.00+ well worth the money. Assuming you already have an air compressor.

Looks good. I've been toying with the idea for a while just haven't gotten off my but yet.

No more rubber grommets for me. This looks way more professional and it's faster.

When I was younger I had a job blasting machinery. Black beauty really goes EVERYWHERE.  Wipe your butt and get scratched from that stuff

Great idea!  Now here is a stupid question...what grommets did you use?  Could you please show me the underside of the lid of the mason jar, please?  I just made fifty 'Red Neck Etched' glasses for Christmas and I would love to put grommets on the lid.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated... :huh:

They were just regular #4 grommets from uscutter. Customer already picked them up so a pic of the underside won't be until I get another order for them. It looked fine though and the customer was very happy with them.

Jaybird, thank you for your speedy reply.  Going to play around this weekend with grommets, thanks to you... :lol:

I accept no responsibility, err credit for this. Personally I think it looks a lot nicer than a rubber grommet stuck in the hole.

• Like 1