TT57

opinions welcome.

] have been asked to RE-create the sign for the side of a truck door. I believe a dump truck. A close blurry shot of the one on there is all I got from a neighbor. The only thing requested was the triangle shape. There was no phone # on the orig. which I believe is needed but if they want this I will see if they want that added. He wanted yellow for the triangle to stay so I went with blue. Can be changed if wanted. Approx. size=18 x 14. Created in SCAL cuz that is what I have. This is my first so I know it doesn't match up to you guys and that is why I am asking. I am posting my design and also the one I went off of.  What would u charge and type of vinyl ?? I have 651- and thought that was good enough ? I don't know how many trucks there are or if I will install but if you can slip me an "each" figure I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

post-36131-0-39489600-1381957090_thumb.p

post-36131-0-89193000-1381957103_thumb.j

$30 a door 2 color. Some are way higher, some are way cheaper. I like to think I'm in the middle.

• Like 2

Looks like they used gold leaf vinyl for the "HAYS" portion in the original...   the cheapest (and that isn't the right word to use...) gold leaf vinyl on US Cutter is $137 for a 15" x 30' roll...

You can get a 24" x 10' roll from Foxfire for $21.99, although it probably isn't as good of quality as Oracal, but I've been happy with everything I ordered from FoxFire so far...

Just a FYI I was pricing base colors. Glad you mentioned the goldleaf OW.

• Like 1

thanks EL, i looked till my eyes crossed for the font. OW, i wondered about the shine. thanks. Well, there were no instructions on preferences except the triangle so I may change out the HAYS  with EL's font and see what they think and see if there are actually requests. Maybe give them the option of either .

So the Oracal 651 would be sufficient ?

I use 651 almost esclusively and 5-6 years on a work truck is a long time. They usually get beat up long before they have vinyl related issues

The USDOT requires a phone number somewhere on the vehicle, if I am not mistaken. I have driven for over 30 years, and can't remember having ever driven one that DIDN'T have the phone number! I think it has something to do with the public having some where to report you to when you run people off the road, while sending text messages!! Anyway, I thought it looked pretty good! We charged $180.00, but we did the complete truck. Unit number, USDOT numbers all required PUC's and all that. Also, the truck we did, hauls hazardous waste, too! (perhaps THAT would explain why we glow in the dark now!) We used 651, and a REAL hard font to weed! Took us about 6 hours, or so!!!

• Like 1

thanks galaxy, I thought it was weird not to have a # also.

Yeah I would definitely change the hays to something closer to what they have. Maybe throw an arc on the "Trucking" and find more of a crazier font for it if thats what they like. If it was me though, Id just change the Hays and see what they say before doing unneeded work. Sounds like instructions from customer were pretty vague so I like to try to get it close then let them critique if they dont like it. And definitely find out if they want that gold leaf cause that will really impact cost. If I am not mistaken engine turn is a little cheaper and carries a somewhat similar effect.

• Like 1

I would have loaded that image in inkscape and traced the bitmap to kinda vectorize it. It might give you the trace you need and then add your colors. Or you can trace it by hand and have an exact copy. I dont know if your program does that, ive only used Inkscape so far.

What graphics program are you using? You need to check out Adobe Illustrator CS 4, 5 or 6. It's a great vector editing software and will help excel your design efforts. Also, you could probably go to youtube.com and find some short tutorials that tell you how to use the software. Also, a few sites like David Airey ( http://www.davidairey.com/ ), http://99designs.com/ (to practice your design skills) , http://www.howdesign.com/ and LAST BUT NOT LEAST:  http://www.graphicd-signs.com/about-team-dan  (Dan Antonelli - the most current and awesome sign designer that I have ever seen) Read his articles, you will love them. He is very talented.