Carlcas

Best application Tape

I'm tired of using the "Its our tape" from the local provider....Im tired of when applying that the decal doesn't stay on the tape and constantly having to put it back down and rubbing it over and over with a squeegee just to get it to stick. I use 651 Vinyl 95% of the time.

In your opinion whats the best tape?

Thanks

Carlcas

• Like 1

1) there is no "best" overall tape as they all serve specific functions.  For example, when working with Oracal 631 vinyl, the "best" tape to use is Oracal HT55 paper tape - but that tape doesn't work with other Oracal vinyls.

2) If you're only going to stock 1 kind of tape, go with what Jaybird suggested above, as it's damn good tape.  The RLA in the name is Release Liner Adhesive formulation, which means it actually stays stuck down on the liner and doesn't peel up and curl (as much) as other paper tapes.   If you insist on using clear (plastic) tapes, then my favorite of those is Rtape Clear Choice AT75, but I'm getting to the point where I use all paper tape now, unless it's something I'm making for retail sale that needs to be displayed.

I went totally paper a while back and for retail I usually cut a dot of the actual color and stick it on a header card. People have less trouble with paper tape especially when they try to wet install.

1) there is no "best" overall tape as they all serve specific functions.  For example, when working with Oracal 631 vinyl, the "best" tape to use is Oracal HT55 paper tape - but that tape doesn't work with other Oracal vinyls.

Interesting that you would say this.  I bought the Oracal HT55 app tape and have been using that exclusively on both 631 & 651, both matte and glossy.  I haven't had any problems or complaints.  Have I just been getting lucky?  The next time I need to order app tape I'll give the RTape RLA 4076 a try (I only have had luck with paper tape as well).

Thanks for the replys!! Appreciate the input.

I will purchase some of this tape.

Thanks again!

Carlcas

X2 on 4076 RLA!

I used the AT75 stuff before and it works good for layering but doesn't store well after being put onto the decal.

Interesting that you would say this.  I bought the Oracal HT55 app tape and have been using that exclusively on both 631 & 651, both matte and glossy.  I haven't had any problems or complaints.  Have I just been getting lucky?  The next time I need to order app tape I'll give the RTape RLA 4076 a try (I only have had luck with paper tape as well).

I tried using the HT55 one time - by mistake - and it didn't work well for me.   The HT55 is ~20% more expensive than the RTape of an equivalent size...

All tapes have their up sides and down sides. As far as selling to an average customer or someone for retail sale or someone that is looking for the decal to look professional. I have found that i sell them to companies more often than the average person who wants a decal. Depending on the width of the decals sometimes i will use a combination of clear and paper so i don't waste the transfer tape (Meaning that i usually have a smaller width roll of paper tape). The next time that customer orders they usually request them to all be in clear tape. For myself i would prefer paper since it seems to work well on cars, walls, and any application as where a clear tape i have learned that it does not work well when applying decals to walls.

Jeff.

How wide of rolls do you guys use? The 24" is $70!

Seems really high. If you do a lot of 22"+ decals would you use the right app tape width?

Yes.  I make a lot of 20" -22"wide  x a long length vinyl graphics, and use 24" W app tape.  27" decals x a long length  30" W app tape.  I keep 6" 12" 15" 18" 24" and 30"  paper tape in stock at all times. for my jobs.  It is by 300ft  L at most places you purchase.

24" x 300 ft  0.233 cents a ft. 

I went totally paper a while back and for retail I usually cut a dot of the actual color and stick it on a header card. People have less trouble with paper tape especially when they try to wet install.

Hey jaybird, do you use this tape for multi-color decals? I'm getting ready to order more app tape and I see benefits in both clear and paper tapes, but just starting out, don't want to stock two different types of tape in multiple sizes if I can get away with it.

Thanks

Hey jaybird, do you use this tape for multi-color decals? I'm getting ready to order more app tape and I see benefits in both clear and paper tapes, but just starting out, don't want to stock two different types of tape in multiple sizes if I can get away with it.

Thanks

for registration on multi color either use a light table (easy to build) or just add some clear packing tape on the top of the paper tape where the registration marks are

• Like 1

^^^I tried a combination of clear tape with paper tape. The problem I had with that is the paper tape (at least the tape I used) curled up and I ended up with a wrinkled mess. Maybe it was the tape I was using.

Look for paper tape with RLA at the end of the name. This is release liner adhesive and although not specifically made for laying up design it tends to lay flat better than the non RLA.

I use 4075 RLA, instead of the 4076... I find it to be a little less aggressive for wall vinyls and allows easier release when the graphics are going on a textured wall. Just my .02c

4076rla is agressive but I don't do wall art and some of my work is very detailed and it tends to hold the little bits better than 4075.

Hey guys im buying tape tomo,  I need to know whats the best all purpose tape?

I need tape that will work on 651 and 631 it needs to be able to roll up and hold up during shipping 2-5 days and then be easy for customers to apply.

reviews seem to point at 4076 but one guy said it wont roll up good.  I know I wont get the perfect tape, i just need one that does ok at everything for now.  I'll buy some for each job later on. thanks.

You need the right tape for the right vinyl.   This is the tape for Oracal 631.  The vinyl is a matte finish,   not all tapes will stick to it.   Too high of tac tape, the decal will be pulled off the wall with the tape.  Oracal 631 is meant to be removable.

http://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

You need the right tape for the right vinyl.   This is the tape for Oracal 631.  The vinyl is a matte finish,   not all tapes will stick to it.

http://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

I was looking at that, some reviews said it's not sticky enough.  thats why im confused lol everyone has different results. 

On 11/26/2013 at 9:31 PM, Jesse989 said:
I was looking at that, some reviews said it's not sticky enough.  thats why im confused lol everyone has different results. 

I have totally stayed away from wall art using Oracal 631. .  Too many variables  with tapes, walls, paints, textures, buyers with no skills and patience. :rolleyes:     I have still done very well with my business.    But good luck and congratulations to the sellers who are successful with it.  I'm staying away.

I user Main Perfect Tear paper tape for my calendered vinyl. Medium tac.