Sign in to follow this  
Trav

New to vinyl

Hello, new to the forum and to vinyl. Thank you in advance for your patience and answers. I'm thinking about making decals in my spare time and just had a few questions. I'm looking at purchasing a 34" mh series cutter that us cutters has as a package on ebay that come with their software for $315. I have access to illustrator at my work. Can I just use the trace feature to vector an image then save if as a pdf and import it into their software and cut? And in one of the reviews someone said it is just a year free then you have to pay to keep it yearly after, is this correct?

save as .eps - universal for a lot of programs . . . . search and read the mh cutter threads - might think of  upgrading to the sc and also instead of a package get just what you need with oracal vinyl - 1 item you don't need will quickly make the package cost you more.

• Like 1

After looking into it I'm probably going to do an upgraded cutter. That still leaves the fact of the software. Do you have to pay yearly for this? As well is it as easy and just importing a vector traced image?

It comes with Sure Cuts A Lot. .  No yearly fee.  You can actually download it now and try it in the support section on UScutter.com  Trial version.

You can also download and try Signblazer,  which is an unlimited trial version.  No longer in business and is not updated.

The Sure Cuts a Lot Pro (SCALP) software it will come with will allow you to cut the designs you come up with in Illustrator. SCALP as a design software is pretty limited but it works ok as a cutting utility which you will need in order to communicate with the cutter. Most people end up designing elsewhere and if you have Illustrator and know how to use it then you're set. There are other cutting utility options out there too but SCALP is as good of starting place as any. 

I would second Dakota's recommendation to skip the starter kit. There are some stuff in there that's really not that helpful, particularly the rolls of Green Star vinyl. Not that great of stuff and you will find that the colors you need are on a case by case basis with the exception of Black and white and maybe light red. Over time as you pick up work you will accumulate a lot more colors but I made the mistake of buying all kinds of colors many of which are still unopened after 2-1/2 yrs. 

You're going to need a cutting mat at least 24" wide and a straight edge of one sort or other and an exacto knife with a huge stock of replacement blades. some squeeges (buy the good ones from 3M) and some app tape. I stock app tape in several widths and have a mixture of types that I have tried out to see what works best for my work. I like the paper RTape 4075 the best but I also have a 12" roll of the Green Star brand that does ok too. Clear tapes can be tricky but the RTape Clear choice AT60 is a medium tack that I have had good luck with on crafty items that I sell to local ladies. They like to be able to see things better and it come off a little easier for them. In general, paper tape is superior to see through. 

I would second Dakota's recommendation to skip the starter kit. There are some stuff in there that's really not that helpful, particularly the rolls of Green Star vinyl. Not that great of stuff and you will find that the colors you need are on a case by case basis with the exception of Black and white and maybe light red. Over time as you pick up work you will accumulate a lot more colors but I made the mistake of buying all kinds of colors many of which are still unopened after 2-1/2 yrs. 

I bought a starter kit and got the same advice.  The problem is, if you try and build the identical kit, minus the vinyl, you'll pay more.  And I've gone through a ton of vinyl that was wasted while learning.  So I use the crazy, no one really wants colors, to practice on.  And the mostly used the others for family freebies. 

I bought this kit on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Vinyl-Cutter-BUNDLE-Sign-Cutting-Plotter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-/281010926495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d8e739f and even with the shipping cost, I still saved money and hit the ground running.  And I use everything they gave me.  I would buy again.

The Greenstart vinyl that comes with those kits isn't all that great for outdoor use - it's perfect for indoor signs and indoor decals, but it will not hold up long under outdoor conditions.  Sad, but true.

Go ahead and use it up for practice, but don't give it away/sell it to anyone who thinks it's going to be permanent!

I have the SC and it came with the starter kit.  I have already used most of the Greenstar on temporary banners and indoor jobs and replaced it with Oracal.  I actually have a Greenstar decal on my truck that I have had for three years and it looks like the day I put it on. 

I would never use for truck lettering or anything outside, not because I have experience with it but because I hold most members here in high reguard and they advise against it.

I have a SC and did not get any of the greenstar vinyl with it just because i was warned against it. I got a 34" with a stand and it works great. Had a few problems with it but all you have to do is ask on here and someone will direct you in the right way to get it up and running.