Sign in to follow this  
Caseman315

Down Payment?

I suppose this question works for people doing installs and just taking orders and shipping the decals. My question is, when you guys get an order do any of you require a down payment or anything before you get started so they can't back out or anything when you have already finished the work?

If anyone wants to share there start to finish process that would be awesome, for me and other people that may be wondering.

Off topic question as well. Is it ok to do someone else's logo if you use different text?

For example, I read a lot about the Harley Davidson logo on here, if you just wanted Harley Davidson in text on your vehicle or any other name brand company, is it ok to make it or even sell it if you change the text?

i take payment all upfront before i even cut the decal.

ill do up the design with out having the payment first but thats as far as i go

small decals, for friends i will cut and give them to them because i know they pay me later. people I dont know ( general public ) who want decals, yes payment upfront. 

special designs: i will design it and show them, if they are happy, they pay before any cutting begins. 

as for the general public, if you doing say a large order, get atleast 50% down ( or whatever your material costs is ) that way if they do back out your not out much.. and they payed for the materials that YOU get to keep and make more money off of it...

but for the most part, get the money first. once you get someone who has a good rep with ya, ya maybe he can create a trust account with ya if ya know him well enough, but thats up to you.

We call it a "deposit" (non-refundable) and 50% is standard on a sign that I'll be producing and/or installing.

I am face-to-face with the client, and provide them with a job order to sign, which records the total amount of the work, indicates the deposit paid, and how much will be due at completion (including State Sales Taxes).

For stuff that's done long-distance (with shipping a decal) I would assume that full payment up front is typical.

As for the O-T question, the brand name is what they own.

The logo or specialized font/typeface is just a graphic representation that they've created for easier recognition in the marketplace.

But, after all is said and done, they can protect their identity (name) by prohibiting anyone from using it in ways that are not "official"  (i.e. -- not adhering to their rules)

So, the short answer is "no"  ---  you can't change it and then sell it.

Half down on walk ins and anything on line, over the phone, etc payment in full. Copyrights and Trademarks and all the legaleze that go with it are ultra complicated but realistically if you know it by name you probably would be wise not to mess with it, especially H-D. Also the bar and shield logo w/o words or any other way is owned by HD and they have went to court over it.

Half down on large orders unless its for certain people or businesses that I know are good for it without a doubt. If I have ANY doubt in my mind its half down before I start anything. Single decals and stuff, I don t stress over those cause If the person doesnt buy and nobody else buys it, im out like 20 cents. Ive only had that happen a couple times. Now I wont hand something over until Im paid with individuals. Made that mistake with a "friend" before and took almost a month to give me $10. Not a big deal financially, but threw trust out the window.

I also try to never do more then net 7 with larger companies, but again some you have to give in to. I have 1 Ive done a ton of work for, and they pay net 30. It sucks waiting but I do it cause I know they always come to me for ALL sign work and now apparel.....and they pay really well for what they want.

I try to stay away from other companies logos, unless its who Im actually making for. As for words, IMO their just that, words. If you type Honda or Harley or Pontiac, not in anything that resembles their logos, then I dont have an issue with it. I know certain people here will but I dont. Otherwise every single person here could be fined cause each has typed a name somewhere on here. Its all in how you do it IMO.

50% deposit balance on completion most of my work is installed occasionaly someone will want a sign or banner for self install but most are installed on the self install the balance is due on pickup of the product and like slice said state sales tax is added to the total.