Ammastor

Organization How do you do it?

Hey guys.

Quick question for everyone.   How do you all organize your vectors.    I have purchased many vector packs and of course obtained some free ones as well.  I sell roughly 70-100 decals weekly.    I am in the process of speeding up the fulfillment process.  I cut every order to order as I have 104 variations per item on Amazon and only have 250+ decals listed at the moment on Amazon.

I need to speed up this process before the holidays and was wondering how everyone organizes there images and vectors for quick access.

Alphabetical, numbers, or what not.

I know my sku numbers on Amazon.   are made to match each variation for each item.   Example:  A1-RED-12   A for image Red for the Color and 12 for the Size.

How would some of you organize these to make them accessible and able to be pulled into flexi or SB in a timely fashion.

My ultimate goal is to speed up my process.  Which means pick, cut, weed, tape, package, ship.

What would you all recommend?

all my files have names, when someone wants say a In loving memory hunting decal, i have a decal that is named in loving memory hunting decal. 

all my folders are categorized, just go into the main folder, search type in loving memory, all my decals that have "in loving memory" pop up, 

but i do have a folder called " In loving memory" for all those decals. 

every eps/ai file i have i created a jpg preview of the image also so i can see each decal before i attempt to open the file , to save time.

easy,

but ya need to figure a way that works or you the best.  Just make it simple no need to a ton of extra software to find your files. 

My files are numbered 1- 4500+ so all I do is put that # in the item# and instant gratification.

• Like 1

Organa-what?

Really, I try to name everything with a sutable name.

IE. alien head, alien body1, 2 motorcycle, car, whatever. If the first part of the name is part of the catagory a search will find them. to a point.

Don't always work, but it is a start.

Best advice, start at the begining and don't say I will sort them all tomorrow.

I have two folders ......the first one is where the Hell is it and the second is WTF... But i usally manage to find what i am looking for. All my completed jobs are named for the job like daycare if multiple files for the job i do job name 1 or 2 etc.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply guys.   Was just looking to see how others do it.  Curious if anyone did it the way I was or if there was a better way.   I have almost 100k images at the moment and takes for ever sometimes when im looking for something

Funny thing is I never thought about doing a search to find what I was looking for.

Been working on a system.    Thanks for the input guys. 

My commercial work is in named folders. I use the # for generic stuff.

Any job that is finished I always put there name as the start of the file name in a "completed" folder.

I have a very anal-retentive way of organizing all of my files.  Need a unicorn?  Look under clip art/vector clip art/fantasy/creatures/unicorns.   Need a police badge? Look under clip art/vector clip art/occupational/emergency services/police, etc.

I have a separate folder called "My Designs" and under that are "For Customers" and "For Events" - and inside each of those are sub folders specific to the customer's name or the event's name.

When I first started, I was sorting everything into "Free clip art", "Purchased clip art" and then further sorting by publisher, etc. and it became impossible to find anything, so I dumped it all together and started sorting by categories.

For folders like the above mentioned Unicorns, inside you'll find unicorn001.eps, unicorn002.eps., etc. and then in other folders, like the police one, you'll find "squad_car.eps", "handcuffs.eps", etc.

I have a very anal-retentive way of organizing all of my files.  Need a unicorn?  Look under clip art/vector clip art/fantasy/creatures/unicorns.   Need a police badge? Look under clip art/vector clip art/occupational/emergency services/police, etc.

I have a separate folder called "My Designs" and under that are "For Customers" and "For Events" - and inside each of those are sub folders specific to the customer's name or the event's name.

When I first started, I was sorting everything into "Free clip art", "Purchased clip art" and then further sorting by publisher, etc. and it became impossible to find anything, so I dumped it all together and started sorting by categories.

For folders like the above mentioned Unicorns, inside you'll find unicorn001.eps, unicorn002.eps., etc. and then in other folders, like the police one, you'll find "squad_car.eps", "handcuffs.eps", etc.

I am so too lazy for that hence the 1,2,3,4, etc. but I do have categorized 3 ring binders to leaf through quickly.

Organization... (thinking)

What the hell is that i have NONE.  I try to keep it but it never stays that way.. and i spend alot of time trying to find it..  :(

Well i do have it all one one hard drive on my router so i can access all my files from any computer .. but that is not really organization LoL!!!

I wish i could pay someone to number all my files LoL !! and then make a catalog of what i have.. well I'm dreaming but still..

that is my folder LoL .. i know your laughing.. hehe

post-16863-0-85171000-1381039330_thumb.j

I/m not at the store to take a screen shot but my folders go like this: graphics 1-200, graphics 201-400, current files (actually customer files in subfolders a-c, d-f etc.

I broke them into sub folders so my old computer wouldn't take so long to open like 1 large folder.

I wish i could pay someone to number all my files LoL !! and then make a catalog of what i have.. well I'm dreaming but still..

If you have access to ACDSee, Adobe Bridge or a free program like Batch File Renamer you can highlight a group of files and batch rename them to something like "Vehicle Design 001", "Vehicle Design 002", etc...

• Like 1

If you have access to ACDSee, Adobe Bridge or a free program like Batch File Renamer you can highlight a group of files and batch rename them to something like "Vehicle Design 001", "Vehicle Design 002", etc...

I might do this..  :)