julie77

Oracal 631 Wall Decal not sticking to wall

Ive sold thousands of decals using oracal 631 with no issues before.  I have a customer now who is saying the decal will not stick to her wall at all.  She said she painted the wall 6 weeks ago.

Any suggestions on what i should tell her or suggest to her?  I find it hard to believe she prepped the wall and follwed directions if this is the results she is getting.

Do you think i should have to resend her a new decal at no charge ?

any help woudl be appreciated on what to ask her to try, etc..

Did she peel the backing off? Silly question I know but some people really are that dumb.

lol, geez i'm assuming so.  I haven't emailed her back since I don't have a clue what to ask her or say.   I mean really ... how do you say you more than likely did not follow the instructions.   I've read about certain paints it doesn't adhere to as well .. anyone know what kinds of paints these include?

some paints just wont accept vinyl from what others have said - I think the child resistant paint (marker resistant) is worse. hopefully the person that posted before will chime in.  also make sure they aren't puting it on a textured wall,etc

Believe me i know this is hard, I've worked in the paint department at home depot for 5 years. 

people come back ALL the time and say the paint didn't work. 

Pretty much every case was because they were doing something wrong. 

I had this one guy i told him to do light coats and wait a while before doing more then one coats (painting red) 

so tell me why he came back to the store after only 30 minutes with a empty can and said he used it all already on one wall and it didn't work =( honestly people follow directions lol 

lol, I know I deal with dense people day in and day out.  I include very simple, basic and easy to follow instructions will all my orders.  I emailed the lady and asked her what kind of paint she used, if she was sure it had been 6 weeks since she painted and if she prepped the wall after she painted by cleaning it etc..

I also asked for her to send pictures so i can  decide on what the cause may be once i see the pics.   I haven't heard back from her yet, so we shall see what the photos reveal.  I'm starting to wondering if maybe she messed up installing it so she's tryng to get a new one for free.  Oracal 631 is great stuff, and i've applied my fair share and have never had any issues at all...

I'll post the pictures once she sends them

Ive sold thousands of decals using oracal 631 with no issues before.  I have a customer now who is saying the decal will not stick to her wall at all.  She said she painted the wall 6 weeks ago.

Any suggestions on what i should tell her or suggest to her?  I find it hard to believe she prepped the wall and follwed directions if this is the results she is getting.

Do you think i should have to resend her a new decal at no charge ?

any help woudl be appreciated on what to ask her to try, etc..

word of mouth is everything... Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive, it may payoff, to resend her a decal.. If you don't, its automatically something wrong with the decal, and your a bad business person, etc... if you resend, and it fails again, its obviously her walls.. Ask her if her walls look like an Orange..  if there textured, it takes an Enormous amount of patience to apply these to those walls... Chances Are, that is what the problem is.. just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

i find it hard to believe that its not sticking to the wall with oracal 631. it more then likely user error and i would try and maybe get some details before just sending another and them having the same issue they already have

If they are smokers and do not wash their walls on a regular basis the build up would cause this

There are various paints it simply will not stick to. Do not assume it will stick to everything cause it will not. What type of paint? I suggest you getting same type, brand, color and trying for your self. Beyond that you really do not know. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :)  After doing some more research on this, and paints etc.  I did come across this article on VOC "Green" paints.  Apparenlty the Oracal 631 has a hard time bonding to this paint.  It can be done, but it takes more patients.

Here's the link, maybe it will help someone in the future.

https://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/wall-graphics-and-green-paint/

The customer did email me back stating it was 7 weeks ago now that she painted .. said she attached pictures but there was nothing attached to the email.

I definately want to get to the bottom of this, and will post the picts if i ever get them. Definately would like feedback once you guys see the pictures :)

Some of the new paints have either teflon, or silicon in them. It doesn't matter what kind of vinyl it is, it's not gonna stick. Like trying to adhere to a teflon frying pan. Tell her to try scuffing the area with a scotchbrite pad, I've had a few with the same deal, and the scuffing knocked it back enough it would stick.

Some of the new paints have either teflon, or silicon in them. It doesn't matter what kind of vinyl it is, it's not gonna stick. Like trying to adhere to a teflon frying pan. Tell her to try scuffing the area with a scotchbrite pad, I've had a few with the same deal, and the scuffing knocked it back enough it would stick.

use convex LOL  >:D 

If there is a piece of the design that can be easily moved around, or cut off a section, and try sticking it to a different wall in a different room. If nothing else this will help prove to the customer that the vinyl is good and it's the room that is the problem.

Is the decal all one color, or does it consist of multiple colors? If it's multiple colors that aren't sticking, then you can rule out (to the customer at least) that it has anything to do with the vinyl. 

I have also heard that certain paints do not allow the decals to adhere to, but I have also sold thousands and have maybe had 2, 3 at tops, customers, who claimed the decals would not stick. I tried and tried to get to the bottom of it, but I felt like there was more to the story that they weren't telling me. The one customer claimed they used lowes valspar eggshell, but I knew it wasn't that because I've also used that same exact paint with no issues. I had a feeling they tried to wet the decals maybe, it's the only thing that in my mind, made sense to them not sticking. 

Make sure you get pics from them. You then have a couple options. You could recommend they try re-positional spray adhesive on the back of them to help stick. Likely they won't have that laying around and find it inconvenient they have to go buy it to stick it when it should already stick. Or you can have them return the item, send a refund or replacement and try again. I know it's annoying as heck when you can't figure out what they did wrong or why it won't stick, but just be glad you can sell so many all the time with no issues. Good luck and be sure to let us know if you figure it out! 

Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive, it may payoff, to resend her a decal..

I'm just curious, what do you find to be a better brand, and why? I've only sell Oracle and I claim that I use the best vinyl in the industry (because I really feel that it is, especially for the price) but I am curious if there's something better out there. I know there are other brands but haven't tried any personally 

I'm just curious, what do you find to be a better brand, and why? I've only sell Oracle and I claim that I use the best vinyl in the industry (because I really feel that it is, especially for the price) but I am curious if there's something better out there. I know there are other brands but haven't tried any personally 

I do not Not believe I said there was a Better Brand..  I said Inexpensive.. I Only use Oracle as well.. I refuse to use anything But, Oracle.. With that being said... 631, is hand down CHEAP.. I pay like 11 bucks a ROLL  for 15 inch, and 23 a ROLL for 24 inch.. that would explain my comment "....Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive...." (being she Linked to SIGNWAREHOUSE, she is more then likely paying the same as I pay for my vinyl, as I have used them as a supplier for years)

There is No Better Brand Then Oracle.. I never Claimed There Was, Nor Did I Imply, There was a Better Brand.. I didn't say, "Hey, since your using such cheap knock off vinyl, why don't you just send her another one for free"..

Your Words.....  (because I really feel that it is, especially for the price)......... <---- Key Word.... PRICE...

"word of mouth is everything... Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive, it may payoff, to resend her a decal.. If you don't, its automatically something wrong with the decal, and your a bad business person, etc... if you resend, and it fails again, its obviously her walls.. Ask her if her walls look like an Orange..  if there textured, it takes an Enormous amount of patience to apply these to those walls... Chances Are, that is what the problem is.. just my 2 cents.."

• Like 1

I do not Not believe I said there was a Better Brand..  I said Inexpensive.. I Only use Oracle as well.. I refuse to use anything But, Oracle.. With that being said... 631, is hand down CHEAP.. I pay like 11 bucks a ROLL  for 15 inch, and 23 a ROLL for 24 inch.. that would explain my comment "....Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive...." (being she Linked to SIGNWAREHOUSE, she is more then likely paying the same as I pay for my vinyl, as I have used them as a supplier for years)

There is No Better Brand Then Oracle.. I never Claimed There Was, Nor Did I Imply, There was a Better Brand.. I didn't say, "Hey, since your using such cheap knock off vinyl, why don't you just send her another one for free"..

Your Words.....  (because I really feel that it is, especially for the price)......... <---- Key Word.... PRICE...

"word of mouth is everything... Being this is Oracle 631, and is very inexpensive, it may payoff, to resend her a decal.. If you don't, its automatically something wrong with the decal, and your a bad business person, etc... if you resend, and it fails again, its obviously her walls.. Ask her if her walls look like an Orange..  if there textured, it takes an Enormous amount of patience to apply these to those walls... Chances Are, that is what the problem is.. just my 2 cents.."

ahem.... Oracle makes database applications and Java...  Oracal makes vinyl...   >:D

Sorry, pet peeve...