mrmullin

Adding text, but it appears BEHIND a layer

Hi. I did Object-Arrange and also released all the Clipping Masks. I'd like text to appear ON the scroll.

I did not create the image (obviously?) - Artist is out of town. Thought I might get the surely imple answer here.

Thanks!

post-69739-0-22062800-1380564797_thumb.p

Hi. I did Object-Arrange and also released all the Clipping Masks. I'd like text to appear ON the scroll.

I did not create the image (obviously?) - Artist is out of town. Thought I might get the surely imple answer here.

Thanks!

Move layer 5 above layer 3

cool - thanks! I read up a bit on layers, then retyped the text, and it miraculously came out on top.

Bizarre, but thank you - in my learning, it's clear your solution was correct. 

Mm

Anytime you add something new it goes onto the top of the stack. As ddaley said you can just grab the item in the layers panel and drag it up or down and drop it where you would rather have it. Or there are keyboard shortcuts to do the same. (command on mac or ctrl on pc combined with [ or ] lower or raise the selected item. (also available in a pull down menu)

With all of our work on a single layer, we don’t have many options if we want to change something. We could undo our way back through the steps to get to the point where we can make our change, or we could scrap the whole thing and start over again.

This is an old post Patrick. Illustrator will still layer within a single layer. Everything is still ordered and you can move things from within the stack any time you need to regardless of whether it is technically on a separate layer or not. Just grab it and drag it up or down or use the command] or command[ (control[ on pc) to move things.