Sign in to follow this  
wshealey

Cutting Depth Irractic on FC7000mk2-75

New to the forums and hope this hasn't been discussed already. I tried to search but couldn't find anything similar. I have an FC7000mk2-75 and out of the blue it begins to change cutting depth in the middle of a job. It starts out cutting normally and gradually gets deeper, eventually cutting through the backing. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? The cutter is a couple years old and hasn't had any issues. We are using Cutting Master and Illustrator CS2. Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Not sure what causes that but I can tell you the fact that your blade can cut through the backing means you have too much blade exposed to start with. Do a search or wait a few minutes and I'd bet Mzskeeter will come by and he has a very good explanation of setting the blade and also how to reset your cutter to factory default which may help.

How does your cutting strip look?  Is is free of gouges and bumps?  Is is down all the way across.   Does this happen the same place on the cutting strip?    Have you tried to reset to factory default?   While turning cutter power  on,  Hold down on the UP arrow.   I have this very same machine. 

How to set your blade correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. 

Thanks for the quick replies. The first thing I checked was the cutting strip but it seemed to be in good shape. I think I'll try the factory reset and see if that makes a difference. It's strange because it only seems to happen on larger jobs and it's almost like it gradually increases its force throughout the cut.

Finally got to take a look at this and am still scratching my head. I did the factory reset, checked the blades and cleaned the cutting strip without any luck. It seems to be sporadic, almost like the plotter is applying additional force as it goes across but returning to normal depth once it begins the next row.