gcextreme

Creative Tools of the Trade

I ordered 2 of them :)

I think you'll really like them.

Here is a set to stay away from - got them and stuck em in the printer - thought it was the cats meow - until a week later when the adhesive let go and dropped it down in front of the carriage . . . . . Now they sit on the desk unused - don't trust em  GEWirelessLightBar2Pk.jpg

How about trying some adhesive backed Velcro or some automotive emblem tape.  It's used to adhere the trim to a car and  holds very well.

double sided carpet tape would work really well, so long as you don't want to remove them. That stuff does not want to let go when it's put on smooth flat surfaces.

• Like 1

not sure if it was the heat or what but never going to risk it again - that crash is nothing you ever want to hear . . . .flashlight is good until someday I get ambitious and mount let strip in there

If you want something that will hold strong and not let go until you want it to, try rare earth magnets.  I just got an order in from these guys and at checkout I requested the free magnetic pen and free sample set of 16 small magnets, along with my order, and they're both fun to play with.   I ordered a pack of 6 of these 1" x 1/8" disc magnets to hold some banners on my truck for a stationary display.  Each magnet has over 49 lbs of pull strength when placed on a flat, ferrous surface.

If you've not handled rare earth magnets, you'll probably be very surprised at how strong and how much range they have - they're nothing like your typical refrigerator magnet - these will bite if you get your fingers between them!

Tennis ball for slightly (or heavily) textured surfaces such as interior walls.  Roll it around to apply pressure and add blow dryer heat to it if the texture is large.

For weeding, I only use an X-acto (retractable, rubber grips), but when I put a fresh blade in it, I stab it into my cutting mat several times to get the very tip off, otherwise it slices into the backer paper before you even know it.

For doing around rivets, I squeegee in and use a standard Bic lighter to warm (not burn, be careful, I've done that too) the edges and squeegee in radially.

If you do shirts, keep plenty of neoprene mousepads around to cut to shape if you need to raise an area to avoid a seam, for instance.

i just use a letter opener to cut the vinyl off the roll after cutting. run the bottom plastic point in the groove on the cutter apron and swipe it across. 

Plastic-Letter-Opener.jpg

• Like 3

I used to need flashlights and never enjoyed trying to find where the vinyl cut ended.  Thank goodness I found a setting in the software that now advances the last cut forward, right to the cutting strip.  

• Like 3

i just use a letter opener to cut the vinyl off the roll after cutting. run the bottom plastic point in the groove on the cutter apron and swipe it across. 

Plastic-Letter-Opener.jpg

Funny thing about my Summa, It actually came with a special cutter basically the same as the letter openers above and you can change out the blade, it uses just good old fashioned razors like your dad used to use before the disposables. There is a specific grove built into the machine to slide it in. I laughed when I first saw it because I had been doing the same basic thing with the P-Cut and letter openers. I though I was some smart genius who had come up with the idea but I guess it has occurred to many many people before me. LOL

Funny thing about my Summa, It actually came with a special cutter basically the same as the letter openers above and you can change out the blade, it uses just good old fashioned razors like your dad used to use before the disposables. There is a specific grove built into the machine to slide it in. I laughed when I first saw it because I had been doing the same basic thing with the P-Cut and letter openers. I though I was some smart genius who had come up with the idea but I guess it has occurred to many many people before me. LOL

Mine came with the same one.  it works great and leaves no scratches on the cutter.

post-24657-0-90461800-1384556555_thumb.j

• Like 1

GC....OMG your shop looks amazing!!!

Lol not my shop..just the plant i work at.

The fancy machine you see there is one that packages 40lb blocks of cheese, i built alot of it and ran all the pneumatic systems..

So, basically what you are saying, GCextreme, is that you cut the cheese.

Lol not really.

I work for a company that builds custom automated packaging machines.

We build machines that package cheese, butter, pizzas, ceral, garnola bars, eggo waffles, poptarts, soaps, microwave popcorn, etc.

That's awesome.  

Looks pretty sturdy.

You should market it!

Yeah lol... its just 3 pieces of aluminum welded together with a closet rod hanger..lol

Another trick I have learned is that if you are layering smaller vinyl and need it to be perfect you can pull the transfer and vinyl off the backing and lay it on a piece of parchment paper which is nearly see through and then get it right where you want it. I usually leave a little hanging off one end and once I get it where I like it I tape that end down and slip out the parchment for perfect alignment. I use this with or without registration marks but mostly on smaller >14" designs. 

• Like 2

If you have to ask the price you can't afford it. That being said I want one.