Sign in to follow this  
TandysGraphics

Wavy/jagged cuts on GX-24

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a second hand gx-24 from craigslist hoping to replace my uscutter sc, but only been having problems.

Off the bat, the USB port was broken (maybe fixable if I try to solder on a new usb connector port on the main board), so I've been using a keyspan + null serial cable to cut from the machine.

It cuts great and all, but the only issue is that I am getting occasional wavy or jagged-y cuts when it is doing lines (horizontal, diagonal, vertical).

I tried using a new clean cut blade, new blade holder, replace cutting strip, and same issue. Also tried oiling the blade holder bearing and na-da.

My Uscutter SC cuts the same design perfect, I even tried the blade holder from that and same issue. I am totally lost to what the issue could be.

I am using SCALP to cut using uscutter as my default plotter settings as the gx-24 setting in SCALP only detects USB. Also tried roland's cut studio and same issue.

Also another issue is that I would hardly need any pressure on the uscutter sc (like 40) while on the gx I need about 70-80 with the same blade holder and depth. Normal? I am running the same speed on both machines, 200mm/s.

Any ideas?

Speed and pressure numbers are relative. Does the gx look to be cutting at a comparable speed as the sc. If not try slowing the speed to determine if that is the problem.

The serial connection on the gx is a 25pin serial cable, so I had to get a 25pin to 9pin cable which would connect to the keyspan.

I'll try slowing the speed down and seeing if it helps at all. I already tried resetting to factory default.

It honestly looks like the blade isn't spinning freely in the holder and is kind of 'dragging' or something. I tried multiple holders and blades but I don't know. No matter how much I have the blade out, I need to use at least 60g pressure for a clean cut, could be a bad downforce solenoid?

Yes, it even happens on weeding lines.

Here check this out, not sure if you can see it.

This entire long weeding line came out wavy looking like this while the other one on top (not pictured) came out nice a straight which is why I am so confused why it isnt consistently happening to all lines.

http://i.imgur.com/QvB5dG1.jpg

Been doing some researching and could it be static build up?

wow and it happens in both directions - horizontal and vertical?

also how is the cutting strip?

Yes, it happens in both directions.

I replaced the cutting strip a few day ago, I ran my finger over it and didn't feel any weird bumps as I removed all the old adhesive. Although I replaced it with an ebay strip, so maybe i'll try ordering a genuine roland strip.

usc has the genuine strips you can add to any order for the same shipping.  just got one for my sp-300 and it was shipped direct from roland

I seem to have the wavy-ness to a minimal now after fiddling a lot with pressure, blade exposure, and offset.

I am starting to suspect it is the ebay cutting strip I used to replace the one on the machine because looking at the light scoring on the paper backing of the vinyl, I am noticing during a test cut, any wavy areas have a --- -- -- --- -- effect on the paper backing (it isn't one smooth line).

I ordered a genuine cutting strip directly from the roland site yesterday, hopefully that is the problem.

Update,

New cutting strip helped a bit, but not much.

Quick question, what is the "RIGHT" way of adjusting how much blade exposure?

1/2 thickness of a credit card?

or adjusting it out so it will cut the vinyl and leave a slight score on the paper by hand then just up the pressure on the machine until you get the same effect?

I noticed the first method would give me slight wavy cuts at times and requires about 90g to cut good, while the second method cuts perfect, but requires me to use 210g force and will scratch the vinyl if there is some contaminate on it.

edit: using oracal 651 and a new clean cut regular roland blade, 60 degrees as I heard it is better for cutting lots of small details (1/4" or smaller details)

The second way is correct, the credit card myth will give you WAY TOO MUCH blade sticking out.

you adjust your blade like this

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

you adjust your blade like this

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

That's what I did, and I need about 200g to even get it to cut and easly weed. If I had it on 100g, it wold barely mark the vinyl and not even cut through it.

I just find it strange that the machine needs so much pressure to cut, the roland gx maxes out at 250g.

Did you see this cutter in action before you purchased it?  If so, how was it cutting then?

I only saw test cuts, I did bring my laptop and a usb cable only to find out the usb port was broken.

I guess I am going to sell this machine and just take a loss, lesson learned, not sure what else to do.

I see another one on craigslist right now, so I might check that out, just not sure if I want to go through this whole experience of buying used to find out problems again...

If it cuts fine at 200 what's the problem. It's just a number and as long as the results are satisfactory and it doesn't require more and more force over time I don't see it even being an issue.

I have  copom 3050 and it does the same exact thing, it was working fine for a while and then all of a sudden on straight lines it seems like the blade isn't turning around on some cuts and its "dragging" threw the vinyl making jagged lines. 

I have  copom 3050 and it does the same exact thing, it was working fine for a while and then all of a sudden on straight lines it seems like the blade isn't turning around on some cuts and its "dragging" threw the vinyl making jagged lines. 

did you clean out the blade holder, add a drop or 3 in 1 oil so the blade rotates freely and even try a new blade?

did you clean out the blade holder, add a drop or 3 in 1 oil so the blade rotates freely and even try a new blade?

Yeah i just did that last night, i put a few drops of WD40 in there, hopefully this helps my problem. 

I wanted to ask how often do you think i should change my blade?

I use my machine every day anywhere from 10-20 decals a day if i don't have any projects going on which seems like never lol 

if it is a chinese blade about ever 2-4 weeks  if cleancut about 10-12 months.  really depends on what the blade is made of - the cleancut uses a fine grained carbide that is much tougher and holds an edge longer

if it is a chinese blade about ever 2-4 weeks  if cleancut about 10-12 months.  really depends on what the blade is made of - the cleancut uses a fine grained carbide that is much tougher and holds an edge longer

Oh damn lol, I got my blade like in october and i still haven't changed it yet. 

Its the blade that came with my Copam Plotter. 

…. i should get on ordering a new one probably lol