Crazybry79

Remedial question? Bumper stickers / warning labels

I've been operating with a Refine 851 for quite awhile, but I get the occational order for a very small decal, warning label, or multi color bumper sticker.

Do they make a small printer capable of printing on vinyl without spending 10k on a printer that's big enough to wrap a semi trailer with a half of a sheet..

I have a follow up question for some of you guys with printers: Do you have to print regularly or run cleaning cycles on these things to keep them from clogging? I have considered a printer at some point too but I don't want to be the guy that feels he HAS to print everything he can just to keep the machine working. I get a LOT of vinyl work because most of the local shops push the prints so much harder than the cut vinyl that it gives me room to come in under them and still make good money. I have to farm out any print work that I need but my overhead is next to nothing and I like it that way.

Research that machine model. If memory serves it is super expensive to print with and getting hard to find consumables for. A quick google search tell for sure.

I have a follow up question for some of you guys with printers: Do you have to print regularly or run cleaning cycles on these things to keep them from clogging? I have considered a printer at some point too but I don't want to be the guy that feels he HAS to print everything he can just to keep the machine working. I get a LOT of vinyl work because most of the local shops push the prints so much harder than the cut vinyl that it gives me room to come in under them and still make good money. I have to farm out any print work that I need but my overhead is next to nothing and I like it that way.

The newer machines turn themselves on 3-4 times a day and run cleaning cycles to help stop head clogs - from personal experience it works pretty good cut you still get more clogs than if it is prints almost daily.

The print heads on these are famous for going out and the last thing I read on signs101 is the heads are no longer available even from roland

Mhmm...exactly what I'm looking for...just a lil to close to that 10k mark...

The only way you are going to get substantially less is to carefully buy used and make sure you have good heads to start with or go pigment on special material with lam on everything - cost per sq ft is much more but initial investment is much less - longevity is sacrificed also.  water based inks were never made to be used outside that is whyt there is solvent and latex for outside (oh and thermal like above)

Option #3 which is how I do bumper stickers: DyeSub on a material like Mates http://www.bestblanks.com/rowmark.html#649 or MultiCal http://www.laserreproductions.com/Sublimation-Decals.html The Mates is thicker but I switched to MultiCal a while back and have been happy with the results. I have some decals that have been out for close to 3 years w/o major degradation.

• Like 1

This was done on Mates. 

I had always heard that dye sublimation faded rather quickly in direct sunlight, so I've never even tried to do any outdoor stuff.... I need to re-think that plan...

Ever done dyesub license plates? I've got some out there 2 or 3 years now with just a little fading. I buy it 50' at a time so it comes out at $1 a sqf plus ink. I get $3 for a 3x5 bumper sticker and get 8 on to a square ft. As far as ink costs that's kind of hard to quantify but probably around 50 cents.

• Like 1

On the bigger stuff it's easier and cheaper for me to order from Scott (dakotagrafx) but for small decals on the spot w/o a $10,000 budget this is the best way I can think of.

Huh... I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the dye sub garden flags weren't meant for long term use, and I'd seen someone else ask about ceramic tiles outdoors (for a grave marker) and someone said that it wouldn't last long - I never bothered to try it out myself.

Good to know that someone did try and it survived!

I have done a couple grave markers but told them I had no idea of the durability in that application. So far I haven't heard anything bad and it's been a while. That is the first time I have seen anybody do any kind of real world testing with any of the products we use on a a daily basis. Even Oracal and other companies only offer lab results.