joker

constructive criticism

Okay I had a coworker asked me to day if i could cut his name with 2 colors. I said sure how big would you want it to be. He stated 1.25 inches tall and 8 inches wide. So i replied sure no problem. Being that i have not done alot of 2 layer work i was a little nervous. I also told him that the price would be 8.00 dollars due to having to use more vinyl. Would that be to high? Here is the final product. Please let me know what i could have done better. Thanks. This is in a font called Always In my heart. The d and the y outlined just the way it looks.

post-35399-0-00783600-1378942172_thumb.j

I dont care for red and black together I prefer black and yellow, red and white, light blue and black etc. of course the color of the substrate dictates the color also. If it is going on glass especially tinted glas dark colors will no show up as well .

I agree with that Mabscott i do not like the black and red but it is what he wanted.

Looks good Joker, as stated above the darker colors are draw back, but that being said. You gave your customer what he asked for and therefor you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

I agree with that Mabscott i do not like the black and red but it is what he wanted.

That is all that matters. I have a banner in my office that says the customer is always right.

That is all that matters. I have a banner in my office that says the customer is always right.

you do keep that hidden - right?

• Like 1

Y'all have seem some of the "work" I do. Customer is always right as long as their money is green.

• Like 1

Agreed, red and black always seem to clash together. But I don't know why, it seems to be a popular combo with my customers. As for the $8, ehhh it may be a buck or two high but that will differ with each person. Your layering looks good!

• Like 1

While I think the black and red looks GREAT....depending on what he puts it on will determine how it really looks.

I typically charge $1 per inch on the longest side...And actually charged around 10 bucks since I would have had to use 2 colors.

I always have a terrible time layering...no matter what I do...I end up with a least 1 or 2 air bubbles somewhere.

• Like 1

A small bubble is easily remedied with the point of a single edge razor blade. Almost invisible when done.

This Burnishing Tool with Needle is my favorite bubble removal tool.  I use it to pierce the side of the bubble, vs poking the center from the top side - I find it's easier to squeeze the last bit of air out when it's pierced on the side, just press from the opposite side and it disappears...

Looks good to me, but I don't do multi-layer work (just an airbrusher). Curious when you do that, do you put the black on top of the red so it is two layers thick, or has the red been 'punched out' first?

This Burnishing Tool with Needle is my favorite bubble removal tool.  I use it to pierce the side of the bubble, vs poking the center from the top side - I find it's easier to squeeze the last bit of air out when it's pierced on the side, just press from the opposite side and it disappears...

I have one of those from my kit, still havent found a way to use it. May try your idea lol

When the red was contoured around the black, the a,y.& d lost their inner shape; that happens. Honestly it looks good...so don't beat yourself up over it; but you did ask what you could have done better. You probably could have either opened these letters up to match the black or closed the holes entirely.

When I cut sumthang simple the first time for a coworker, I usually do it slightly cheaper than I should to install in their mind that they got a really good deal....it goes a long way in getting repeat business from them or another coworker they in turn guide to me by virtue of their bragging. ; )

Walking around our workplace the other day, it finally dawned on me how much I had actually cut for others out of the pure pleasure of doing it......but that's not to say I didn't also profit. 

WoooHoooo look at that, it's my 500th post; what did I win?

Price is about right. 8+1/2= $4.50X2 decals=$9 is how I'd price it. Colors would depend where it's going and customer's request.

you do keep that hidden - right?

No it makes them feel important and they all are important (to my bank account ) The local larger or largest sing company in our town has lost several jobs by telling the customer oh that is an afwul design and try to change their mind about what they want

I had went on a proposal with him to price the installation And he would not price it the way they wanted the faces of the lighted sign. He did not get the job and lost out on a lucatrive job. And they did get the design they wanted.

• Like 1

it never matters what you think of there designs, its what they want, they pay you, you give them, they are happy and so are you. 

i never try to tell them something different about there design, unless they ask me, "What do you think i should do" then its on like donkey kong!! 

most of the time they like it. but ya always have that 1 person, that ya can NEVER make happy. the ones that NIT PIK. ( like us ) :D