Sign in to follow this  
knockonwood

I need help to turn a logo into Victor for my scalp

I love the old time sign painters work and even some of the new fangled stuff - it isn't a secret I have a crush on this guys work  http://imaginationcorporation.com/'>http://imaginationcorporation.com/

I have seen Dans work...nice name.....in sign craft mag or maybe signs of the times he does some fantastic work. The old fellow that lived next door he died 7 or 8 years ago. He had started as a grunt in a sign shop amd mastered all aspects of the trade and later went on to start his own sign business. That is the same with myself and the construction trade I was eager to learn and worked with all trades and became very proficent in them when I dropped out of high school at age 15 and started to work my father ( a carpenter ) told me boy if you dont have an education you better be damn good at whatever you do or you wont keep a job. I may have been out of work for two months total in the last 50 years. Actualy as I was writing this post I got a call from a business that their backlighted sign was not lighting so another service order on the board. I watched the old fellow letter a couple trucks and he would start a letter with a swoop then fill it all in it was quite interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Where were you looking that S&H was crazy?  I order most of my shirts from www.jiffyshirts.com and I think I've always had free shipping - I usually order at least $50-75 worth of shirts at time, which probably has something to do with it...

Jay I think he was saying his dad paid high S&H from vista plus couldn't get the individualized names on the shirts.

Knockonwood - I think you will have a great time with your press. When I was buying my initial set-up my wife convinced me to go ahead and get a press to play around with even if it was just for my own kids. Well after having the press I have been amazed at the percentage of work I have drummed up doing custom shirts. I never realized the market that was sitting there. Jiffyshirts is a great place to get shirts, they have cheap fast shipping and pretty good prices and a lot of variety. There are other options out there too. Statononlne and Sanmar to name two but jiffy has nice minimal or free shipping which equals the playing field on small orders.

When I started doing shirts and hats they were at most 5% of my business. Now that we are known for them it is more like 80%. There is money to be made in apparel for sure.

When buying from a wholesale supplier your generally expected to buy more then 10 shirts (just assuming roughly $3 a shirt and a $30 order) so that is how they justify their shipping. Was possibly a min shipping fee. Alot of wholesale places wont even sell small quantities of items. Uline is 1 when I was looking for large foam core for some signs per request, min order was 25 pcs. Just remember a wholesale place is not set up for onesy twosy orders

• Like 3

I made my first t-shirt for my dads painting company. The T-shirts are for his painters. I bought five medium, five large and five extra-large T-shirts from jiffy.com. I did not know this at the time but they are in Georgia not far from me and it only took one day to ship. I also got a couple nice shirts because I had to spent $50 to get free shipping. The siser easy weed was much easier to work with then oracal vinyl. I did have some trouble with the small letters for the front but I think it is okay. I also forgot to cut it in reverse the first couple times. But I think I might get the T-shirt business it was fun to do. I only bought the 12" x 9" heat press because I do not have very much money to spend I wish I bought the 15" x 15"

post-37403-0-46466100-1379189994_thumb.j

post-37403-0-98888000-1379190001_thumb.j

Why is it when I post pictures on here sometimes there sideways, sometimes they're upside down and sometimes they're perfect.

They look great Knock . . . . when you save up here is a 15" at a great price with free shipping  http://sunie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=1fgmv9qgmr7qdkjr33iu5p86b7

If I ever get into heatpress work, I believe that a swing-away press is the preferable option.

Am I wrong?

you are absolutely correct slice but for a budget press the clam above is a good cheap way to get into it - but if money is no object or you find a deal a hotronix or knight swing away is the best way to go - it is really hard to find a budget swing away with over the center pressure adjustment and a even heating platen

you are absolutely correct slice but for a budget press the clam above is a good cheap way to get into it - but if money is no object or you find a deal a hotronix or knight swing away is the best way to go - it is really hard to find a budget swing away with over the center pressure adjustment and a even heating platen

this is the one i got..

https://www.signsplusbanners.com/itemdetail.php?sku=JP14&p=Garment+Application&c=Cutters%2C+Heat+Presses%2C+Software&s=Heat+Presses+%26+Accessories

and it works perfect i also have this one http://sunie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=1fgmv9qgmr7qdkjr33iu5p86b7

2 of them lol

and this place is only 20 miles from my house so i just had to go down and get it .. :)

I <3 living in a big city lol

I'm glad http://www.sanmar.com/  is local to my area i just go down there and pick up my shirts  :)

They aren't that close to me but if I order in the am I get them next day and don't have to drive anywhere. ;D

How much would you guys charge for a logo front and back on T-shirts the T-shirts cost me about $2.50 and my dad is going to be a repeat customer.  Remember it is going to be two different colors red and black. Does anybody know where I can get siser easeyweed cheaper than it is on US cutters it looks kind of expensive to me. And 5 yards did not go very long. I messed up about the first four or 5 feet of the vinyl but I learned from my mistakes and will not messed up in the future.

They aren't that close to me but if I order in the am I get them next day and don't have to drive anywhere. ;D

i don't have to pay shipping .. It's all good  :)

I doubt you'll ever find supplies cheaper than Uscutter. That is how they have stayed in business, they're the Walmart of sign supplies. As for cost you'll learn quickly to do efficient layouts for cutting and save scraps for pocket logos, hats, etc.

I wish http://www.fellerscertified.com had siser easeyweed their warehouse is like 15 minutes me. My dad asked me to do some jackets hoodies for his painters. I can't find any videos on how to do a jacket with a zipper. Can someone give me some advice. Do I just cut it in half and do I need a Heat Printing Pillow that us cutter has?

If you split it and do 1 side at a time you may be able to lay zipper bump off the side of the press. Also watch for plastic zippers and heat, they don't always work well together.