kenfedh

copam startup - too much pressure?

Hello,

Been using laserpoint for a few years.  works great.

Just got a backup , overflow work, copam.

Got it set up with the installed usb cable.  usual
trial and error - working.

However, can't get a clean cut.

using heat film shirt vinyl.

blade barely poking out.

pressure dialed all the way to 20g, speed 40, offset .25.

it's still going through the vinyl and backing - tearing it up.

I've powered the copam on/off.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Ken

You should set up your blade like this:

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

Like Skeet said !!! I suggest searching " Ken Imes " posts . He was USCutter in 2007 when I bought 2 Copams ( still doing GREAT ) . He suggested using around 200 grams of pressure which is way more than most suggest on this forum . BannerJohn also uses alot of pressure as do I . The bottom of my blade holder is polished and leaves marks on white vinyl sometimes, but the cuts are perfect .

Less blade more pressure. The only way to ensure clean cuts w/o all the issues you read about on the forum.

actually the montra of more pressure less blade was pushed by Jerry from sighblazer before he passed - Ken said it a lot back then also - has always held true till the famous incorrect 1/2 credit card debacle came about LOL

Thanks for the help.

Exposed portion of the laserpoint wasn't very precise.

Credit card thickness, give or take, dialed in the pressure.

With this copam.   Did the suggested manual test,

cuts vinyl, not carrier.   Blade is barely, barely showing.

Pressure set at the mininum, 20g, still pulls and pushes the vinyl around.

Take the same blade, put in the laserpoint, cuts fine.

It's like the pressure setting is being ignored.

Perplexed.

curious - Rodger had his pressure rollers break on his copam - that would cause the the vinyl to slide around - If I remember correctly it was cracks in the roller holders

Blade pressure will not drag your vinyl around and if you are capable of cutting through the backing it is too much blade period.Take out the holder and cut scrap vinyl on your desk until you cut the vinyl but barely leave an impression in the backing. Reinstall the holder and adjust the pressure until you get the same results. Forget anything you ever heard about a credit card to check, that method is completely and utterly wrong.

• Like 1

Make sure you are pinching the vinyl over the exposed part of the grit roller . There are green stickers above the exposed part of the grit roller .

• Like 1