karkess

Which way to go?

Next question.  Software?  I know everyone has their preferences and I'm not new to design software, I know my way around Photoshop and have Illustrator, but, and this might be a loaded question, what is the hands down the best, easiest to use and most powerful software?  Hope this doesn't cause virtual fist fights.  Kind of like asking who's got the best dog or car.

You may want to try signblazer it is free and is a good software but without support or updates. It is easy to use most cutters from us cutter comes with sure cuts a lot pro actualy it is a hobby type cutter software with a few upgrades and labeled PRO. you can buy flexi starter for any where from 100.00 to 400.00 also there are softwares like win pc sign etc. but I would start with the free and go from there.

Does Illustrator CS6 support cutting?  I've been playing with the trial version of Cuts a lot and downloaded Signblazer, but I think I got an old version of that, because it looks like Windows 3.1 style icons.  Also does signblazer support the 34" SC?

Illustrator does not cut,  only with a plug in, for higher end cutters, like Graphtec and Roland.   I think you can use it with a plugin also for Signcut software.

Signblazer is old software, has not been updated for many years since owner passed away, you have to save your files as version  8.eps files to import into Signblazer.

Can't remember for sure, but I think if you download the ALL CUTTER UK version of Signblazer, it has the Liyu cutter on it, which is the brand name for the SC cutter.

^^^Thanks.  I'm going to have to play around a bit and find what works best.  I do like the interface for Cuts a lot, it just seems to lack some functionality that I'd like to see, but it comes with the cutter, so that most likely will be my starting point.  Might try Corel down the road, seems to be more on par with Illustrator.

Some of the people who started out with Signblazer and Sure Cuts alot have opted to purchase Flexistarter10 cutting software.  It is great cutting software. Limited on design.   I have been using it for years.   It can import a lot more different file formats than other cutting software, and you own it.  Can be had for about $130  and less, on EBAY.  Best to get the version with the USB dongle.  Someone offers cloud.  That is why I say get the dongle version.

Flexistarter10 also has it's own contour cutting program in it.  You don't need a laser to contour cut. You can make most any vinyl cutter a contour cutting vinyl cutter, with Flexistarter 10.  The program measures from the blade in the middle of the registration marks.

One more quick question.  Is there any way to protect your work from being copied?  I have an idea that I've not seen anywhere and I'm sure if I keep it local it'll stay mine for a while.  But as soon as it gets online, it's all over.

I was looking on craigslist today and saw this ad: http://annarbor.craigslist.org/bfs/4102298863.html Can anyone Identify this cutter?  And if so is it better than the SC cutter?  I'm ordering a vinyl cutter this week and for a $100...

Oh!  And what about this one? http://flint.craigslist.org/bar/4075328553.html It's more than I want to spend on a cutter right now, but if it's a great deal, I'd splurge a bit.

I was looking on craigslist today and saw this ad: http://annarbor.craigslist.org/bfs/4102298863.html Can anyone Identify this cutter?  And if so is it better than the SC cutter?  I'm ordering a vinyl cutter this week and for a $100...

Oh!  And what about this one? http://flint.craigslist.org/bar/4075328553.html It's more than I want to spend on a cutter right now, but if it's a great deal, I'd splurge a bit.

The first one appears to be the MH 871 model.

The second one is 48" wide, and you are correct, it's probably more than you need.

The first one appears to be the MH 871 model.

The second one is 48" wide, and you are correct, it's probably more than you need.

I don't mind more than I need, cause who knows...Someday?  But will it do a better job than a UScutter SC series?  Meaning, I can still run smaller vinyl and cut small and detailed...Right?  It will also cut window film too?  I am so lost here.

I have a Summa but a different model. That T1010 was produced from 1993 to 1996. From what I saw online you can still get parts for it. If you are considering going for it I would recommend calling Summa and asking for some details on the machine. They have lifetime free tech support so you can just call and say Hi and actually get some good advice. If I am not mistaken this is probably a tangential cutter which would be sweet. 48" is going to be at least 5ft wide so you would need some space to set it up. You will want to ask the Summa tech about cutting software for the Summa. 

Also you asked earlier about what design program you should use. If you already own Illustrator then invest a little time to learn it and you will be set for life. Complicated to learn but once you get it down you look back and wonder why it seemed so hard. You are going to have a learning curve with any software anyway so make your time spent worth it. You will need a cutting program if you go with Illustrator, inkscape or Corel. I suggest SignCut Pro. You can get a free demo and then get a subscription if you want in about any size increment that fits your budget. 

I contacted the seller to see if it had any extras included and he said it was just the cutter.  Now looking online at the cost of blades and other things for this machine, the prices are high, but I have no idea what I'd need right out of the gate.  I don't mind spending the extra money, if it means I don't have to spend more later to upgrade.  I'm going to take Wildgoose's advice and call summa and see what they say about the machine.  Also what is tangential cutting?

Called Summa and talked to a sales rep and he feels that, that machine being as old as it is would probably be more trouble than it's worth.  He also really dogged US Cutter's machines and said best to go with them, Roland, or Graphtec all of which I don't think I'll find one I can afford.

I would definitely take his advice on the summa. Those guys know their stuff but the budget cutters work a lot better than they want to admit. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't go back now but having a cheaper cutter made me better at what I do now. If you learn the tricks then when you are ready to upgrade you will appreciate the quality when you get it.

• Like 1

I also started with budget machines before stepping up to graphtec and I can vouch for the laser point 2 and have heard good things about the SC series from us cutter.

I am one wind gust from a fast moving snail away from buying the SC.  I had someone earlier in this thread post an ebay package with a 34" SC for $529 + $79 shipping, that I liked a lot, but also am intrigued by the one on the US Cutter website that comes with the 24" SC for $724 and $9 shipping.  Either US Cutter gives really good discounts on their items when buying a package or everything they sell is over priced.  Is the extra 10" going to be crucial?  I do plan on making large wall decals, eventually. 

What else comes with that 24" Sc to make it $724 +shipping?

The 25" SC cutter with stand (alone) on the UScutter website is $370.98 which includes shipping....

The 34" SC with stand (alone ) is $400.98   includes shipping. 

for $30 more you can you have a great cutter, 

I have a 30" cutter and have never needed any larger..

If wall art is in your future I would consider bigger based on all the questions I see about how to tile a job when the cutter is too small. Besides we all know bigger is better.

What about the packages?  Do you think I can do better piecing it together?  Or get a bundle? 

The xtra money is because of that Mega Clipart package,  which is valued at $198.00      Buy only what you need,  the sellers are the one's that make the money off of packages.

You can find all kinds of clipart a whole lot cheaper than that, on EBAY..

Well you set yourself up for this next question.  I know I need a:

Cutter

Weeding tools

Cutting mat

straight edge

application tools (Which ones)

vinyl

application tape

probably wouldn't hurt to get some banners to mess with.

Anything else?  And what do you recommend with in these categories? (There it is!  The BIG question!)  I don't know what's worse...Knowing nothing or knowing I know nothing?

Cutter?  buy the best you can afford.   My signature has my info.  I started with a 30" Seiki vinyl cutter.  Upgraded 14 months later...

Weeding tools.   I use basting needles.  Pointed down tweezers, and  sharp scissors.  Metal handled exacto knife.  #11 blade

I don't use a cutting mat.   I just cut the crap out of my 8 ft  resin table, that I got at Menards.  LOL   That is what it was intended for.

I use a 4ft level from Menards,  I mostly don't need it.  I use my scissors to cut long full side graphics, I trim away as much as I can to save on shipping costs. And a tape measure.

I have 4" squeeggees, and different sizes of felt faced squeegees that I made, but I don't apply anything,  All shipped.

I use mostly Oracal vinyl,  some General Formulations, some Avery.  15" ,24" ,and 30"

I use Main Perfect Tear medium tack application tape.

I use a Mask-Rite transfer tape applicator.  Little pricey, but works great, nothing attached to the table, and I can tape any length.   Standard works for up to 24" wide transfer tape.  I also have a 30" one.   When I'm done using it, I just lay it under my table.

My niche' is making full side vehicle graphics and stripes. for vehicles.

My boxes are purchased from Uline.com,  Very few can I use from the post office. But I use some free ones.

Been doing this for 7 years,  all I need.

I don't do signs or banners.  I make graphic designs.

• Like 1