Bruisbe

Blade Life

How long do blades typically last...Of course I know that depends on how many cuts you are doing...but how much vinyl are you going through before you are needing to change a blade...Also whats the best way to tell that a blade is getting dull and not just needing more pressure??

• Like 1

I only cut regular vinyl. and an occasional chrome decal. And I cut several orders of large decal sets almost everyday. Some times even more.   My blades last for at least 9 months and more.  I just give them  a little more down force.   If I would have to keep adding more down force,  to cut thru, it's time for a new blade.   I use a regular Graphtec blade that I purchase from Seiki tech.

• Like 1

if I start noticing the cuts aren't clean and smooth i replace the blade - I get about 11 months on the cleancut in the roland and graphtec.  - back with the cheaper ones seems like I was changing them every 3-4 weeks - had quite a pile of them.  If you look at the blade thru a jewelers loupe it will show the edge wearing or a broken tip

• Like 2

Might have to get me one of those just to help judge if a blade is going bad or just needs more pressure...Thanks for the info guys..

Maybe you don't have your blade set correctly, 

, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

I just ordered a set of 5 blades from China, $4 delivered, and when they arrived, I noticed they had the blue caps, instead of red.

I'll be OK just using them anyway, right?

Just different angle and I can't remember which is which, 45 or 60. 

OK, yeah, they're 60* (bluecaps) and I was just wondering if there would be some different results by having them cut through regular calendared vinyl, and from what I'm being told here, the answer is "no" and just go ahead and use 'em as if they were 45*

By the way, I haven't replaced a blade in a Lonnnnnnnng time and actually still have a few of those spares that came with my new cutter last May.

And I churn through a lot of vinyl.

Just figured for four bucks, I could have extras around for 2014.

YouTube%20-%20Some%20Edges%20through%20t

The booklet  I got with mine said the blade should last about about 6 months depending on use... Looks like everybody seems to be getting a lot more than that. I found a pack of 6 45* blades on Amazon for around $14 So I should be for a while

33 minutes ago, Chuck Birchfield said:

The booklet  I got with mine said the blade should last about about 6 months depending on use... Looks like everybody seems to be getting a lot more than that. I found a pack of 6 45* blades on Amazon for around $14 So I should be for a while

many many of us that go 8+ months use cleancut blades and that is cutting a lot of vinyl daily.  if you check most of the forums and groups you will find the old timers use cleancut for the great cuts and long life - they cost as much each as you paid for the pack but not messing with blades for 8-10 months with heavy use is a plus for most of us.  now with that said do a bunch of glitter and reflective and see how long they last :)

Clean Cut blades are very worth it. I believe the USCutter website has some re-branded clean cut blades but can't remember if that is accurate. Someone will chime in on that 

You would be surprised how much it helps with a good quality blade. 

My blade lasted for 2 years and went thru a lot of cuts, 651,751, 3m camo ,carbon fiber .Probable still had life left ,but i just felt like changing it out ...

22 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

many many of us that go 8+ months use cleancut blades and that is cutting a lot of vinyl daily.  if you check most of the forums and groups you will find the old timers use cleancut for the great cuts and long life - they cost as much each as you paid for the pack but not messing with blades for 8-10 months with heavy use is a plus for most of us.  now with that said do a bunch of glitter and reflective and see how long they last :)

I don't do that much cutting, so I'm sure for the most part that these will do fine for me for now.  I was talking to a friend at work today who said he bought some reflective a while back and was going to get me some to try out. When it comes to it, if a better quality blade is needed, I will definitely check out cleancuts. thanks for the info

I actually use the blade that has been in my regular blade holder for 8 months and move it to my reflective holder as the reflective we don't do near as fine of detail.  That is why they make different quality of blades so there is one to fit everyones budget :)

black is regular vinyl, unmarked is laminated, red is reflective and I think blue was htv for some reason but I just use the regular blade for that now

P4030002.JPG

last pic is for the roland and this one is for the graphtec - added a couple more since then - most now are the generic silver graphtec compatible holders

zzzzmsg-4069-0-74299800-1460507543.jpg

Scott I really like your color code system. Blade holders for my machine are $80 each so I just have one regular and one for heavy cutting 60deg. 

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Scott I really like your color code system. Blade holders for my machine are $80 each so I just have one regular and one for heavy cutting 60deg. 

I found the chinese knock off holders work just as good as the expensive graphtec ones except I don't cry as long when I feel one needs replaced - :)

• Like 2