Sign in to follow this  
RHConcepts

Shirts and weight question

I'm still thinking about doing shirts and I have some vinyl coming this week. So I went to Walmart to buy a few test shirts. Now I'm looking online to see what I can order and for how much if I end up doing this. I see some shirts go from 4 oz up to 6 oz and wanted to know is that the true weight of the shirt ? The Fruit of the Loom I got is 8.2 oz  so how much thinner is a 6.2 oz shirt and can you tell the difference? I don't want to sell white see through shirts so what is the cut off weight for good shirts?

If I remember correctly the weights are based on a yard of material, not the finished product. 5.3 oz. is a lightweight tee and 6 oz. is considered a heavyweight tee (this is what I stock). I haven't noticed 4 oz except in polyester and the are ultralight and breathable like sports jersey material. Only place I've run into 8 oz. is sweatshirts, hoodies, etc.

6 oz is usually the heavy weight shirt... I stick with 100% cotton tees, and I don't have a problem with the white ones from Port and Company (Sanmar brand) being see-through...  I actually prefer the Sanmar PC61 shirts - they're pretty sturday and don't show through...

I got away from Gildan's and stock only Sanmar PC61 for t-shirts also. Nobody has ever had anything bad to say about them.

I recommend Hanes 5250 tagless tees, they are a decent quality shirt at a decent price. I have been getting them from Jiffyshirts.

I looked at the shirts I have now from car shows and what not and they are all Gildan's. But I see many of you talk about Sanmar so I will check them out. And thanks for clearing up the weight part of it.

But now I have to ask you all this, do you wash them before you apply the vinyl? My shirt that I just got was 8.2 oz and after the wash it was 8.0 oz so makes me wonder what was in the fabric to make it 2 tenths of a oz heaver. Im sure if you wash them you don't add fabric softener to them right?

No need to wash them.  Some guys will use a sticky lint roller on the shirt just before applying to remove loose fibers, dirt, cat hair if you have pets and work out of your house.  

My shirt that I just got was 8.2 oz and after the wash it was 8.0 oz so makes me wonder what was in the fabric to make it 2 tenths of a oz heaver. Im sure if you wash them you don't add fabric softener to them right?

A lot of clothing manufacturers including "sizing", a starch type spray that stiffens the fabric and helps keep it wrinkle free while it's being shipped and displayed.  That, plus washing and drying it will shrink it slightly which will reduce the amount of air trapped in the weave of the fabric, but not enough that you would probably measure the difference in air on a scale accurate to 0.1 ounces...

I do not wash shirts prior to pressing and/or selling.  You never know what allergies your customers might have and you want them to be responsible for what detergent and fabric softeners are used - not you.  I also don't want to pay the water, detergent and electric costs associated with doing someone else's laundry...

No need to wash them.  Some guys will use a sticky lint roller on the shirt just before applying to remove loose fibers, dirt, cat hair if you have pets and work out of your house.  

Yes. This.  Stock up on lint rollers whenever you see them on sale.  I go through them quickly because I have two dogs in my home and their hair seems to end up everywhere...

what they said, plus I don't like trying to fight a washed garment. They tend to shrink and go out of shape a little and it is harder to get things centered and laying flat. I buy shirts from Jiffy and Sanmar. Jiffy doesn't care if you have a re-sellers license either. I also buy from Statononline they are a wholesaler that sometimes can save you a few bucks. 

Wow great info, thanks everyone.

I just picked up a few Gliden shirts from Michaels for 3.00 a shirt, just to play with.