Sign in to follow this  
plbrooks

Cutter just "stops"...

I've got a Creation PCut 1300 and I use SignCut Pro.  I use a USB cable between the cutter and the computer.  At times when I send a file to the cutter it says it's cutting on the computer, but the display on the cutter says "working usb" and production comes to a halt. I unplug the cable, power down the cutter, close out of SignCut, restart the cutter, restart SignCut, plug everything back in, and it MAY work for one file... then it goes back to acting stupid.  Sometimes swapping the cable works, sometimes not, sometimes rebooting the computer works along with rebooting the cutter, sometimes not...  and it's getting frustrating.  New cutter is being looked at, but in the meantime, I gotta get this job done.  Any ideas on what to do to get this thing to cooperate?

Thanks!

Have you tried to remove and reinstall signcutpro. Haven't used that in about a year but if i remember I had to do that on a couple of occasions.

Yes, have done that a couple of times too... and it seems to be only a temporary fix...  :(

Do you have signblazer in your computer? If so you could try that at least to narrow down if it's a software issue or whether you need to look in a different direction.

It's worth a try and may help narrow down what's causing the problem.

Do you have the option of using a serial cable? My PCut came with one. I had similar issues and by switching to a serial connection they all went away.

I looked at the back of the computer and it looks like there's a connection for a serial cable there - I don't remember that kind of cable coming with the cutter but I'll definitely look...  just reinstalled SignCut and cussed a lot at the computer and the cutter and now it seems to be... oh wait, can't say that because it'll hear me!! ;-)  Thansk for all the suggestions - will definitely try them! 

it is probably either the usb cable or the flaky usb converter chipset they install in them - if you can go serial and it should fix it - just for grins you might try another quality usb cable and use a back port on the computer

I have a model 1200. I think you are experiencing the dreaded static electricity problem that plagues the P-Cuts. I ended up getting some of the anti-static spray that you would use for fabric and give things a good spray and it basically eliminated this problem for me. I don't remember the wording that showed up on my screen on the cutter but it sound like the same thing you are getting. It'e not your software and I don't think a serial cable will fix it either. I cut off a USB just fine. It will sit there forever and never finish. Very aggravating and ruined vinyl. Seems like I had to let mine sit for a while, like an hour to get it to start back up and work properly again too so if you are trying to just restart it may need to de-energize. Good luck. My final permanent cure was a new Summa cutter but I still have the P-Cut for back-up.   

Uninstalling and then reinstalling SignCut seems to have fixed it for now... but will try all advice at least once!!  You guys are the best - I knew there was a reason that I found this group!!   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My experience with signcutpro was sketchy at best. The program had some great features but I found it to be rather unstable.

Once I started spraying anti-static cling around the area before cutting I didn't have near as many problems. The P-Cut didn't like doing large numbers of copies. I kept it to maybe 10 of any one item. I attributed that to small memory but not sure.

I had great success with Signcut so it probably boils down to what you get used to. In fact when I bought the Summa I didn't like the basic cutting tools it comes with and looked into upgrading to a full version and it is a lot of coin so I contacted SignCut and they wrote some drivers for me to run the Summa and I'm back using it with the Summa.

On the P-Cut having the step-by-step cutting that is available in signcut is a real nice tool for long graphics it makes the tracking issues bearable.