Sign in to follow this  
solantis

Using printers blade to cut out artwork

When printing rectangle vinyls I have noticed some printers cut the vinyls out by hand with a blade. I use the multi purpose blade on the printer. Is there any particular reason for this?

No reason I could think of unless they have a cheaper cutter and by rectangle you mean car stripes. The cheaper cutters rarely can track well enough to make a long rectangle and have the cut connect at the end. I cut all of mine by hand until I upgraded cutters and now I can run 15' stripes no problem.

Solantis has a printer/cutter I think - If referring to the cut off blade it doesn't cut smooth cuts like the contour blade but again I don't think we fully understand what you are saying.  I can do long cuts on the roland after printing and its accurate.  What printer do you have?

I'm so used to the cutter people saying they print that it never even crossed my mind that he actually prints. Only reason I could think is if they're laminating it may be faster to cut with a straightedge that reload it and find reg. marks and cut.