Sign in to follow this  
Fatboy

New guy from Chicago

Hello everyone

Happy to make my introduction my name is Joel and I live in Chicago, Illinois

I havent bought a vinyl cutter yet because i havent decided on what i wanna get.

My budget is about 1300-1400

I'm looking to get a tshirt press as well either now or later on down the road.

Anyways I've worked with vinyl cutting a few times but i didnt know that there was such a selection to choose from.

Right now I'm looking at the 50" SC series.

Or even the Laserpoint II 50" cutter

I would be using the cutter to make a few signs for my job (Home Depot)

And probably be making shirts for random fund raisers with my store

Also i do my own custom car work and i would be providing decals for that as well.

such as random 12" designs and the occasional big projects

A few store front signs.

If it makes any difference i will be using a MAC computer to run my machine so i guess keep that in mind. I see some cutters arent compatible with mac thats why i mention it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone

I have the SC I'm happy with it, the 34 inch. I don't think I've cut anything bigger than 12inches.

I don't have much experience with MAC, I use windows vista no issues yet.

Good luck a lot of good info here

why the 50"?   if design elements are smaller it can be assembled from smaller cut items.  I had a 50" and found I used that very very little and downsized to be more accurate 24".  Have you looked into what oracal, 3m materials are available in the 48" size - it is very very limited in color (unless you buy wrap material)  mainly you will be stuck with white, black, red, blue, green in limited colors.  Have you used the search box at the top of this screen to check the accuracy of the cutter you are looking at for long runs? I would question if that particular cutter will do accurage vehicle length graphics accurately and end a cut connecting to the other end - it might but I have no experiece with that particular cutter - just similar chinese import off brands and that makes me question the accuracy

Search before you buy - if you really feel you need a 50" then watch cl for a used graphtec or roland in that size - might be a little more but accuracy will be much better

Hi Joel, I will highly suggest a 34" (29" practical cutting width) because that's the size vinyl which is easiest to handle (weeding, taping)

Forget dealing with a t-shirt press at first, don't even bother until you've got the hang of things.

USCUTTER is offering the COPAM cp3050 for just a grand.

Grab it and go forward, you will be much happier with the COPAM than the SC or LPII.

You'll make your money back quickly once people realize you are set up for signs & decals.

I own a shop and have a 24" and 31" cutter and can tell you that in 5 years I have only needed to tile 2 jobs due to the size of my machines. I would not want to think about applying app tape to 48" material let alone the actual application to substrate especially since I do most of this by myself.

• Like 1

You can get a graphtec for 1600.00 if you cant afford that go with the 24 inch co-pam with either you can recoup most of your investment should you change your mind.

Hi Joel, I will highly suggest a 34" (29" practical cutting width) because that's the size vinyl which is easiest to handle (weeding, taping)

Forget dealing with a t-shirt press at first, don't even bother until you've got the hang of things.

USCUTTER is offering the COPAM cp3050 for just a grand.

Grab it and go forward, you will be much happier with the COPAM than the SC or LPII.

You'll make your money back quickly once people realize you are set up for signs & decals.

Thanks for the info! 

I was looking through some posts on here and i've seen your work and it looks great!

I'm gonna go with the Copam 3050 35" model. 

I'm assuming i should also go with the "sign in the box" add on kit? 

thanks for your response man! 

Joel, I've been doing work at my little sign store for a few years now, and I appreciate your feedback on my efforts.

Check out the new HEXIS product from USCUTTER (featured on their website), it appears to be a great thing for you to stock and provide to your car-enthusiast customers.

Not sure about the Sign-Shop-in-a-Box promotion, is this what you are referring to? ===

http://www.uscutter.com/New-Sign-Shop-In-a-Box-Weeding-Application-Tools

Yeah that was one of the "add on" options to buying the cutter. 

You think it would be best to get that instead of trying to look for everything i would need individually ?

Yeah man your work is dope! 

I'm gonna look at the HEXIS stuff now, thanks! 

Also what software are you using?

I have all the latest adobe software (photoshop, bridge, etc..) my girlfriend got it for me. Well technically she got it from school then gave them to me lol 

A friend of mine has the Corel programs he said he could get for me. any ideas?

Pick 1 vector program and stick with it. They will all do what you need but trying to learn too much at once will be overwhelming. I'd suggest either Corel or Illustrator.

Yeah man your work is dope! 

I try.

Also what software are you using?

I have all the latest adobe software (photoshop, bridge, etc..) my girlfriend got it for me. Well technically she got it from school then gave them to me lol 

A friend of mine has the Corel programs he said he could get for me. any ideas?

I have no clue about graphics.

My entire experience with cutting revolves around SignBlazer Elements.

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

As for the $229. expenditure for the entire set of tools and accessories and sign blanks, I would imagine that it's worthwhile.

Since you're a newcomer to the sign-making game, there's a lot of value included.

For instance, you will obtain a pair of 5-foot long Insta-Banners and can get $30 each at retail

Also, 2 car-door magnets which can be sold for $60 a set

Then, four 10oz. banners (4-feet long) easily selling to clients that need small banners for $25 each

By my calculations, that's your investment back, and you get to keep all the tools and other stuff, for free.